Official feedback for Issue 32

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:55 pm

There was a review of Andrew Rollings book -was it totally complete?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Darth Nuno

Post by Darth Nuno » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:07 pm

I got the issue 32 this morning by mail (I'm in Belgium) 8)

YYYYEeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssss :P :P :P Galaxian on cover :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Thanks my lord :P

I would die to have one of my cab' in picture inside the best retro mag ever :roll: :wink:

Ok, this month the theme is ... Galaxian :) So I show you my Galaxian cab' :roll: :wink:

Image Image

The Universal

Re:

Post by The Universal » Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:40 pm

DRS wrote:Well thanks Mr Universal - though i only half get what you mean... i have interviewed Scott Adams way back (first Desert Island Disks) and know he began programming on a TRS-80... and i also know Molimerx were the premier publishers (or distributors?) of Tandy software... so erm, are you saying they published some very early games of his?? I'm intrigued - if you know more, please tell mate!

...and no worries John - just pleased there are plans for more BTWF (hey, we've even given it an acronym, so it HAS to reappear ;])
Not sure about tandy, but some of his adventure games appeared on bbc micro, and possibly the electron, published by molinerx, quite an interesting company (couldnt see any standout games in their back catalogue), from what i have read they were almost forced to publish on bbc due to the TRS lack of success.

I wasnt really implying anything btw, just he may be able to put you onto them as i think they Everquest together
Just where is Mickey T?

psj3809

Re:

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:13 am

paranoid marvin wrote:There was a review of Andrew Rollings book -was it totally complete?
Over at WOS he says its complete, he gets them all on the 15th Dec i think to send out to everyone. Its looking very good, cant wait to get my copy

Great Giana

Post by Great Giana » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:53 am

this cover makes me all warm inside.

Heavy Stylus

Post by Heavy Stylus » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:35 am

My letter didn't get printed. :(
http://www.rgcd.co.uk
8-128 Bit & beyond: Indie game development news for vintage & modern computer hardware.

The Penultimate Ninja

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:59 am

I think I got it a day or two early from WHSmith's, I've been enjoying it a lot, especially the Footy Management and Price of Persia articles.

I'm looking forward to reading the Phantasy Star article on the train journey home tonight.
I've always liked the Phantasy Star artwork, and it's used really nicely in the article - the layout looks gorgeous.

DRS

Re:

Post by DRS » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:27 pm

The Universal wrote:
DRS wrote:Well thanks Mr Universal - though i only half get what you mean... i have interviewed Scott Adams way back (first Desert Island Disks) and know he began programming on a TRS-80... and i also know Molimerx were the premier publishers (or distributors?) of Tandy software... so erm, are you saying they published some very early games of his?? I'm intrigued - if you know more, please tell mate!

...and no worries John - just pleased there are plans for more BTWF (hey, we've even given it an acronym, so it HAS to reappear ;])
Not sure about tandy, but some of his adventure games appeared on bbc micro, and possibly the electron, published by molinerx, quite an interesting company (couldnt see any standout games in their back catalogue), from what i have read they were almost forced to publish on bbc due to the TRS lack of success.

I wasnt really implying anything btw, just he may be able to put you onto them as i think they Everquest together

Got yer... ta for that. I imagine they handled conversions for the beeb and what not... maybe done by Brian Howarth? I'll have a look in to it to see if owts worth investigating more - cheers for the pointer.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:05 pm

Best issue for a long while. I thought last months issue was disappointing so I have had my faith restored. Love any features on the classics like Galaxian. Nice to see features on footy games, Super Mario Land, the book reviews, the Game On exhibition, before they were famous etc. This is what I want to see, not some obscure Japanese stuff!

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:01 pm

Definitely a great issue!

Pretty much every article is superb, especially the Exploding Fist one (Way Of The Exploding Fist is my fave C64 fighter!). I also give high praise to the Game On feature, especially as I have been there!

I think that reviewing books in the reviews section gave it a fresh approach, and RG has saved me from parting my cash for Sonic Rivals (after the 70% score and OPS2's 5/10 rating for the game has forced me not to buy it!).

However, it didn't save me from buying the whole season of Sam and Max as a download. After playing the demo and reading this month's review, I decided to consider purchasing the entire series as it was just soooo hilarious! And I thought the original game was funny!

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:07 pm

Another quality issue, thanks guys. Just finished reading the Football Management article, which is a genre of game that never held any interest for me, one question though, did Image Software really spend 4 years working on Snooker Manager?
Splink!

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Re:

Post by Rev. Stuart Campbell » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:46 pm

Darth Nuno wrote: Ok, this month the theme is ... Galaxian :) So I show you my Galaxian cab' :roll: :wink:
That's beautiful, man. For me the Galaxian cab is still the definitive coin-op design. It was a sad day when they stopped having the screen in those big, dark caverns that blocked out the surrounding world and drew you right into the game's universe. Who wants to see some other geek out of the corner of their eye while they're battling to save a galaxy? Bah.

romanista

Post by romanista » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:44 am

Starting to read it now, arrived thursday in the united provinces..

1. Galaxian, great as always, missed my official plug and play namco galaxian i got with my first RG subscription 3 years ago. Strange question, but how many words are those articles, because the way the layout is created it looks like it is less words than a standard article, but if you read it, it seems more..

2. Wot exploding fist.. Craig, the boxout out IK, wouldn't it be better if Archer McC got a right to reply, as he is kinda accused of plagiarism?

3. CDi, great insight in the history of the console, and good use of sources already accessed for earlier articles.. my little brother was a CDi fan in the days, so I'll let him read it..

i'll add more when i've read more
Macretro, for all your retrogames on the mac

Madge

Post by Madge » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:55 pm

Bought it. Read it in one sitting. Subscribed. 'Nuff said.

CraigGrannell

Re:

Post by CraigGrannell » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:15 pm

romanista wrote:Wot exploding fist.. Craig, the boxout out IK, wouldn't it be better if Archer McC got a right to reply, as he is kinda accused of plagiarism?
He wasn't per se, but System 3 kind of was. The thing is, if you read Archer's interview in an earlier Retro Gamer, he admits that the original work on IK was scrapped when he came on board, due to Fist. It's also worth noting that Gregg was positive about IK, too, rather than bitter.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com