When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowNeku

Re: What do you do?

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 11, 2012 6:47 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:Just a shelf stacker
You're not just a shelf stacker.

Its an important role in the business without which they couldn't function. It may not require years of training, but its probably more relevant to the average shopper than the position of CEO. People shouldn't downplay jobs like this.
Its more the way most other people view my job that makes me downplay it. I do a lot more than just put stuff on shelves obviously and the store would be screwed without me but most people i know have a really negative perception of this kind of work, with nearly all of them being uni students. I guess the title "Shelf Stacker" has been drilled into my head over my official job title of "Twilight Replenishment blah blah". Then again i actually have my own money to spend whilst the rest of them are in debt with no guaranteed job at the end of it so im better off than they are for the time being :)

And cheers for the advice Rojaws. Im sure it'll hit me someday. I obviously wont be there forever (really dont think i could take years more there), ill find my calling.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 11, 2012 6:52 am

Combo-Breaker wrote: Out of curiosity, What are your hours and pay?

I've always thought that stacking shelfs would be a sweet little job. :D

I'd happily do it for a living. :wink:
I do around 5 hours a night 5 days a week from 8:15pm to usually 1:30am. After 10 o clock we get premium pay so it ends up around £10 an hour (i think).
In all honesty it really isnt too bad. Its easy, its relatively decent money and i work with some friendly people. I just dont like my manager too much and there are days where it feels very monotonous and head office pulls some real bullsh!it every now and then where im stuck there till 3am doing some pointless task!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 11, 2012 8:34 am

It'll keep you fit too.

My first job was packing loaves for deliveries. Doesn't sound like much, but 100s of loaves weigh a vast amount when you try and lift them. Moving thousands of those around for a 12 hour shift fairly keeps you in good shape.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 11, 2012 10:21 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:It'll keep you fit too.

My first job was packing loaves for deliveries. Doesn't sound like much, but 100s of loaves weigh a vast amount when you try and lift them. Moving thousands of those around for a 12 hour shift fairly keeps you in good shape.
This is true. I've lost weight and kept it off thanks to being on my feet all day and constantly lifting crates of beer, pop, all sorts of boxes as well as beer kegs.

Agree about loaves of bread too. They weigh nothing on their own but when we get the bread deliveries in the morning and have to move the countless trays about, rotate the dates and put customer orders aside they're heavier than you expect.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 pm

This is true. Im in charge of booze at my place so i have to run back and forth with heavy boxes of wine. Im so lazy the rest of the time so it must help.
Strangely enough the heaviest thing by far is weetabix! They come in boxes of 30 and they kill my back :(

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri May 11, 2012 4:35 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:This is true. Im in charge of booze at my place so i have to run back and forth with heavy boxes of wine. Im so lazy the rest of the time so it must help.
Strangely enough the heaviest thing by far is weetabix! They come in boxes of 30 and they kill my back :(
Andrex toilet roll.... deceptively heavy by the case bro. oh and spagetti too. How can a small box full of light pasta be so heavy!

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri May 11, 2012 5:59 pm

Whats heavier, a tonne of bricks or a tonne of feathers? :D

Eat your nans pants

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sat May 12, 2012 3:47 pm

only just noticed this thread...so here we go...

For a living? - Official title Refuse Re-location Technician, or as it's was before and shall be again, Bin Man.

Do you enjoy it? - Yes, and of course No, the people are great, a very wide mix of personality's from the "man and boy" workers to the new up and coming lazy 18 year old's who are just there to keep the job center off their backs. They usual last a month then never seen of again but anyway....I personally enjoy it, plenty of exercise (shifting upwards of 140kg x 800 a day, we do between 1400 - 1600 bins a day each coming in at 70kg+ (soil and garden waste)) I get to meet some very strange members of the public, have the odd confrontation, help the elderly and get some nice perks from the job, pop, crisps and biscuits, god bless OAPS lol.

Is the money any good? - Nope, its poo, but then again I don't live outside of my means. No loans, credit cards, HP etc etc. If I don't have the money I don't buy it. Strictly cash transactions with me. Well I should say my basic is poor, with overtime (claimed after 1.30pm at time and half), bank holidays and weekends it mounts up, but its rare at the moment to get overtime.

Are you glad you chose it as a career? - Fell into it. My last employment I was in a relationship with a girl I worked with, it went bad, had to get out, saw this job and got it!

What would you do instead? - professional strong man competitions. I could have been a contender...... :lol:
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat May 12, 2012 9:50 pm

Might as well shove my halfpence's worth in here, given I'm p!ssed and have a busted desktop and am relying on a pappy laptop right now(!)

What do you do for a living?

Hospital porter for the NHS.

Do you enjoy it?

Massively, despite terrible, terrible management, and terrible, terrible managers. I love my job. Even the bad stuff like blood n' guts n' dead bodies n' getting attacked by drunk people.

Is the money any good?

Not great - NHS Band 1 (about £7.40-£7.80ph) but extras for working lates, nights and weekends. I primarily work late shifts, and do at least two weekends per month, so my post-tax whack is more than liveable on, given that I'm not in debt, nor addicted to drugs or gambling, at present, plus I really care about what I'm doing and do it well.

Are you glad you chose it as a career?

It's not really a 'career', it's more just a great thing for a well-skewiff disorganised loser like me to be doing. In the end, it's a really disposable job, I could be replaced in the click of a finger, probably by a much-lesser worker than I but that's just the way it goes with NHS Band 1, they're just not in it for the long term, it's a very curious way to handle one's biz. I am glad I'm doing it, if I can get back into skilful eBay peddling then I will have it made(!) Plus, it's the only 'proper job' that actually feels 'proper'. It's proper.

What would you do instead?

Probably take loads of drugs and wangle the mental health benefits system, and do eBay to pay for extra hashish. Then get bored and do something REALLY industrial and heavy and painful for a year or so, get bored of it, *then* end up in an office/callcentre environment, go on mental benefits again and repeat the cycle.

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sun May 13, 2012 9:47 am

JazzFunk wrote:Hospital porter for the NHS.
In Leeds? You may have run into my mother at some point ;-)

Anyway here goes with mine.

What do you do for a living?

I work for one of those utility companies that is always getting slated in the news. More specifically I do stuff with data. Reports, Databases, that sort of thing.

Do you enjoy it?

Yes, IT (more development side, less support) was always where I wanted to be. In 2001 I was in such a job (support software for testing in electro-communications industry (lasers and things) but the market turned and I was made redundant. After a while I took a temp job at the company I am at now. Got persuaded to go full time and have gradually steared my job in the direction of things that interest me!

Is the money any good?

It's ok, would be lots better if I was not so poor with money when I was younger! However a few more years and that should all be delt with.

Never really chose it. Well except that I like to do more (computer) technical stuff. Certainly never chose the industry! Still it's interesting getting insight into areas thats a lot of people misunderstand.

Be a millionaire and make a decent reto-computing museum! (not just gaming) It would give the nice b&w 386 laptop I have in the loft a good home!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Mon May 14, 2012 5:08 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:It'll keep you fit too.

Definitely yes - the meat-heads from the gym opposite my shop keep asking me to join them, but why should I pay to use their weights when I can get paid to lug stuff around all day? Also means I can spend most of my free time eating crap and sitting on my arse!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon May 14, 2012 6:24 pm

my newest game went live last week. (Flash slots link on will hill). just the nine bonus rounds that very few people will actually see.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 am

Hmm, haxxored? ^^^^
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue May 15, 2012 1:46 am

thingonaspring wrote:my newest game went live last week. (Flash slots link on will hill). just the nine bonus rounds that very few people will actually see.
I didn't see your bonus rounds, but tell the bloke who did the blur on the spinning reels I really like the effect, its very convincing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue May 15, 2012 4:46 am

For a living?
Multimedia Producer for the rozzers.
Mainly I'm a content writer for the website, intranet, and extranet, plus I help manage the Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, and G+ accounts.
I also do a bit of photography, filming, editing with Final Cut Pro etc.
Basically all sorts of stuff - main project I'm working on at the mo is a knowledge base and FAQs for a new online product we've got going live soon.

Do you enjoy it?
Love it. It's what I trained for at Uni - graduated in 1998 and then didn't touch media again until I started this post a year ago.

Is the money any good?
Well, it would be if I did this job in the private sector.....

Oh yes.

Nothing!
I've tried out a lot of other stuff before this, everything from working in HMV to managing restaurants to driver training to office admin to delivering pizzas to barman - and this is the first job I can honestly say I enjoy.
I could have DJed as a career, but after doing it around the clubs for a bit I found I wasn't enjoying it as much any more, so I decided to scale that back to my hobby with the occasional gig.

This is a great thread BTW - there are jobs on here I didn't even know existed!