Star Control II

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Shin_Gouki

Star Control II

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:00 am

A guy on another forum I frequent is selling Star Control II for the 3DO. I'm interested, but I've never actually played the game. Should I get it? I don't usually play strategic type games but the concept is what interests me about it. Plus, it gets talked up in RG and other mags a fair bit.

Opinions/thoughts?
真・豪鬼

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:04 am

You have to be in the right frame of mind to play it. It feels and looks like a PD game. And it's not all that far removed from one. It is actually absolutely brilliant. Just not one for graphic whores. ...and there is a lot of text and a lot of, albeit well choreographed, monologue from the aliens. ...and the game doesn't explain itself well. (Much like this post!)

If you enjoy exploring it is pretty good. Trade that against the learning curve, which is pretty steep - early on you will spend a lot of time re-starting.

While the 3DO version is by far the best (Naturally) you can actually download Star Control 2 for free.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

The asking price for a boxed Star Contol 2 on the 3DO is usually silly money...

Will

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:57 am

Thanks Will, sounds like Ur-Quan Masters is the way to go!
真・豪鬼

william

Post by william » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:54 pm

the 3DO version also has a superb 2 player game(super melee) as well where each player can build their own fleet with any of the ships in the game and kick the other players arse,best thing about the game

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:54 pm

I'd never heard of it till I installed Ur-Quan Masters from the RG disk, loved it, haven't played it for a while though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:14 pm

I loved Star Control on the Megadrive and Star Control II/Urquan Masters took everthing that was good from the first and greatly improved it.

Indeed they don't have the best graphics in the world but who needs them! The gameplay is everything with these games and I feel they score highly here.

I would like to recommend them for anyone who hasn't played them but give them a little time and look beyond the basic, but clear, graphics.

Just thought I'd wade in with my ill-informed, biased opinion, well, everyone else seems to nowadays!
'What's a Ftoomch?'