Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

greenberet79

Re: Playstation Vita games discussion thread

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:33 am
Just hacked my Vita can still go online and buy from the store without updating so very happy. Nice being able to play Konami's Aliens and Gi Joe which run really nice via Final Burn as well most scrolling fighters. Final Burn is much more user friendly nice front end with screen shots and lots of filters whilst Retroarch is a pain..

I also set up Gameboy Advance, Retroarch and Megadrive. Lynx games look amazing running through Retroarch. Here's Lynx dirty Larry running on my Vita

Cool. Which method did you use? Was it much trouble?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:09 pm

I've been keeping my eye out for a Vita. I think gumtree looks my best bet.

What should I be looking out for? (apart from the obvious such as scratches etc). I borrowed my brother's a year or so back but just found the UI confusing.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:57 am

Well, got a Vita. Oled version. Almost perfect condition - not a scratch on it. £60 so pretty happy with that, comes with an original travel case and a small 4gb memory card.

Should I hack it? I've downgraded the firmware to 3.60 but not sure if I can be bothered actually doing the modding.

Anyone else done it? Is it worth it?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:56 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:07 pm
Shinobi wrote:
Just hacked my Vita can still go online and buy from the store without updating so very happy. Nice being able to play Konami's Aliens and Gi Joe which run really nice via Final Burn as well most scrolling fighters. Final Burn is much more user friendly nice front end with screen shots and lots of filters whilst Retroarch is a pain..

I also set up Gameboy Advance, Retroarch and Megadrive. Lynx games look amazing running through Retroarch. Here's Lynx dirty Larry running on my Vita

Apart from getting the FTP to recognise the Vita it was incredibly easy

FTP h-encore, Enso and Vita Homebrew across. Clicked them and they installed, one hacks the Vita the other was to stop it updating the firmware so you could still use the shop.

Vita Homebrew allows you to download every game, emulator and app with a click of a button, from Doom to Jazz Jack Rabbit

I installed Vita Shell which allows you to connect and view all folders on the Vita to install games

Also installed Retro Arch which plays every emulator. In theory it was supposed to be as easy as selecting ‘scan’ and Retroarch sorts everything into seperate game folders and selects the right cores automatically.

In reality you need specific Rom sets or it won’t recognise them, you could also download covers and screenshots which was very hit and miss so I had to do all the screenshots manually. When it works it’s brilliant does not play gameboy games mind.

The only other Vita emulators are

FBA which only plays CPS1 and 2 very well, other arcade games are almost unplayable. Much more user friendly then Retroarch

Megadrive emulator which has no sound and only recognises Rom files, no save states either

Amiga emulator never used

Atari Lynx well Retroarch does it perfectly minus the save states. I’m not sure if the stand alone Lynx emulator has save states

Gameboy Advance brilliant but basic front end

Scumm which is perfect been playing Monkey Island 3 on it.

I followed a guy called Skeletors YouTube as he also included working links to all the downloads as well as emulators, roms and snapshots. He explained everything brilliantly and was very easy to follow unlike most hacking videos on YouTube.

Apologies about the bad spelling writing this on my phone when so get on my PC later I will send you a link to Skeletors YouTube guide.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:19 pm

The audio is totally off on the Lynx emulation though sadly.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:45 am

Shinobi wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:56 am
greenberet79 wrote:
Shinobi wrote:

Apart from getting the FTP to recognise the Vita it was incredibly easy

FTP h-encore, Enso and Vita Homebrew across. Clicked them and they installed, one hacks the Vita the other was to stop it updating the firmware so you could still use the shop.

Vita Homebrew allows you to download every game, emulator and app with a click of a button, from Doom to Jazz Jack Rabbit

I installed Vita Shell which allows you to connect and view all folders on the Vita to install games

Also installed Retro Arch which plays every emulator. In theory it was supposed to be as easy as selecting ‘scan’ and Retroarch sorts everything into seperate game folders and selects the right cores automatically.

In reality you need specific Rom sets or it won’t recognise them, you could also download covers and screenshots which was very hit and miss so I had to do all the screenshots manually. When it works it’s brilliant does not play gameboy games mind.

The only other Vita emulators are

FBA which only plays CPS1 and 2 very well, other arcade games are almost unplayable. Much more user friendly then Retroarch

Megadrive emulator which has no sound and only recognises Rom files, no save states either

Amiga emulator never used

Atari Lynx well Retroarch does it perfectly minus the save states. I’m not sure if the stand alone Lynx emulator has save states

Gameboy Advance brilliant but basic front end

Scumm which is perfect been playing Monkey Island 3 on it.

I followed a guy called Skeletors YouTube as he also included working links to all the downloads as well as emulators, roms and snapshots. He explained everything brilliantly and was very easy to follow unlike most hacking videos on YouTube.

Apologies about the bad spelling writing this on my phone when so get on my PC later I will send you a link to Skeletors YouTube guide.
Brilliant, thanks. Yes a lot of hacking videos and instructions are a bit confusing. I'll give this dude a look.

I've installed Henkaku but unfortunately my laptop I've always used for this type of stuff was swiped by my father in law, so I'm gonna have to use my good laptop. The FTP stuff looks pretty harmless though?

Are you running games off a memory card?

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 am

greenberet79 wrote:

Brilliant, thanks. Yes a lot of hacking videos and instructions are a bit confusing. I'll give this dude a look.

I've installed Henkaku but unfortunately my laptop I've always used for this type of stuff was swiped by my father in law, so I'm gonna have to use my good laptop. The FTP stuff looks pretty harmless though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3ydsKTGgY Here's Skelator's tutorial he explains it brilliantly, and very easy takes about 5 minutes for a Ninja hacked Vita. Just wanted to add this Skelator isn't full of Beans :D

Only thing he doesn't mention is you "MUST GET FILEZILLA CLIENT" not Filezilla otherwise it won't recognise the Vita and you can't connect to the ftp

Here's Retro arch with thumbnails.. Select scan and Retroarch does the rest, it even downloads the correct cores and configures the emulators..

I'm using an 8 gig card with space to store

Be warned Retroarch is quite fussy with recognising roms.. It doesn't like no intro or unzipped roms and crashes when you try to start them. It also refuses recognise thumbnails that aren't named exactly, other than that its a damn good emulator and you can download a lot of games such as Doom and Tomb Raider using its online game downloader
Last edited by Shinobi on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Tempted to pick one up now they are "retro". Not sure I'd bother hacking it unless there's anything emulator-wise it can do that the psp can't.

I'd probably just play Football Manager & Everybody's Golf on it & I've already got a psp for that, unless either game's vastly better on the Vita.

Will have a scroll back through this thread & have a look at game recommendations to see if there's anything worth upgrading for.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:15 pm

the_hawk wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:48 pm
Tempted to pick one up now they are "retro". Not sure I'd bother hacking it unless there's anything emulator-wise it can do that the psp can't.

I'd probably just play Football Manager & Everybody's Golf on it & I've already got a psp for that, unless either game's vastly better on the Vita.

Will have a scroll back through this thread & have a look at game recommendations to see if there's anything worth upgrading for.
Well I've bought one, mainly cos I love handhelds. I've got two PSPs, two GB micros, a GB, a Switch and have retro games on my phone with a couple of Bluetooth controllers. So I figured what the hell haha

But yes - looking through the Vita catalogue I'm not actually sure there are that many games there I like, and are they THAT much better than the PSP? I'm not into RPGs which seems to be the Vita's strength. I've been going through eBay and have eyed a couple of games though don't want to pay more than a fiver.

Still it was an itch I always wanted to scratch so here we are. And I guess a hacked Vita is a better machine than one that isn't hacked.

And it's a beautiful machine, too, real quality.

The operating system is terrible though. TERRIBLE!

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Yeah...I've got a similar itch! :lol:
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:55 am
greenberet79 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3ydsKTGgY Here's Skelator's tutorial he explains it brilliantly, and very easy takes about 5 minutes for a Ninja hacked Vita. Just wanted to add this Skelator isn't full of Beans :D

Only thing he doesn't mention is you "MUST GET FILEZILLA CLIENT" not Filezilla otherwise it won't recognise the Vita and you can't connect to the ftp

Here's Retro arch with thumbnails.. Select scan and Retroarch does the rest, it even downloads the correct cores and configures the emulators..

I'm using an 8 gig card with space to store

Be warned Retroarch is quite fussy with recognising roms.. It doesn't like no intro or unzipped roms and crashes when you try to start them. It also refuses recognise thumbnails that aren't named exactly, other than that its a damn good emulator and you can download a lot of games such as Doom and Tomb Raider using its online game downloader
Cheers dude. I think I'll get the SD card adapter and install whatever is needed to run that too.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

I've done it - hurrah. Bit of a pain in the arse since I'd half hacked it to 3.60 but needed it on 3.65. The problem is so many online guides say different things. In the end I used a YouTube guide for Mac users. The video was about 20 minutes but with all the downloading and stuff it took me about two hours. And then the next night I did the hack to use an SD card instead of a Sony card, so now I've got 64gb and it cost £20. Again that took about two hours.

I've installed Retro Arch, a SNES and a Mega drive emulators. Got the Homebrew Channel (which crashes occasionally) and Adrenaline the Psp emulator. I've got a tonne of Psp isos so they can all go on.

Now I need to learn how to get Vita isos because honestly I'm going to pirate the censored out of them.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 am

Got another Vita - this time the slim. Can't believe how light it is compared to the original.

And I got it free from a friend who hasn't used it in years. Looking forward to modding it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:50 am

greenberet79 wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:42 am
Got another Vita - this time the slim. Can't believe how light it is compared to the original.

And I got it free from a friend who hasn't used it in years. Looking forward to modding it.
B-but the Vita is already light

Feels like im holding nothing at all
nothing at all
nothing at all

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:06 am

I feel like I should buy a 4th Vita since they are stopping production in Japan. I have been getting back into Vita playing lately, I started my copy of Salt and Sanctuary this week, already glued to it, its a really good action RPG (2D Souls basically). I can see me playing this one for a long time! I think I'm almost done with Vita collecting now, I'm around 500 physical games now and I don't see me getting too many more.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*