felgekarp wrote:The Retro Pit?
Your da man felg.. :D

Spot on.. That was it..

Cheers

RIK

juice

Re: Replay Expo 2011 - Official Thread

Post by juice » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Blimey, where'd November go? Anyhow, having run through the post-show feedback to date, here's my penny's worth...

(though first, to set the context: I was one of the "official" photographers wandering around the show - a subset of the photos are on Facebook and a DVD with all the photos/videos I took has been sent to Dave Arcadian, so will no doubt pop up on the website at some point!)

I think the show this year was definitely better than last year - and my impression was that it was much busier, too; unfortunately, I had to leave pretty early on Sunday[*], but Saturday was definitely heaving with people.

As ever, I was too busy wandering around to actually play any games (excepting that utterly mad mega-multiplayer PS2 game which was on the TVs either side of the main stage - anyone know what that is?) - but to be honest, it's a genuine pleasure to see people enjoying the games. Especially the pinballs - I suspect the popularity of these is due to the fact that they're such physical, analog devices, so can't be emulated in the same way as their digital counterparts.

It was also good to see friends and meet new people - it was also good to meet Oli Frey, as I adore his artwork. I forgot to bring his artbook for signing, but he happily signed the posters I bought without any prompting whatsoever :)

In terms of constructive criticism...
The event:
1) The sound system. Obviously, there's a lot of background noise from the machines and the people; quite often, I could hear that something was being said but it was difficult to hear what they were actually saying.
2) The second room seemed to be somewhat underutilised - did the hotel restrict it's use? Putting the talks in there could have been good; aside from reducing the disruption for the "normal" part of the hotel and reducing the light pollution for the screen, it would have given people more room to sit and watch
3) Activity timings: with my official Replay shirt on, I got stopped and asked on multiple occasions when/where stuff was happening. I know they were announced on the PA, but see point 1) above ;)
4) The bar. As people have noted, this was pretty expensive, especially when compared to last year's happy hour (and when compared to Blackpool in general). Also, the staff were somewhat surly, though this could be because there weren't enough of them; there were pretty big queues every time I wandered past.
5) Access to the arcade/pinball machines. As per above, not particularly an issue for me, but my friend (who came down specifically for the pinballs) did get frustrated about the queues. Not sure what could be done about this - there's obviously limits to how many pinball machines can be crammed into a single room!

All told though, I definitely enjoyed myself, and as far as I could tell (and as my photos hopefully show), so did the vast majority of people who attended! So hopefully I'll be back next year ;)

The after-show party:
(and before I sound too negative: I know this was the first time the organiser had attempted to put on this sort of show, and I know there were issues with the venue as a whole. This is more of a "things to consider next time" list...)
1) The layout: the "six people to a round table" layout restricted the ability for people to wander around and converse
2) The quiz: this did go on for too long and involved some overly obscure questions. I know there's been apologies and explanations for both of these points, but I'd suggest that this sort of event doesn't actually need to have a quiz!
3) The bar. Hideously overpriced, very limited choice and not enough barstaff.
3) The music: much as I love SID 80s, the sound quality was pretty poor and the audience as a whole was definitely losing interest towards the end. And if I'm brutally honest, unless you're a big C64 SID fan, a lot of the stuff they play is pretty much unrecognisable; people who know them enjoyed themselves, but I overheard people on one table joking about how the band was playing the same track over and over again!
5) Nintendisco. It sounds like there may have been some knock-on effects from the late running of SID80s, but I really didn't get this: as far as I could tell, it involved someone loudly shouting over a random assortment of song snippets. Really not fun to listen or dance to, and I think this drove a lot of the remaining people out of the venue!

(One thought: if the organiser is brave enough to want to try again next year, it might be worth looking into chiptunes (e.g. Chipzel, Henry Homesweet) or someone like Cold Storage (Tim Wright - Psygnosis composer for games such as Wipeout and Lemmings). There's a few regular events around the country - see Megabytes in Manchester or 8-bit ice cream in Middlesborough - and I suspect the organisers would be happy to help; my impression that most (if not all) of the artists seem to get involved for love rather than money!)

[*] Engineering works added huge amounts of time to my trip back - and while it's outside Replay's remit, I was also more than a little frustrated at the lack of public transport on the Sunday; I stood at the tramstop outside the Norbreck for over 20 minutes without a single bus or tram going past; in the end, I had to take a £10 taxi ride to the station to get to my train in time!
http://www.caffeinated.org.uk/spectrum/ - ZX Spectrum reviews with animated screenshots!
http://www.xboxindiegames.co.uk/ - Reviews for (nearly) every single Xbox Live Indie Game!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:22 pm

Nice write up. One thing I would say about SID80's - I wish they would actually play JUST C64 stuff. All this 'song for a girlfriend' and other stuff was rubbish and ruined it. They did that last time too (although not as much).
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:39 pm

Wasn't the 'song for a girlfriend' a game track - or would have been if '5ex and Drugs...' had been released?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Maybe but was still iffy (as it was last time he sung it). SID 80's should surely be based on SID music - no?

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:34 am

juice wrote:excepting that utterly mad mega-multiplayer PS2 game which was on the TVs either side of the main stage - anyone know what that is?
Ahh, ProjectorGames:)

My favourite Replay section from this year and last year!

It's not actually PS2 based, they just use PS2 controllers. I think it runs on Windows. Anyway, the actual games that were played aren't for general sale, I'm pretty sure you can only play them on ProjectorGames' own systems. Although they do have a couple of games on XBLA, and apparently have some of the other ones as Work In Progress.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:20 am

markopoloman wrote:Nice write up. One thing I would say about SID80's - I wish they would actually play JUST C64 stuff. All this 'song for a girlfriend' and other stuff was rubbish and ruined it. They did that last time too (although not as much).
You're referring to the Cannon Fodder Hill Theme, which started out as a song about a girlfriend Jon had broken up with.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:45 pm

Yep.

handbakedarcade

Post by handbakedarcade » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:43 pm

Well, it's been over a month so thought I may as well stop just reading and post my thoughts on this years event.

Positives
-----------

The event was even bigger than last year which was awesome with a larger range of arcade cabs and pinball tables. This time round I travelled up with a mate from london on the coach and we had an awesome weekend of playing games (last year i didn't end up playing too much).

The couple of talks that I watched some/all of were great and it was good to get away from the intense sounds and lights of a huge room full of computer games :-)

Starting to recognise people and having chats with organisers was nice and I certainly appreciate how much effort goes in to pulling off an event of this scale!

Not really having to queue for much at all on either days, those who are whining about that should stop, there was so much on offer just go play something else and pop back...or wait (5mins).

Negatives
------------

the smell between the main room and tournament room.... i know this has been explained but it was deffinitely a negative. even without the smell i think having the food in that tiny corridor was a bad idea due to the volume of traffic/queues. i didn't personallly eat anything from it as it looked foul and the room stunk of sh*t ;-)

£10 for the after show party. I'm skint at the best of times so this really didn't appeal to me, I didn't go and it sounds like I made a wise decision. To have the same band play both years running seems to me as a promoter extremely lazy. There are so many good chiptune artists across the country, many of which i have contact with and am annoyed I wasn't taken up on my offer of currating some chiptunes for the event.

Something that did annoy me was on the saturday hearing over the tannoy that sunday tickets were cheaper to buy on the day than if you bought them in advance?!? what's that all about? you should reward those people who support you from the beginning and provide you with up front cash not the complete opposite.

Synopsis
----------

Wicked event, I will be back next year, some small quibbles, iron these out and it will be uber-ace!

You may have seen me taking photos with my gameboy camera, well the results are here: http://www.handbakedarcade.co.uk/extraf ... /pics.html
My video is also here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5URmMS-XY
Hand Baked Arcade [new website]
Retro Game Base [shop]

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:22 pm

handbakedarcade wrote:Something that did annoy me was on the saturday hearing over the tannoy that sunday tickets were cheaper to buy on the day than if you bought them in advance?!? what's that all about? you should reward those people who support you from the beginning and provide you with up front cash not the complete opposite.
I think you have misunderstood this. The reduced tickets were only for those who had paid for a saturday ticket. All this did was change their day ticket into a weekend ticket at exactly the same cost as a weekend ticket bought in advance.

handbakedarcade

Post by handbakedarcade » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:35 am

SirClive wrote:
handbakedarcade wrote:Something that did annoy me was on the saturday hearing over the tannoy that sunday tickets were cheaper to buy on the day than if you bought them in advance?!? what's that all about? you should reward those people who support you from the beginning and provide you with up front cash not the complete opposite.
I think you have misunderstood this. The reduced tickets were only for those who had paid for a saturday ticket. All this did was change their day ticket into a weekend ticket at exactly the same cost as a weekend ticket bought in advance.
right, ok fair enough, a few people I spoke to had also understood it in the same way as myself and felt like they'd been cheated. Mis-understanding/communication I guess.
Hand Baked Arcade [new website]
Retro Game Base [shop]