how much do you spend

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: how much do you spend

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:06 pm

Usually up to the RRP of a brand-new release and below (I only buy personal 'must have' games at full RRP, I wait for the others to come down in price in case I don't get on with them). If something older is rarer and has a justified high price tag AND I really want to play it/own it (as opposed to only being mildly interested), I'll still buy it. At the end of the day, there are some games that you just won't find for two quid in a charity shop or at a carboot so it has to be done from time to time.

At the moment however, I'm on a spending ban unless something comes up at a bargain price on here for example - I'm not actively seeking out things is what I mean to say. Got a car MOT and service due in a month, Christmas in a few months and my first car insurance renewal at the start of the new year which will still be in excess of a grand so I'm in saving mode :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:38 pm

^ There's no need to pay RRP for ANY game - someone, somewhere will ALWAYS have it cheaper.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:42 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ There's no need to pay RRP for ANY game - someone, somewhere will ALWAYS have it cheaper.
Probably phrased that wrong. I meant paying day one prices for a brand-new release but if I can only get something I want on day one for the full price (such as really obscure/limited release titles or Limited Editions) then I'm fine with it. Obviously I'll always try and get something as cheap as possible on day even if it is a day one purchase.

There are very few games that I actually bother getting on day one though to be fair. Usually just the latest fighter but even then I have to be really hyped for it. I just can't afford to be shelling out on day one for absolutely everything that interests me and I'm sure everybody else is the same.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Not as much as i used to. When i first joined here i was hunting on Ebay every month for all those precious games i missed as a child without disposable income. Now i've amassed so much unplayed stuff that i cant really justify spending on a game unless:

A) I really MUST own it and plan on playing it immediately.

B) Its a limited edition that i believe will become hard to source or rocket in price. Or if its a "Tales of" game that gets a small print run and fetches double its price after a few months :evil:
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:41 pm

In the last year I think I've only spent £30 on PS+, and about £5 on Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock. That's it!

I've had so many games with PS+ that even though I've been playing games almost every day I've still got several in the queue and haven't had chance to buy Modern Warfare 3 from a year ago.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:06 pm

£50 a month generally, most modern games I buy 2 for £15/20. Still buy 90% of retro at Playtime in Sheffield, nice to walk into a store and just pay over the counter (hardly ever use ebay anymore).

Montytom

Post by Montytom » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Thanks guys interesting to hear what you spend. Ive already gone over budget this month and decided that £20 is never enough.If i see something im just going to buy it. Lifes to short and you cant take it with you can you

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 pm

I dont have a budget as such...buy as much or as little as I want as I earn decent money and have no kids!! :)

Its usually only one or 2 new releases a month though and never more than one at a time. Bought too many games over the years that have sat unplayed.

As I trade in its probably works out to £50 a month...

New console releases normally bump that up but the Wii U is the first console released in years I have no interest in buying!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:53 pm

I don't keep an accurate track of how much money I spend a month but I'll bet it's a lot more than I think it is!

Digital downloads really push the tally up for me! I'm always buying PSN & XBLA releases on the day they're available or at discounted prices.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:56 am

When I bought the 360 earlier in the year I had a wee buying spree, but settled back down again, and get a game or two a month. Usually a cash converters or an online one day sale thing.
IN the xmas releases I may buy a new release if one REALLY takes my fancy. Black Ops 2 perhaps (after reading some reviews)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:27 am

I'll definitely be over budget this month unless I can find someone selling PES 2013 on 360 for a tenner... :?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:55 am

I spend probably £30 a month on iOS stuff. I normally buy vouchers online so that 30 quid might be a £40 voucher.

With that i dont just buy games, often music/films/books/comics and keeps me going for the month if not more.

ninty

Post by ninty » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:40 am

I'm well over budget this month after just purchasing a minty n64 game I've been looking ages for :D It's only the 1st today , I'm buggered :oops: :lol:

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:59 pm

I don't spend half as much as I used to. Single-handedly paying for my mortgage now, and going out more often means I don't have as much disposable income. I think I'm probably spending between £30-£70 per month on games & merchandise at the moment.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:37 pm

Every pound is a prisoner, that's my motto.

i never buy new games, anything north of a tenner for a 360 game brings me out in a cold sweat. I've been trading on ebay so long, the idea of buying new seems foreign, like something that other people do. Perhaps I know that the good games will always be good, but they wont always be expensive, and I have such a back catalogue there is no point paying 40 quid now to play a game that will be 10 quid in a year's time. I just have too many great games still to play.

So I probably spend £20 a month max, but this will buy me 3 or 4 games, around 1 a week on ebay or local charity shops.
Click to follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/RetrogamesNow
My Retro Games Hubpage http://rolyretro/hubpages.com