RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

revgiblet

RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:47 am

OK. There are so many threads complaining about the coverage of certain machines in RetroGamer, so I thought it would make sense to pull them all into one thread. So this is it. Please go ahead. Complain about RG not covering whichever machine you want right here, so that Darran and others only have to read this one thread to see how they need to change the magazine. Who's going to start?

chinnyhill10

Re: RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:59 am

revgiblet wrote:OK. There are so many threads complaining about the coverage of certain machines in RetroGamer, so I thought it would make sense to pull them all into one thread. So this is it. Please go ahead. Complain about RG not covering whichever machine you want right here, so that Darran and others only have to read this one thread to see how they need to change the magazine. Who's going to start?
I AM DISGUSTED AT THE LACK OF COVERAGE OF THE JUPITER ACE! I THINK IT SHOULD BE ON THE COVER. I ONCE PLUGGED MY JUPITER ACE INTO MY LAWNMOWER AND IT CHASED THE CAT! THERE ARE AS MANY AS THREE GAMES FOR THE JUPITER ACE WHICH IS MANY MANY MORE GAMES THAN THERE ARE FOR THE SPECTRUM. A JUPITER ACE WAS ALSO MENTIONED ONCE ON CEEFAX AND SOMEONE WHO WORKED FOR NASA ALSO USED ONE ONCE. IT IS DISGUSTING THAT THIS POPULAR MACHINE THAT SOLD OVER A HUNDRED MILLION MILLION MORE UNITS THAN THE AMSTRAD IS NEGLECTED.

Mr IloveForth

Crunchy

Re: RG is biased against [fill in blank]!!!

Post by Crunchy » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:07 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
revgiblet wrote:OK. There are so many threads complaining about the coverage of certain machines in RetroGamer, so I thought it would make sense to pull them all into one thread. So this is it. Please go ahead. Complain about RG not covering whichever machine you want right here, so that Darran and others only have to read this one thread to see how they need to change the magazine. Who's going to start?
I AM DISGUSTED AT THE LACK OF COVERAGE OF THE JUPITER ACE! I THINK IT SHOULD BE ON THE COVER. I ONCE PLUGGED MY JUPITER ACE INTO MY LAWNMOWER AND IT CHASED THE CAT! THERE ARE AS MANY AS THREE GAMES FOR THE JUPITER ACE WHICH IS MANY MANY MORE GAMES THAN THERE ARE FOR THE SPECTRUM. A JUPITER ACE WAS ALSO MENTIONED ONCE ON CEEFAX AND SOMEONE WHO WORKED FOR NASA ALSO USED ONE ONCE. IT IS DISGUSTING THAT THIS POPULAR MACHINE THAT SOLD OVER A HUNDRED MILLION MILLION MORE UNITS THAN THE AMSTRAD IS NEGLECTED.

Mr IloveForth
WHAT HE SAID!

And the Jupiter Ace's killer app should be covered in-depth immediately!

http://www.jupiter-ace.co.uk/sw_fish_flutter.html

There's at least two paragraph's of material there!
Also, although Chinny is a top bloke for mentioning the ACE he is not teh uber lee7 hardcore fan because the ACE has, like, over twenty games.
That's twenty one games! Which is probably a full page article. Probably.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:21 am

We need more coverage of the OmniBlapp
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

revgiblet

Post by revgiblet » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 am

OK, so we've got an in-depth one page article needed on the Jupiter Ace for issue 22. If we re-print it ninety times that should leave us with a complete issue. It would be great to have a massive photo of the Ace on the front cover too - perhaps with Fish or Flutterer running on the screen. I'll estimate that that will boost circulation by somewhere between 1 and 2 people. Perhaps the name of the mag should be changed to 'RetroGamer NOW WITH MORE JUPITER ACE (tm)'

What's next?

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:27 am

revgiblet wrote:OK, so we've got an in-depth one page article needed on the Jupiter Ace for issue 22. If we re-print it ninety times that should leave us with a complete issue. It would be great to have a massive photo of the Ace on the front cover too - perhaps with Fish or Flutterer running on the screen. I'll estimate that that will boost circulation by somewhere between 1 and 2 people. Perhaps the name of the mag should be changed to 'RetroGamer NOW WITH MORE JUPITER ACE (tm)'

What's next?
Sinclair QL of course.

Headlines could include "No Queues for QL's" and there could be a free microdrive on the cover (which may wipe itself at random).*

All the Linux fanboys would buy a copy as well as it would have an interview with that Linus bloke who invented it as his first computer was a QL.

* With apologies to Your Sinclair from which I stole the gag.

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Microvision handheld from 1979.

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:25 pm

I've always felt RG was a little lacking in coverage on the Apple II series. Yeah, there was a nice article on the IIGS a few issues back but there has been a general lack of coverage overall. The biggest sin? Remember the cover disc with over 100 emulators on it, emulating "every system"? Not a single Apple II emulator to be found anywhere.

Tabe

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:50 pm

i want more coverage of the Cray X-MP. Okay, so i haven't actually got one myself because it'd be marginally bigger than our house but i'm disgusted that it still doesn't get any coverage. There's a game somewhere for it, i think?

demon cleaner

Post by demon cleaner » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:45 pm

andy vaisey

Post by andy vaisey » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:25 pm

OK then. I want more coverage of the Honeywell DDP-516 (aka IMP).

:wink:

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:01 pm

TMR wrote:i want more coverage of the Cray X-MP. Okay, so i haven't actually got one myself because it'd be marginally bigger than our house but i'm disgusted that it still doesn't get any coverage. There's a game somewhere for it, i think?
*laughs* Beat me to it.

I was going to start moaning that there's been no coverage of the liquid cooled Cray 2 Supercomputer.

I'm sure it sold much better than the BBC ;)

JOKE!!!

Sparrowhawk

Re:

Post by Sparrowhawk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:37 am

chinnyhill10 wrote:
Sinclair QL of course.

Headlines could include "No Queues for QL's" and there could be a free microdrive on the cover (which may wipe itself at random).*

All the Linux fanboys would buy a copy as well as it would have an interview with that Linus bloke who invented it as his first computer was a QL.

* With apologies to Your Sinclair from which I stole the gag.
Hey you cheeky toe-rag! I love the QL. Right, then: You. Me. Outside the school gates. Bring your best conker and we'll have it out.
:D

PS. I really *do* love the QL!

chinnyhill10

Re:

Post by chinnyhill10 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:59 am

PS. I really *do* love the QL!
[/quote]

The QL is a really good machine. It was very technically advanced but was hampered by some of Sir Clives stranger ideas. His problem was always that he did what he wanted to do and not what the market wanted.

What he should have done is given the market what it wanted, ie project Pandora. Imagine what would have happened if Pandora had ever become reality!

But Sir Clive wanted the business market. And the problem was that microdrives had long been a laughing stock. And the PCW was out and big business was looking at MS-DOS based systems. The QL was doomed and so was Sinclair :cry:

Sparrowhawk

Post by Sparrowhawk » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:25 am

I agree. The microdrives were the big killer, the keyboard was not resilient enough for touch typists, the RAM was too restricted, and he cut extra corners by sticking a 68008 in there rather than a full blown 16-bit 68000.

Still, the OS was (still is) a joy, the SuperBASIC language was wonderful to use (despite the bugs), and there was a surpsrising amount of software for it.

Games-wise, I should think that there was over 150, absolutely minute compared to the likes of the Speccy, C64, CPC, BBC, et al, but more than enough for a business machine.

Magnetic Scrolls cut their teeth on it when the Pawn was released on the QL before any other platform.

Some of the best games that I can think of are:
The Pawn - Magnetic Scrolls (their first ever release)
QL Chess - Psion
Matchday - Psion
QL Scrabble - Leisure Genius
Assault and Battery - I forget the author
Most of the adventures from CGH Services (including my own!!! ;) )
3D Slime (sort of an isometric pac-man thing)
Fleet Tactical Command
etc

OK, I'll put the conker away for now.

In the meantime, could we please have a little bias towards the Z88 that I have sitting in the corner here?