The Missing Retro Gamer features

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

kiwimike

Re: The Missing Retro Gamer features

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:20 am

Matt_B wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 am
I don't think it'll come to that as Indiegogo are now threatening to send in the debt collectors if they don't deliver by the end of May:

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42943355

That's assuming that there's any money left to recover, of course. Ah well, if nothing else comes out of this, there should at least be some useful precedents set about consumer rights in crowdfunded projects.
And as that comes to light, it is definitely Retro News and worth RG coverage. As the BBC are now wading in as well, definitely worthy of a story...I'm sure both sides would wish to put their case in for an interview.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:11 am

Think both sides are at fault. But some people seem to think ‘one side’ are totally innocent in all of this

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:21 am

If a feature story is to be done on the Vega+ story- absolutely both sides for want of a better term should be given the right to state their position- with evidence to back up their statements, of course.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:01 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:11 am
Think both sides are at fault. But some people seem to think ‘one side’ are totally innocent in all of this
The more salient point would be that only one side has had our money, and failed to deliver anything after two years.

Quite what the other side could have done to stop them had they actually paid their royalties, developed the product and shipped it to backers escapes me.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Contacting (allegedly) devs to tell them to retract their games from being on the Vega for one thing. Surely people don’t think the ‘other side’ are totally innocent in all of this ? You seem to think they are sadly.

Again I’m neutral. Both sides are at fault but people can’t just read one half of the story and think that’s true and just dismiss everything RCL say

As an outsider the biggest issue is the fight of the directors and ex directors as that seems to be the main issue with the court battles. I hope they release it without games so we just have to add our own as that should make things much easier. Some people just want to try and stop it at every opportunity

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:31 am

psj3809 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:21 pm
Contacting (allegedly) devs to tell them to retract their games from being on the Vega for one thing. Surely people don’t think the ‘other side’ are totally innocent in all of this ? You seem to think they are sadly.

Again I’m neutral. Both sides are at fault but people can’t just read one half of the story and think that’s true and just dismiss everything RCL say

As an outsider the biggest issue is the fight of the directors and ex directors as that seems to be the main issue with the court battles. I hope they release it without games so we just have to add our own as that should make things much easier. Some people just want to try and stop it at every opportunity
What effect do you think contacting the devs and asking them to withdraw their games would have had if the royalties had been paid out as per the original contracts? Relying on the inaction of people you've not paid is generally not considered a good business model. The problem is clearly on one side only, and it's on the side that had half a million pounds of crowdfunding given to them, a good chunk of which was expressly for that purpose. Also, it's not as if this all happened in the last month or so. The games were mostly withdrawn over a year back, and they've had ample time - and money - to procure replacements.

Finally, what effect do you think the availability of the games would have on actually developing and manufacturing the hardware and the firmware that runs upon it? None at all, so far as I can tell, yet they still don't seem to have anything to show for the last couple of years.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:32 am

The Vega+ saga HAS to be covered after the upcoming meeting.