3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Matt_B

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by Matt_B » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 pm
A question for multiple 3DS owners - can you use a second 3DS and still have a proper experience, with online etc , without doing a system transfer? Can you switch from system to system with ease or do you have to use a dedicated 'master' device, while the others go unused?
Yes, you can. You just can't swap games between units without doing a system transfer, at which point it becomes an all or nothing affair.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm
pratty wrote:
A question for multiple 3DS owners - can you use a second 3DS and still have a proper experience, with online etc , without doing a system transfer? Can you switch from system to system with ease or do you have to use a dedicated 'master' device, while the others go unused?
Yes, you can. You just can't swap games between units without doing a system transfer, at which point it becomes an all or nothing affair.
Thanks. So how would it work, would you have to make a new profile/Mii/N.N.I.D. o nthe second system? The profile shouldn't be an issue, but trying to manage two seperate NNIDs could be tricky, and I'd assume you'd need to you'd need a NNID for online and to buy anything fro mthe e-shop.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:58 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:00 pm
Matt_B wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:51 pm
pratty wrote:
Thanks. So how would it work, would you have to make a new profile/Mii/N.N.I.D. o nthe second system? The profile shouldn't be an issue, but trying to manage two seperate NNIDs could be tricky, and I'd assume you'd need to you'd need a NNID for online and to buy anything fro mthe e-shop.
Ah, that's one thing you can't do. An NNID can only be linked to one 3DS at a time and you basically got to do a system transfer to move it.

Running two NNIDs has its benefits though, as you can have them tied to different eShop regions.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 am

So despite me looking to downsize my 3DS/DS game collection in my trade thread, I'm still considering picking up a second 2/3DS.

Anyone had any experience of the 2DS XL? Would you reccomend it?

I like the look of the black and blue model.

I've heard the speakers cause an annoying vibration in the system's casing, is it very off putting?

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:47 am

pratty wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:28 am
I have every iteration of 3DS/2DS and I would definitely recommend the *new* 2DS XL. It's so comfortable to hold and has all the power and features that the 3DS XL has (except the 3D of course!) If I had to pick a fault I'd say that the stylus is too small, but just buy a longer one! The regular 2DS is still great, but does lack power, the performance is a little sluggish during loading times and when online.

Personally though I think the *new* 3DS XL is the ultimate version (I have the SNES and Metroid editions) - you really can't beat playing 'OutRun' or 'Power Drift' in full 3D!

Don't forget you can also play your entire DS library in any 2DS/3DS... 1000s of games out there! :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:26 pm

batman877 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:47 am
pratty wrote:
I have every iteration of 3DS/2DS and I would definitely recommend the *new* 2DS XL. It's so comfortable to hold and has all the power and features that the 3DS XL has (except the 3D of course!) If I had to pick a fault I'd say that the stylus is too small, but just buy a longer one! The regular 2DS is still great, but does lack power, the performance is a little sluggish during loading times and when online.

Personally though I think the *new* 3DS XL is the ultimate version (I have the SNES and Metroid editions) - you really can't beat playing 'OutRun' or 'Power Drift' in full 3D!

Don't forget you can also play your entire DS library in any 2DS/3DS... 1000s of games out there! :D
Thanks. I've ordered the black and turquoise one.

Yeah I regret not buying a New 3DS XL earlier, especially the Metroid one. I've noticed the price of new units has shot up now Nintendo aren't making/selling them anymore. However I'm not bothered about 3D so it's not worth the extra cost at this point.

HdE

Post by HdE » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:13 pm

pratty wrote:
So despite me looking to downsize my 3DS/DS game collection in my trade thread, I'm still considering picking up a second 2/3DS.

I bought a white and orange 2DS XL last week. Been saving my small change for AGES and I finally had enough to treat myself to some new hardware.

I haven't really had a chance to use it for any substantial amount of time, but so far, I think it's really nice. In some areas, it feels like its been built down to a price. But it also has a nice, solid feel that I didn't get from the regular 2DS.

The lack of 3D is an obvious compromise, but seeing as that's not a feature I use very often (if at all) I'm not going to miss it. As someone else mentioned, the supplied stylus is too short. But everything else feels pretty nice. The featureless buttons and D pad make the 2DS XL look a bit cheap, but the construction is solid. You get a charger with this one as well, so that's a plus.

One aspect of the design I like is that the speakers have been relocated from the top screen to the bottom, on the front facing edge. This gets my seal of approval, because I had a 3DS XL that suffered damage to the screen after some bits of grot fell into the speakers and found their way between the screen and the screen cover. Ruined the top screen, and turned my handheld into a repair project. The 2DS XL seems better designed to make sure this doesn't happen - there's even a bit of spongy cover material over the speakers.

I think it's a really solid little console. Might even snag another one next year!

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm

HdE wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:13 pm
One aspect of the design I like is that the speakers have been relocated from the top screen to the bottom, on the front facing edge. This gets my seal of approval, because I had a 3DS XL that suffered damage to the screen after some bits of grot fell into the speakers and found their way between the screen and the screen cover. Ruined the top screen, and turned my handheld into a repair project. The 2DS XL seems better designed to make sure this doesn't happen - there's even a bit of spongy cover material over the speakers.
Funny you mention that. My 2DS XL came today. I like the system but I noticed there is a white spec under the top screen, it's not noticable most of the time but if you shine a light on it you can see it clearly. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement before I start using it.

HdE

Post by HdE » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

pratty wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm
Funny you mention that. My 2DS XL came today. I like the system but I noticed there is a white spec under the top screen, it's not noticable most of the time but if you shine a light on it you can see it clearly. I'm going to see if I can get a replacement before I start using it.
Agh! Bad luck!

I'd definitely pursue a replacement. That sounds like a factory / assembly error.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:29 pm

HdE wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm
pratty wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:48 pm
Agh! Bad luck!

I'd definitely pursue a replacement. That sounds like a factory / assembly error.
Yeah, just my luck. I ordered it from Nintendo's UK store so hopefully they'll do a swap without any hassle. It isn't a big particle but I know it's there and when you spend £100+ on a new item you want it to be perfect out the box.

Other than that I do the system. Even the short stylus isn't as bad as I thought it might be.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:31 pm

Has anybody played Luigi's Mansion remastered? The gamecube version was one of my favourite games and I wonder if the 3ds version has extra scenes
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

batman877

Post by batman877 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:43 am

Yep, got Luigi's Mansion yesterday. It's fantastic. The sprites have been recreated in full 3D and the sense of depth is incredible. I know 3D is just a gimmick, but here it works really well (think of how the 3D improved Kirby Planet Robobot).

Another nice touch by Nintendo is that this game is circle pad pro compatible... obviously not an issue for people with the new 3DS/2DS models with the C stick, but a nice addition anyway. There is also the choice to use motion controls or the set up from Luigi's Mansion 2.

Amiibo support does make the game easier, but you don't have to use them.

The main new feature though is co-op play. It seems you can play the entire game in 2-player (multi-carts needed) or a more limited mode (boss rush, challenges etc) via download play (single cart). I haven't tried either yet, but this sounds brilliant.

I'm only a couple of hours in so don't know if there are extra scenes yet.

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:56 pm

I heard the co-op is very laggy, at least on older 3DSs. Might be better on New models but not sure.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:32 pm

Argos is having a sale on 3DS games and there are some pretty good games to boot!

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/3ds/opt/sort:price/

The likes of Warioware Gold, Fire Emblem Warriors, Metroid Prime Federation Forces and more for just £5.99, even the Yo-kai Watch games are under £4 each.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:12 am

ALK wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:32 pm
Argos is having a sale on 3DS games and there are some pretty good games to boot!

https://www.argos.co.uk/search/3ds/opt/sort:price/

The likes of Warioware Gold, Fire Emblem Warriors, Metroid Prime Federation Forces and more for just £5.99, even the Yo-kai Watch games are under £4 each.
This has prompted me to spend a bit of time on my 3ds - and finally ordered Castlevania for it too. Weirdly, I find, when wearing my glasses, the 3ds screen easier to see than the switch. Not sure why.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.