how much do you spend

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: how much do you spend

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Phoenix wrote:Every pound is a prisoner, that's my motto.

i never buy new games, anything north of a tenner for a 360 game brings me out in a cold sweat. I've been trading on ebay so long, the idea of buying new seems foreign, like something that other people do. Perhaps I know that the good games will always be good, but they wont always be expensive, and I have such a back catalogue there is no point paying 40 quid now to play a game that will be 10 quid in a year's time. I just have too many great games still to play.

So I probably spend £20 a month max, but this will buy me 3 or 4 games, around 1 a week on ebay or local charity shops.
Yeah, I'm the same. New release prices are horrendous, I used to buy something I wanted the instant it came out, but now I'm happy to wait. I may buy one in the xmas lineup but only if raved about in reviews. I usually look for high rating games a few months old when everyones done with them :lol:

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 am

kiwimike wrote:Yeah, I'm the same. New release prices are horrendous, I used to buy something I wanted the instant it came out, but now I'm happy to wait. I may buy one in the xmas lineup but only if raved about in reviews. I usually look for high rating games a few months old when everyones done with them :lol:
That's more like it!

The only trouble I have had recently is with DLC - if you go for second hand games on a 360 then there may be content you can't access, as it was downloaded by the original owner. I even had an issue with a game with DLC because I upgraded my Xbox, and I couldn't transfer the content to the new box. Really frustrating!

So buying new (but later) is the way to go with these kinds of games
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Way too much, I get paranoid that RPGs will become ultra-rare and go for extortionate prices so I buy often end up buying them new, especially if there's an incentive to do so (Nintendo coins, PSP special editions). Same sort of thing with Nintendo games that hold their value for years, may as well buy new and get the pre-order bonus.
Then of course there's a re-print or the titles crash in price, meanwhile the games I leave are the ones that become valuable, I'll never learn.

On the other hand I never buy PS3 games until they're cheap and I use itunes vouchers I've been given as gifts for iOS games.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:41 pm

Flint wrote:Way too much, I get paranoid that RPGs will become ultra-rare and go for extortionate prices so I buy often end up buying them new, especially if there's an incentive to do so (Nintendo coins, PSP special editions). Same sort of thing with Nintendo games that hold their value for years, may as well buy new and get the pre-order bonus.
Then of course there's a re-print or the titles crash in price, meanwhile the games I leave are the ones that become valuable, I'll never learn.

On the other hand I never buy PS3 games until they're cheap and I use itunes vouchers I've been given as gifts for iOS games.
I used to do the same regarding RPGs - then I realised I wasn't playing them, and they weren't that expensive after a while. I now just buy the ones I really want, and save the money. If they do go up in value, its no big deal - I've saved a lot of money not buying every one of the other ones!