What size TV did you play on?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Re: What size TV did you play on?

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:21 pm

I remember going to one of my college buddy's houses back in 1998, he had a huge 52" CRT in a special room just off the house. We played Goldeneye and Mario Cart 64 a few times on that beast, it was flipping awesome! He was a lucky tosser.

As for remembering TV's that's easy, I've only had five different models. One lasted for nearly 15 years! They don't make them last that long anymore.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:56 pm

greenberet79 wrote:I remember if my mum and dad ever went out me and my brother would hook the speccy/new/snes up to the big telly downstairs, it looked amazing!
We used to do that as well. International Superstar Soccer on the big 32" ftw!

I used to have a 28" TV in my room, and that lasted for ages. It was a Samsung iirc. A beast of a telly, that broke down, but kept coming back for more. The handset was so big, it had it's own address, and looked like something from 80's Doctor Who. I loved that telly. I remember the first time I hooked my N64 up to it to play Goldeneye. Twas awesome, and a beauty to behold.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:32 am

I used to have to share the living room tv up until I got my cpc 464 and we seemed to be always getting new (but used) ones. My first portable was a 14" Schneider iirc. But it was a pile of turd and would only display computers and consoles in black and white for some reason!

I think there was more after that but I can't remember tbh, the next one I recall was a 21" alba I bought from Aldi when I was about 18 or 19 for about £100 iirc.

I then moved to Phillips and bought a 28", which came with me to my first house. That eventually died so I upgraded to a 28" Phillips widescreen. This didn't last too long either and iirc I bought my first LCD, a 32" Sony with a component hd input. I only discovered this after I got my 360. A lovely tv and it's still going strong today in my In laws front room. Since that I bought a 46" series 6 Samsung. I preferred the Sony tbh as the standard def pictures on the samsung were crap imo. I kept it for a couple or 3 years and bought another Sony, 46" 3D and all that... Much prefer it to the Samsung.

Eat your nans pants

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:35 am

I used the 28" Mivar in the living room in the 80s, and then a 14" Philips in the early 90s, both with no scart plug :evil: I switched to a 14" Saba with scart later, a great change for the better...

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:39 am

Mine was a 14" portable. Can't remember the brand, but it was a nice little set, with a horrible circular aerial. When I used to to watch TV sometimes I'd have to smack it on the side to get rid of the static!

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:29 am

Throughout the 90s, we had a Sony 21" and I had a 14" set in my room which got me through the 8-bit era (Speccy +2 and Master System 2). We then replaced the 21" set with a Sony 28" widescreen in 2002, which lasted us until last August (!) when it was finally replaced with a Sony LED TV. I do miss the beefier sound of the old set compared to the tininess of the LED models though. We still have a 21" CRT (which isn't even widescreen!) in the front living room which is rarely used as a second TV...

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:09 pm

I wasn't allowed a tv in my room when I was younger, and even when I first got my console it didn't have an aerial. I remember some form of white 14 inch or so tv as my first one, then must have upgraded at some point since to something with a scart lead, as I also have memories of finding out what a difference it made. My parents bought me a 21 inch JVC when I was 14 or so, which lasted over a decade but finally had to upgrade when I found it wouldn't run at 60mhz. It was still working fine when I left it behind on moving house. A few years ago I bought a 32 inch LG flatscreen, which is a world away in quality from the old CRT screens.

It never seems to affect anyone else, but the buzzing from the old tvs always used to give me a headache. 32 is considered pretty small now although it does me fine (and will show my retro systems just fine). Flatscreens really are one those things that I feel are a vast improvement over what came before

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:21 am

Ah, I just remembered one of my first tellys, it was a Baird. Think I had a Grundig as well.

Remember the first time you got a telly with a remote control? Amazing stuff.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:28 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Ah, I just remembered one of my first tellys, it was a Baird. Think I had a Grundig as well.

Remember the first time you got a telly with a remote control? Amazing stuff.
The first that came with a rc that I remember had one with a cable attached to it :lol: I can't remember how long the lead was, but I'm hoping it would have been at least 3 metres. The first infra red rc I remember had its own little (or should i say large) slot under the screen to stow it.

Eat your nans pants

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 am

The 14" Toshiba we had bought us in 1985 had a remote, that was something special back then. Unfortunately it went missing, probably during a failed burglary at my parents house in about 1987. They tried to steal both the 26" Sony in the living room, the 14" portable and the VHS recorder. Luckily they were disturbed and fled with our equipment abandoned on the front lawn.

Must of took some time to get the big telly out, don't know they did that. Funny thinking about it now, most modern flat screen TV's under 32" can be carried under one arm, the stuff made in the 70's to the late 90's were huge! :lol:

That little Toshiba was a fantastic telly though. Anyone remember this Toshiba TV advert from the 80's? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X97BgBKQiXg

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:30 am

I think I played on an 16" Toshima from 1996/2003.

Then it was a 18" Bush DVD/VHS combi from 2003/2006 (my parents have it now, and the DVD Player doesn't work despite the VHS still working).

Now I have a 32" Goodmans which I bought out of my own college money in 2007 which I still have to this day.

I can go as far back as 1993 when I had some crappy spare TV set (not sure what it was called) that was about 14".
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:31 pm

Funnily enough, I was looking at those old wood-finished TV's on eBay earlier on. :lol:

I had one of those, I also had a portable Phillips TV, And then I moved up in the world and had a Sanyo (about 28 inches) and then back to a Phillips portable.

I'm using a 40" Samsung LED TV these days. I'll never forget the early days with those TV's though! :wink:

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:16 pm

I used a generic 14" colour portable for many years. Even took it away to uni with me.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

yakmag

Post by yakmag » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:58 pm

First one was a 14 inch B&W one, was orange in colour with dial tuner and circle aerial.
Then got 'generic colour portable' 14 inch until I left home.
20 inch colour, seemed huuugggeee when I first got it!!
28 inch widescreen, first played resi evil on that one, great times!
32 inch widescreen, this one lasted from 2003 til last year, replaced with 'generic 42 inch LCD tv...'

So not that many when I think about it!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Don't remember the make of my first, but it was the family's 21", similar to that posted by Antmeister. When that broke (I inherited it first when we upgraded), I had to make-do with a b/w portable. Another nameless 21" colour followed before I bought a Daewoo 28". It eventually started to show a permanent discolouring before conking out. A brief (VERY brief) period then followed with it's replacement, a 32" Panasonic Viera. I now use just this Toshiba laptop. Occasionally, if my wife is feeling up for a game, we load up something energetic on Wii or PS2 using the Viera, but not as often as I'd like.