Charity Shops

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

slacey1070

Charity Shops

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:59 am

Anyone found any "gold" in charity shops and any particular ones you'd recommend checking? I've had a quick look round my local ones and found nothing more than kipper ties, old handbags and video tapes . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

mainvein

Re: Charity Shops

Post by mainvein » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:27 am

i've found some great bargains in charity shops (cdi £2, master system £3, dk Jnr g&w £1) but appears that each shop has its own pricing policy as i've been into different british heart foundations and some have ps1 games for £1 and others have them for £3. The whole thing is just pot luck really, thats part of the fun for me, never know what you will find and for how much. happy hunting though

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:45 am

I got Grandia 2 (pc) for 50p and a Gameboy colour for £5. You need to check them regularly cause rare stuff doesn't stay in charity shops for long...

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:16 am

Unfortunately for me (but fortunately for someone else), I've never found anything too spectacular. The odd PSone great for 50p/£1 (like Spyro The Dragon, Point Blank 2, Abe's Oddysee and a handful of others) and the very occassional Dreamcast/N64 title is about all I can boast. I always check the local charity shops, but I never go in expecting a bargain.

The only charity shop I don't recommend for retro baragins is British Red Cross. The one nearest me is a rip-off for video games. Last time, they had FIFA 2004 on PS2 for £8!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:58 pm

The YMCA shop along the road from me in Hove is sometimes great for finding retro consoles/controllers/games etc - always got a large cabinet full of PS1 games for a quid each. Do enjoy a chance for a look in there on my days off!
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:33 pm

me and misses trawl the charity shops once every 2 weeks, gives them chance to get stock on the shelve....its always hit and miss but its part of the fun. The misses has more luck then I do, she's into her retro handbags and retro/old dresses which she cleans up and makes a tidy profit (black morning dress, from about 1950/60's. she paid £2.50 for it, sold it on for £49 a few days back) I dont agree with her doing that, but it keeps her happy and Im sure she's not the only one....

I pick up the odd ps2/ps1/pc games from a choice of 6 charity shops in scunthorpe high street and 5 in Ashby (still part of scunny) so a total of 11 charity shops usualy unearths a few good items. Still to come across boxed old machines/consoles but time will show...
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:21 pm

All of these have come from local charity shops in the last few months (there's been much more but these are the only pics i have to hand):

ImageImageImageImageImage

Thing is, you have to trawl them regularly, be prepared to get to know the staff, get used to disappointment on a regular basis.....and c0nfu53d is right...good stuff doesn't stay there long...people like me come and have it all :D :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:55 pm

A few PS1 games but that's it. Do get a few good DVDs from time to time but it's normally painfully limited

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:05 pm

I'm not looking for anything rare or anything worth much - I'd just *love* to stumble on an n64 or something . . you've inspired me to start looking and seeing what I can pick up . .
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 pm

slacey1070 wrote:I'm not looking for anything rare or anything worth much - I'd just *love* to stumble on an n64 or something . . you've inspired me to start looking and seeing what I can pick up . .
Good! It's much better it being in a place where its not seen as junk. :)

To be fair ....a lot of the stuff i find is of little intrinsic value (to me) so i give it away in competitions etc....so at least it finds its way to somebody who appreciates it.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

dste

Post by dste » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:47 pm

I got really lucky a while back and picked up a Saturn with 14 games (including Guardian Heroes and Virtua Cop with the gun, Nights pad and memory pack, all boxed for £35 as they were not going to put it out as it had a cable missing. I just picked one up from Ebay and it works fine.

Also from a different shop I picked up 12 complete Mega Drive games for 99p each just as the guy was putting them on the shelves which was lucky

Other times I have gone into shops to find a load of sports games or nothing at all.

It's all about perseverance and not being disappointed/annoyed when you don't find anything.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:50 pm

Sometimes I've had some good finds in charity shops, like Castlevania Symphony of the Night for £2, but I've not had any luck recently though. But, as others had said, it's about perseverance. I even told a mate at work about it as he likes the MD and stuff, and he's going to do the same :D
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

van

Post by van » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:51 pm

local one here had a Sega Saturn for $12(us) with no hook ups or controllers, just the console.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:28 am

Mainly just PS1 games for 50p-£1 a shot, have recently got both Abe games, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, FF7, Resi 1 & 2 for that. Also remember getting a couple of the 'Hack' PS2 RPGs for £1.49 a pop from the PDSA chazza shop. Add to that a few 'video nasty' era horrors and loads of dirt-cheap Levis, but nothing majorly amazing in a retro way.

Nowadays, I've started buying 1999-2004 era PC games from chazza shops, they all run great on my current PC and I've been getting stuff like Thief: Deadly Shadows, Deus Ex, Painkiller, Postal 2, Return To Castle Wolfenstein for pretty much sod-all, it's great I now have a PC capable of playing them properly, I even got a scraggy but sealed Virtua Fighter 2 for 10p not too long back. I really like looking out for the PC stuff, I'm currently seeking out more obscure FPSy stuff as any game at 50p a pop isn't really a gamble.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:34 am

I must visit the wrong charity shops, all the ones in Ealing never have any video games!

PSN username - MartinPhantom