retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

AmigaJay

Re: retro games thats stunned you at the time....

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:34 pm

Dangerous Streets on the CD32...that stunned me...literally stunned me into shock on how this turd of a game could be bundled with the machine....

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:07 pm

The only game I can say really stunned me was Planetoid on the BBC the first time I saw it. It was so close to Defender in the arcades that I couldn't believe my eyes. Here was my most favourite game ever faithfully reproduced almost exactly on a home computer! I nearly fainted. It made the versions I'd played on the Atari 2600, Vic 20, C64 and ZX Sepctrum look absolutely crap.
Seeing Planetoid and all the other quality early arcade knockoffs on the Beeb had me believing for many years that the machine was massively powerful in some way compared to all the other micros knocking about at that time. I mean like, way more powerful. I thought the beeb was some sort of supercomputer tbh.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Commodore 16 - Tom Thumb

C16 - Tom Thumb Longplay

What's most stunning is that it was all crammed within 12K of memory. It's a huge map with 8-way directional scrolling, pretty neat music for the C16 and great graphics. Takes over an hour to beat in it's entirety. I was hooked on it for a longtime :shock:

van

Post by van » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:54 pm

My most recent was radiant silvergun, literally a month ago. I didn't expect a retro game to hit me like that at 35 years old. The music is majestic.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 am

virtua fighter was amazing i couldn't belive how "realistic" the 3d fighters look of cause it's still and amazing game now but the fighters don't look realistic by anymeans but that said the gta iv graphics where as close as you could get to looking out of a new york window into the street but now they look dated so i guess graphics not being everything is what makes the retro world go round
This guy are sick

Gigifusc

Post by Gigifusc » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:19 am

The open world universe of Elite was responsible for me moving from the real world to the virtual possibilities when I was 14 years old. This literally changed the course of my life and I have spent too long in that life hiding away in many virtual worlds looking for that ultimate real world get out feeling.

The Freescape games blew me away graphically. When I first saw Driller I thought I had found my alternate life.

That feeling rarely happens in these days of cardboard cut out games, but recently, 'Fez' gave me the same feeling - I fell head over heels in love with its gameplay.

Rubberkeys

Post by Rubberkeys » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:10 pm

Shenmue (DreamCast)
Resident Evil 1 (PS1)
Metal Gear Solid (PS1)
The music for Peter Pack Rat (Spectrum)
Monkey Island (Amiga)
SWOS (Amiga)

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Renegade- (Spectrum). As my first computer was an Electron, I was used to blocky-looking, often mediocre, blobby games and poor or never-released arcade conversions. My heart raced when I first played this, a fully-controllable, smoothly-animated, fun to play scrolling beat 'em up that also had some of the moodiest, most atmospheric backdrops I'd yet seen, truly a blitzkrieg of the brain 'twas this. The Electron never got played on again, and in early 1988, my little brother - curious as to what the machine's innards contained - ended up dismantling it rather savagely, f*cking it up terminally.

Mega Apocalypse on C64. Saw this on display in Microbyte, an old, local computer shop. Totally astonished by the Hubbard music, it was better than arcade games! Not only that, game just looked as smooth as butter, it made the Speccy feel a tad like the Spectrum had made the Electron feel when I first played Renegade.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PS1) - Was so used to hearing about inferior PSX conversions of Capcom 2D fighters, saw this on display in New Generation Consoles (that druggy old Leeds games shop) and could not believe what I was seeing on the PS1, went straight to the carboot that weekend and got a pirate copy of the US version. (apols if not 'retro' enough).

The Super Shinobi / The Revenge Of Shinobi (MD) - pretty obvious, really, this was truly a stunning sight to behold. I was mainly jawdropped by the waterfall level, which I still find pretty nice-looking these days.

thebear

Post by thebear » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:07 am

Galaxians (Arcade) - oooooooohh look, colour!!!

Star Wars 1983 (Arcade sit down version) - just like being in the film (at least that's how it seemed then)

Alien Trilogy (PS1) - a game that could actually make you jump and give a feeling of fear, plus having skipped the 16 bit era almost entirely, a huge graphical upgrade (I'm sure there were beter games etc, but that was the one I played round a mates after the pub one night in 96)

Morrowind (Xbox then pc) - had never played anything like it before, could literally spend hours just wandering around
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee