Did you get a wallop?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

Did you get a wallop?

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:30 pm

Corporal punishment hey, them were the days! I was born in the late 70's and grew up in the 80's and early 90's. Back then, getting a 'smack' around the legs, on the backside or the old 'clip around the ear', was a common occurrence for most naughty British kids. I remember having a few. Of course times have changed, and although I have no children of my own yet, I wouldn't dream of touching them. What were your experiences?

Antiriad2097

Re: Did you get a wallop?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 am

I'd often get a skelp from my folks and used to get the scud weekly in Music class.

I have on occasion doled out a skelp myself, I think its perfectly acceptable within limits.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:36 am

I remember one of my teachers throwing a board rubber at my mate's head cos he wouldn't shut up.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:32 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I'd often get a skelp from my folks and used to get the scud weekly in Music class.

I have on occasion doled out a skelp myself, I think its perfectly acceptable within limits.
Eh ? A skelp ? You scottish love creating your own words dont ya !

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Never! I was a good boy, honest :wink:

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

I remember getting threatened with a beating by the primary school headmaster unless I admitted to starting a fight (which I hadn't, incidentally). Come to think of it, the threat of violence to coerce admission to initiating an act of violence so that someone can be appropriately punished seems a deeply unhinged way of schooling anyone.

My parents, both teachers themselves, still completely fail to grasp the deep-seated resentment we hold towards two of these teachers' ways of controlling pupils, despite putting four of their own kids through the same school and being told by all of them what scarringly vindictive psycopaths they were. I actually got a phone call from my Mum asking if I wanted to go along to the school for an evening when one of them was retiring...

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:27 pm

my mum wacked me with an umbrella once, i disappeared for an entire day with some mates down the river, and when we returned, there were search parties out for us , (we were only 10 years old i think) she was out of her mind with worry, and to be honest i totally deserved it.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:42 pm

I got the green flash once when I was at school, my old man took his belt off to me a few times but never actaully got round to slapping me with it.
Splink!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm

djcarlos wrote:I remember one of my teachers throwing a board rubber at my mate's head cos he wouldn't shut up.

Im sure it must be a skill teachers used to learn; throwing the duster at you without it actually hitting anyone. Goodness knows what would have happened if it had ever bounced into anyone's face.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:18 pm

You must have gone to a soft school. Our teachers didn't miss. Those things hurt btw.

Someone mentioned being threatened with a belt, I only ever had the slipper. More than once I pushed it past the threat stage. Kids push boundaries sometimes, I soon found how far I could go.

We had a teacher who'd give you the OXO.

He'd use his blackboard ruler (roughly 3 feet long, 3 inches wide). Chalk 'OXO' on it, have you bend over at the front of the class, then smack your backside with it. For the rest of the day you'd be left with OXO across your butt so the whole school knew about it.

The woodwork teacher had fashioned himself a bat for similar purposes. This had been drilled allegedly for the aerodynamic benefits it offered.

Music teacher had a choice of belts for you to pick from, though he'd use his little pocket one for the daily minor infractions. The art teacher went the other way, he had a huge rigid leather thing that would stand upright from his desk. I had that one right up my forearms once.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 pm

I had a bread knife once!

Took two biscuits from the tin without asking (a friend came around) we had one each and I hadn't had one that day and I didn't think my parents would mind, as I wasn't being greedy or secretive as they weren't in the house. Mum flew right off the ruddy handle and swung a bread knife against my arm very close to it but intentionally stopping, then proceeded to slap me repeatedly on the leg 7 or 8 times.....man that hurt.

Hitting wasn't bad, it was the fact whenever I got hit, it was repeatedly, in the same spot...ouch!

I deserved it 90% of the time though so no dramas!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

tachi

Post by tachi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:38 pm

I was regularly beaten wih a wooden spoon and leather belt from about 4 til my early teens when I became too bug and surly to threaten.
Made me the man I am though! Never raised my hand to a woman, I have manners and am as honest as I can be and all thanks to a strict upbringing.
That said , the idea if raising a hand to my little girl scares and disgusts me so it will never happen.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:17 am

I started school in 1981 and I thought it was illegal to hit kids in state schools be then - but apparently not! From Wikipedia (obviously.....)
In state-run schools, and also in private schools where at least part of the funding came from government, corporal punishment was outlawed by Parliament with effect from 1987. In other private schools it was banned in 1999 (England and Wales), 2000 (Scotland) and 2003 (Northern Ireland).

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:33 pm

2003??? Blimey begorrah etc.

I can only remember two instances of pushing the parents too far, and getting physically punished for it - my dad dragged me across the carpet by the hair after I'd repeatedly kicked him in the balls during a spot of play-wrestling, and my mum punched me in the chest when I let go of my baby sister's pram on a hill.

The things you do when you're a youngster, eh?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:36 pm

I remember my dad pushing my little sister's face in her dinner cos she wouldn't eat it :lol: