Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I totally agreed with Darran's editor's column whereby he stated "This month's cover is one of my favourites for a very long time."
Agreed, it is utterly sublime

User avatar
fulgenzio
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:12 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by fulgenzio » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:19 pm

Can someone post the cover?

User avatar
DreamcastRIP
Posts: 9376
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am
Location: England

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:43 pm

fulgenzio wrote:Can someone post the cover?
I don't have a scan but the cover is shown in the preview video made by one certain Amstrad CPC fanatic :mrgreen: -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3-2V8h5 ... ature=plcp

EDIT:
Here's a pic of it on jdanddiet's blog - http://jdanddiet.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11 ... r-109.html
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by The Laird » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Image

User avatar
jdanddiet
Posts: 9026
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:03 am
Location: Essex
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:16 am

Hey is that my dining room table? :mrgreen:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

User avatar
mlucifersam
Posts: 278
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:08 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by mlucifersam » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:59 am

I agree, this is the best cover I've seen all year.

I wonder if Chris or Tim Stamper will pick one up from their WHsmiths!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

psj3809
Posts: 18891
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by psj3809 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:19 am

theantmeister wrote:Meh, I find i aesthetically displeasing and I don't have any sentimental attachment to the games featured so, whatever. It's the content that counts and it looks like this issue won't disappoint!

On a side note, I haven't ever played an Ultimate game. I also hate most of Rare's back catalogue, so I guess I'm not the person that cover was designed for.
Exactly some covers will appear to some, others wont. Considering its Ultimates 30th birthday and they were HUGE in the UK in the retro years its obvious Retro Gamer would feature it, be ridiculous not to. Some months i'm not keen on the cover but can understand it appeals to others, the mags not just for me personally so there will be some months i'm not keen on. I've never been a Street Fighter fan but can understand others like it.

I do find it crazy you have never played an Ultimate game though, i mean surely you've heard of them yet you've never been tempted to see what the fuss was about ? Find that strange. I dont like Pokemon/Street Fighter but i gave them a try to see what the fuss was about, just werent for me though. If people were talking about game xxxxx on MAME (or a feature in Retro gamer) for example i would be intrigued to see what they were talking about etc and try the game.

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by theantmeister » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:42 pm

psj3809 wrote:I do find it crazy you have never played an Ultimate game though, i mean surely you've heard of them yet you've never been tempted to see what the fuss was about ? Find that strange. I dont like Pokemon/Street Fighter but i gave them a try to see what the fuss was about, just werent for me though. If people were talking about game xxxxx on MAME (or a feature in Retro gamer) for example i would be intrigued to see what they were talking about etc and try the game.
Yes and I do do that quite often, but I'm really not a Rare fan (at all) and if that is anything to go by, I don't think I would like Ultimate's games. Of all the Speccy games featured (endlessly :wink: ) in the mag, I think Raf Cecco's games are the only ones that I've been tempted to have a go at. And the Miner Willy games. And perhaps Skool Daze, just to see how it works.

User avatar
Fawltykog
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:41 am
Location: Down 't Pits

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Fawltykog » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:04 pm

Excellent issue, as ever!

Really enjoyed the interview with Eugene Evans, always had a interest in Imagine Software's rise & fall and hope someday the whole tragic tale will be published in book form.

:arrow: Falt$

psj3809
Posts: 18891
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by psj3809 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:42 am

theantmeister wrote:Yes and I do do that quite often, but I'm really not a Rare fan (at all) and if that is anything to go by, I don't think I would like Ultimate's games. Of all the Speccy games featured (endlessly :wink: ) in the mag, I think Raf Cecco's games are the only ones that I've been tempted to have a go at. And the Miner Willy games. And perhaps Skool Daze, just to see how it works.
It is worth trying Knight Lore or Alien 8 (or simply watching a youtube video !). Granted a lot of games do obviously age but if you look at a lot of games out at the time in 1984, there were still BASIC games being sold, Knight Lore just looked stunning at the time, granted there was slowdown in some rooms ! But for a Speccy with just 48k Knight Lore really did blow people away. Bit like Elite, Elite looks very old now and some people might look at it and think 'meh' but again its another 'at the time' it really was stunning.

More simple basic games like Jet Pac / Trans Am which were 16k masterpieces by Ultimate in 1983 were also way and above so many games at the time.

Yep please have a go of Manic Miner, classic platformer. As you say Cecco's games are visually great to look at and play very well. Skool Daze is tricky but is an excellent game.

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2849
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:38 am

psj3809 wrote:
theantmeister wrote:Yes and I do do that quite often, but I'm really not a Rare fan (at all) and if that is anything to go by, I don't think I would like Ultimate's games. Of all the Speccy games featured (endlessly :wink: ) in the mag, I think Raf Cecco's games are the only ones that I've been tempted to have a go at. And the Miner Willy games. And perhaps Skool Daze, just to see how it works.
It is worth trying Knight Lore or Alien 8 (or simply watching a youtube video !). Granted a lot of games do obviously age but if you look at a lot of games out at the time in 1984, there were still BASIC games being sold, Knight Lore just looked stunning at the time, granted there was slowdown in some rooms ! But for a Speccy with just 48k Knight Lore really did blow people away. Bit like Elite, Elite looks very old now and some people might look at it and think 'meh' but again its another 'at the time' it really was stunning.

More simple basic games like Jet Pac / Trans Am which were 16k masterpieces by Ultimate in 1983 were also way and above so many games at the time.

Yep please have a go of Manic Miner, classic platformer. As you say Cecco's games are visually great to look at and play very well. Skool Daze is tricky but is an excellent game.
Good post and agree completely. When Knightlore was released, it blew people away because it was YEARS ahead of its time . . .it was a jaw dropping moment in gaming. The point about BASIC games still be sold then is an excellent one.

I played Jetpac for an hour or so yesterday... brilliant....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Trickster
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Trickster » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:05 pm

psj3809 wrote: Yep please have a go of Manic Miner, classic platformer. As you say Cecco's games are visually great to look at and play very well. Skool Daze is tricky but is an excellent game.
I still don't get the ongoing love for Manic Miner . It is terrible slow and the music makes me want to vomit (I know the Spectrum had its limitations and I don't want to disrespect Matthew Smiths developing skills in any way!).

Super Mario Bros. was released two years later and it seems as if it hasn't aged any day. It is still as relevant as a game from a gameplay perspective.
Manic Miner just feels and looks old.
I can imagine why people loved it back in the day but why on earth should I play this now besides out of nostalgia or "retro gaming history curiosity"?


Fair enough to cover it in a Retro Gamer magazine of course but I don't think that younger readers will ever get back to most of the games of that time period (here I include most Ultimate games).
I think it's quite different with games of the late 8-bit and especially 16-bit era. Many handheld games still look and feel like games from back then.
2D gameplay hitted it's peak in the early 90s and many young gamers still have fun playing games on SNES/Mega Drive.


But nevermind, the issue looks great (I'm actually looking forward to read the Ultimate story and I like the cover)!
Half Life, Kirby, Mode 7 etc. and I'm already very excited about your bullfrog article in the christmas issue!
Thanks for that!

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26864
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 pm

I was playing PacManicMiner at Replay the other week. Hasn't aged at all, its still every bit as challenging as bitd and every death still seems 'fair'.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
pathnotfound
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:36 am
Location: Manchester

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by pathnotfound » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:53 am

I buy the mag from time to time, and I think the balance between old and new is just perfect, I love reading about retro stuff, but also a little nod to the new stuff is great, I read every thing inside it, rather than just buying an xbox mag and having one or two things of interest to read, keep up the great work.
Best mag on the shelf by far.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6766
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 109 Official Feedback

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:01 pm

pathnotfound wrote:I buy the mag from time to time, and I think the balance between old and new is just perfect, I love reading about retro stuff, but also a little nod to the new stuff is great, I read every thing inside it, rather than just buying an xbox mag and having one or two things of interest to read, keep up the great work.
Best mag on the shelf by far.
Thanks for the kind words. You should be being it all the time though :P
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests