Official Issue 88 Feedback

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

mikeb

Re: Official Issue 88 Feedback

Post by mikeb » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 am

Rev. Stuart Campbell wrote:Er, you know that a mouse IS essentially just a trackball, yes?
:)

Er, yeah anyway.... just wanted to say how much of a standout issue this was for me. The Missile Command stuff was fantastic and I'm still gobsmacked by the Theurer interview. I got a big kick out of the Jon Newcomer, Firebird and Attack of the Clones articles too, in fact these were some of my fave ever RG articles....

And the Cave piece was suberb, and has me now re-addicted to Deathsmiles and Guwange, so thanks for that... Vintage RG all round really - keep it up chaps!

martyg

Post by martyg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:26 am

No Obscura Machina love by anyone for this issue? :)
Marty

ClassicGaming.Com
Atari Gaming Headquarters - http://www.atarihq.com
Midwest Gaming Classic - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com
Electronic Entertainment Museum (E2M)
Syzygy Company - http://www.syzygycompany.com/

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 pm

Just got round to reading the first half of it last night but based on that I would say it's shaping up to be one of the best Obscura Machinas to date. :D

Given that OM is a favourite feature of mine, that I really rated the Retrointrospections you did on various Atari systems and that '70s gaming is so fricking cool I was always going to enjoy the piece regardless of the platform chosen but based what I've read so far the Fairchild Channel F seems to be a very interesting machine with a very interesting history and also an inspired choice for the article.

Roll on clocking off time so I can get home and finish reading it!

merman

Post by merman » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:21 pm

martyg wrote:No Obscura Machina love by anyone for this issue? :)
When everything's so good, it can be easy to forget something... very good article Marty, didn't know about the artwork on the early carts.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:25 am

rainbird rich wrote:
boggyb68 wrote:
I did indeed..

Nothing crazy, I just liked alot of what they published, I can still remember the whole day of when I got Elite on the C64.. and it having Firebird all over it brings back great memories.. also my mates dad worked for BT and had us believe he worked in the games testing dept.. funnily enough we knew alot more about the games than he did and asked him tons of questions about it all to which he just made up rubbish to answer us.. all this makes me think of Firebird with a good feeling.. :)

B.
Ha ha. Well, I also worked for BT and funnily enough I did work in the games testing department! What was his name? ;-)
His name was Dave and he was just a common or garden BT engineer in S London.. with a van.. :)

B.

PS: I agree with all comments on MC and the trackball.. it IS the best way to play it.. I went to the Hi Score shindig last week and spent most of my time playing the Marble Madness cab at The Barn.. I love that game, but can't play it very often with a trackball so couldn't leave it alone.. played MC too but MM is my fave trackball game. Hand hurt like f*ck after a good sesh on it though.. Played Liberator too and after first not liking it I actually quite enjoyed by the end.. was utter sh*te at it though.. :)
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

famicom69

Post by famicom69 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:17 am

How could anyone hate on the Cave article, from what I've read so far it's absolutely fantastic. Amazing to see such an interesting and niche company get the coverage deserves in a western publication. Very encouraging. If you don't like it you could always censored off :D

Easily one of my favourite RG covers too, sublime!

Pete236

Post by Pete236 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 am

That Missile Command cab looked well cool, the trackball and buttons, the artwork on the side. Really great cover on the mag too.

Joachim

Post by Joachim » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:59 am

Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to write the "Cave Story" and an honor to interview Ikeda-san and Asada-san for the current issue of Retro Gamer. Especially for me as a fan of Toaplan. 8) I have worked for German game magazines for several years and I have written about Cave and shmups before, but this article was a matter of the heart. Hopefully you enjoyed reading the feature, because it was my first one for Retro Gamer. Special thanks to Darran for the order and the support - it's always nice to get in contact with people with passion for the things they do.

Best regards
Jo
"It sure was another thrilling adventure that I'll never forget. Let's turn on some funky music." - http://twitter.com/JoachimHesse

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:57 pm

Joachim wrote:Thank you very much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to write the "Cave Story" and an honor to interview Ikeda-san and Asada-san for the current issue of Retro Gamer. Especially for me as a fan of Toaplan. 8) I have worked for German game magazines for several years and I have written about Cave and shmups before, but this article was a matter of the heart. Hopefully you enjoyed reading the feature, because it was my first one for Retro Gamer. Special thanks to Darran for the order and the support - it's always nice to get in contact with people with passion for the things they do.

Best regards
Jo
Good work mate, nice coup getting that interview.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:53 pm

The clones article was great stuff. But you do realize that it really cries out for being turned into a (monthly?) series? There is so much material to work with, both good and bad...

Sir Hilary Bray

Post by Sir Hilary Bray » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:49 am

NorthWay wrote:The clones article was great stuff. But you do realize that it really cries out for being turned into a (monthly?) series? There is so much material to work with, both good and bad...

Indeed!

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:43 am

Well we can always look at turning it into a monthly feature and doing it internally. The whole point of the feature though was to cover the best games, so anything we did would be along the lines of 'Here's a Defender clone that isn't as good as the one Stuart originally mentioned.

Maybe we take it in another direction and choose a popular game and try to cover every possible clone of it. Guess we'll have a wait and see.

Spacepatrol

Post by Spacepatrol » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:30 am

I have to agree that Attack of the Clones is one of the best one off features to appear in the magazine, and would love to see it as a regular feature.

But I have say that the line 'The speccy version looked a lot more like the coin-op..' is the most ridiculous statements ever to appear in the magazine. I don't want to get into the old play ground argument of which was better C64 or Speccy but look at screenshots of both versions and compare them to arcade Track'n'field and it is obvious which looks most like the arcde game. Was this supposed to be ironic?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:16 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Maybe we take it in another direction and choose a popular game and try to cover every possible clone of it. Guess we'll have a wait and see.
Much what I was thinking - look at one game at a time. That would also make sure the more obscure machines get a mention as they usually had to do with clones rather than official ports. You could also look into clones of original computer games (Blagger, China Miner, and all other miner games). (Why Pitfall was the exemption I'm not sure.)
Plus you have a chance to interview the programmer or director asking "what were you thinkning???". Talking to Ian Gray would net you a whole load of games in one go ;-)

(I'd like to hear what Ocean has to say about Gilligan's Gold and all the others mentioned in the article)

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Loved the latest issue, especially all on Misile Comand, obscure machina, homebrew, firebird, even the mailbag. Dark Forces could have been longer, loved this game on the PC in the 90's. Still not liking the 'Future Classic' and can't see the point or how who decides what a classic could be in the future! and think this could be shortend to 1 or even half a page.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)