Am I the only one...

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Bobinator

Am I the only one...

Post by Bobinator » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Who thinks the 90's were pretty much the best thing ever? As in, pretty much the pinnacle of human achievement? Honestly, I'm more just rambling at the moment, thinking out loud, but still.

I suppose I'm a little bit biased, being born in '92. So I got to skip those awkward transitioning years when the 80's were just barely clinging to life, and ended up experiencing the 90's straight from the best part, I'd say. It's not like I think the 80's were devoid of merit, really. I'd say the music ended up being way better, overall. But for the most part, everything the 90's did ended up being way better, I'd say. CD-ROMs, games like Sonic and Street Fighter, and some of the best cartoons ever made, like Batman: The Animated Series and Freakazoid.

But, that's just my opinion, anyway. :P Just figured I'd share it with you all.

noobish hat

Re: Am I the only one...

Post by noobish hat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:24 pm

I think it's very difficult to divorce yourself from the decade you grew up in.I LOVE everything about the 90s, but I don't know if I'd say it's the best, since there are so many things from the 70s and 80s that I love too. Any one of those decades is definitely better than the 2000s though.

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:59 pm

:lol:

The '90s were a massive disappointment for me after the '80s. The '80s were almost perfect in every way with regards to music, films, TV, the beginning of home computers and the amazing leaps in technology. I feel very fortunate to have been there at the beginning of computing and experienced what I did. I've always felt sorry for people who missed the '80s.

Every decade since has been worst than the previous one. I don't think the world will ever be as good again.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:32 pm

Yeah i'm biased ! But i'm glad i grew up in the 80's and 90's. The 70's seemed depressing, music, TV, life in general, whenever i see stuff on the news about the 70's it seems so gloomy

The 80's seemed quite a happy era to me at least as a kid, music/home computers were amazing. The amount of games out back then, loved it. The 90's i loved due to the music, growing up, first job etc, first girlfriend, drinking/pubs, great times. The rise of the internet was fascinating back then.

The 00's were a mixed bag, music generally was crap, less pub visits as well ! 90's was the best era for me

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:46 pm

I'm thinking the 40s would be the best in terms of music and cartoons, the 60s for comics, the 70s and 80s for films, and... the 90s for games and some more films. The 00s were a bit wank overall.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

noobish hat

Post by noobish hat » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:55 pm

40s were probably the best decade for war, too, I reckon.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

Oh, undoubtedly!
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 am

I think the years you experience between the ages of 6 and 12 are the ones you most fondly remember. Old enough to take most of it in, young enough not to worry about the future.

The years between 1988 and 1994 were awesome anyway though - Ox Tales, GamesMaster, Wowser and Round The Bend on the telly, LFC still winning things, the emergence of bands like Nirvana and Soundgarden, proper comics still on the shelves and best of all my introduction to gaming!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:01 am

I must admit i was a born again gamer in the mid-late 90's when i discovered emulators for the first time. Then in the early 00's when i got my first Pocket PC (Bit like an early iOS gadget), tons of emulators, games all in the palm of my hand, loved it. It was like a dream to someone who grew up in the 80's, 20 odd years later and here in my hand i had 600 Speccy games and more !

As you know i love iOS gaming so the last 18 months have been brilliant, been like a kid in the 80's buying all these cheap games, most of which are great and having a gadget in my hand which can do so much, amazing.

Musically the 00's has been dire, every song in the charts seem to have 'feat' in the bands name ! X-Factor etc ruined the charts, Top of the Pops ended because of the amount of crap arriving.

But like you say you obviously have a huge fond memory for the era you grew up in (same for computers). But yeah in the 90's with the 'pub years' for me and trying to chase any girl i could, those were great times !

ismellicecream

Post by ismellicecream » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am

Born in 92? I'm such an old fart. In 92 I was sagging off 6th form, preferring to stay home with a spliff and a pot noodle, watching beavis and butthead. What a waste :D

80's all the way for me, 86 being my favourite year, liverpool winning the double, fa cup final street party, mexico world cup.

This was the tune of summer 86:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-II4RLxhfQw

Take me back take me back take me back.

retrogarden

Post by retrogarden » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:38 am

No you're not :)

My 90's was from 6 to 16, so loved every minute of it.

Telly was ace, music was superb (was a Oasis guy), gaming grabbed this kid by the short 'n' curlies and one of the best World Cup's in my opinion ever.

Chuffing ruled.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 am

80's all the way for me.

The golden age for arcades, the home computing boom, Spain '82 & Mexico '86, John Hughes films, good Arnie films, tons of other stuff I can't be arsed listing just now.

Everything's been a bit beige since then.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:25 am

Something a bit worrying regarding all this struck me the other day - I realised I've spent the last three or four years researching and acquiring or re-acquiring everything I loved or even mildly liked in the late 80s or all of the 90s, meaning that there's nothing interesting or exciting in the present or future.

Is it wrong to become a nostalgic fogey by 27? Oh no!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:31 pm

retrogarden wrote:Telly was ace, music was superb (was a Oasis guy), gaming grabbed this kid by the short 'n' curlies and one of the best World Cup's in my opinion ever.

Chuffing ruled.
An Oasis guy ? Top bloke !

World Cup 90 was great, hearing that New Order song takes me back, World Cup 94 wasnt so good ! But everyone supported Ireland that month. Euro 96 again more happy memories and of course hearing the Skinner/Baddiel song.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:47 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Is it wrong to become a nostalgic fogey by 27? Oh no!
Nah - I've been one for about 15 years and I'm only three years older than you! :lol: