Remember Pogs?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

geeksleek

Remember Pogs?

Post by geeksleek » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:54 am

I did a little write up on pogs on my site (http://geeksleek.com/remember-pogs/) and ordered some online to reminisce on the good ol days with Pogs. I know I can't be the only one that played with pogs.

Post your pogs if you gottem!
Retro Game Lover!

geeksleek

Re: Remember Pogs?

Post by geeksleek » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:25 am

some more pics for you guys:

Retro Game Lover!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:47 pm

Had a 2/3 complete set at one point, then I lost interest and they just sort of disappeared into nowhere like just about every cool thing I owned when I was 13.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:13 pm

I never understood the appeal of them but when I was working at Argos during Xmas '95, they were the most popular thing ever, they literally flew out of the warehouse!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:35 pm

That's the thing with being a youngster, the most ridiculous of things can mean the whole world to you. In 1994-1995, my entire life revolved around the acquisition of pogs. Nowadays with the kids buying Moshi Monsters and Match Attax and Gormiti, I can't see the appeal at all - a generational thing, obviously!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:19 pm

I was too old for Pogs by the time they came around, but that's the beauty of working with children - you get to indulge in all the latest crazes anyway. Pogs, Pokemon, Scoobies, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugan - I've had a crack at them all. :lol:

I really enjoyed Pogs - very collectable, but the game was a lot of fun too - quick and visceral, not unlike conkers or marbles (my favourites when I was a kid) Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh card games are very slow and boring, considering that they are for kiddies.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:00 pm

StickHead wrote:Pogs, Pokemon, Scoobies, Yu-Gi-Oh, Bakugan - I've had a crack at them all. :lol:
I'm familiar with all of those but Scoobies - they're not those rubber squares that the kids are throwing around these days, are they?
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Scoobies were a bit more of a girly thing. Thin strings of plastic that you could plait and weave to make stuff with. The full name is the copyright swerving 'Scoubidou'. Wikipedia.
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

geeksleek

Post by geeksleek » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:48 am

JazzFunk wrote:I never understood the appeal of them but when I was working at Argos during Xmas '95, they were the most popular thing ever, they literally flew out of the warehouse!
Looking back I have no idea why they were so popular either, but I sure did love them lol
Retro Game Lover!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:37 pm

StickHead wrote:Scoobies were a bit more of a girly thing. Thin strings of plastic that you could plait and weave to make stuff with. The full name is the copyright swerving 'Scoubidou'. Wikipedia.
Ah, now I remember. They were all over for a while, but considering I wouldn't even wear a watch, there's no way I'd've been "into" these things. Remember those arm strap things which were stiff until you slapped them over your wrist, then they'd wrap around the arm?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:37 pm

I loved Pogs, especially the fact that there were loads with holographic skull designs and some of the most random and bizarre imagery possible. I kept hold of a select few favourites and gave the rest away to TwoHeadedBoy ages ago I think.

Will try and post a piccy tomorrow perhaps.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Heh, I think I've inherited the Pog collections of nearly everyone I know over the years :D

geeksleek

Post by geeksleek » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:11 am

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
StickHead wrote:Scoobies were a bit more of a girly thing. Thin strings of plastic that you could plait and weave to make stuff with. The full name is the copyright swerving 'Scoubidou'. Wikipedia.
Ah, now I remember. They were all over for a while, but considering I wouldn't even wear a watch, there's no way I'd've been "into" these things. Remember those arm strap things which were stiff until you slapped them over your wrist, then they'd wrap around the arm?
There was actually a story in the news a while ago about those slap band things because a company sold some that had "adult" images on them. Apparently they were made from "adult" themed tape measures but the manufacturers were unaware of it. I don't remember the full story though.
Retro Game Lover!

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Ah, similar to the whole Rescuers/Recycled dirty films VHS stories?
Interesting, I'll have to look into that one. Adult tape measures make ideal Xmas presents these days.

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:02 pm

I used to love these when i was younger, but i remember everyone having them knocked out of their hands and spreading all over the ground, thats when there would be a free for all and everone would rob them and run off with them. It was a dangerous thing holding out a hand full of pogs on the playground in those good old days, might have ended up with none left by end of the day.