What grinds your gears ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

The Laird

Re: What grinds your gears ?

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:50 pm
I wouldn't know, I've no interest in the men. I only watch the women.
I bet you do :wink:

It's all that grunting :lol:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:58 pm

The Laird wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:47 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:50 pm
I wouldn't know, I've no interest in the men. I only watch the women.
I bet you do :wink:

It's all that grunting :lol:
Men grunting while hitting there balls with a racket

Im sure ive seen that video somewhere
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:44 am

Wimbledon does seem very low key this year, with Murray out, and England still in the WC. But I'll get back on the wimbledon wagon as the tennis legends of Federer and Nadal continue to progress. It will be truly agonising if we get a Federer v Nadal wimbledon final this year, as it would start 2pm next sunday, which means just 2 hours before the WC Final (which, at the time of writing this post, may have England feature in it!).

Lets hope its not a repeat of the 2008 final, I doubt Fed or Nadal have the energy of a decade ago to go 6 hours or however long it lasted!

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am

It's the soap fans that moan about sport on TV that do my nut in.

Corrie has been moved half hour due to the match over running. Oh no, it's not like soaps aren't on 365 days a year.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm

dste wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 am
It's the soap fans that moan about sport on TV that do my nut in.

Corrie has been moved half hour due to the match over running. Oh no, it's not like soaps aren't on 365 days a year.
I don't know why people still bother with soaps, Isn't it just marry, baby, divorce, murder repeat all year round.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:55 pm

Dont know why people bother with most things on TV, its mostly fake.

People in work talking about Love island
Its "Reality TV" right?
Its fake
Pro wrestling is more real

Anyway
trying to get a cheap folding bike
Im 6.2
All of them are for people under that height, the only ones that are seem to be the ones for triple what I want to pay
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 pm

Arnie wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:55 pm
I don't know why people still bother with soaps, Isn't it just marry, baby, divorce, murder repeat all year round.
I have absolutely no idea, don't think I have seen any of the soaps for a good decade now.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 pm

My driving. :(

I learned and passed my test in a diesel car but now I'm driving by myself in a petrol my driving has gone to pot. I'm forgettign to change down gear a lot and also I'm stalling quite a bit, even when I don't stall I'm very slow off the mark when I move off, I decide in my head to go but there a second or two gap before I can get the car moving significantly. I've been going for short pracitce drives but I've had some terrible experiences, not crashed or anything, but the worst bit was stalling 3 times in a row at some bust lights and completely missing the light change, with cars waiting behind me.

My insurance cooling off period ends on Thursday and I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses now and try to find an automatic, everybody says I'll get the hang of the gas and clutch eventually but I just don't have faith in my ability to go when i want to at the moment, which could be dangerous on a busy junction or roundabout.

Driving world be a world of difference easier if I could actually move off forward when i actually want to, instead of trying to solve a Rubiks puzzle with my feet before I can move. I seems so odd to me that cars are using the same old technology when easier technology exists, I can't think of any other industry that's as stuck in the mud as cars and manual gear boxes, imagine Samsung, still making chunky cathode ray tube tvs for the mass market, or Sony making a new playstation with a controller with just a d-pad and no analog sticks. Yeah autos they make the car more expensive but you can say that about the power steering , ABS and all the other tech we'ce come to expect with a car.

Also people who overtake on roads with speed bumps. I was doing 20 on a 20 mph road with speed bumps and some guy overtook me because I was apparently going too slow. Don't they see they are the reason the speed bumps are there in the first place!?! :roll:
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am

You will get it. I stalled a few times, and pulling away was hard. It's the change in car, small things get in the way.give it a few months and you won't even be thinking about the gears, it becomes instinct. You'll get used to the different power to weight ratio.

Remember the first time you used a PlayStation? All those buttons. Most natural thing in the world. Same thing.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 am

Go to a car park and just practice pulling away. On the road there’s the way they teach you and the way the real world drives. Look at the motorway, does everyone do 70 mph and nothing over ? Course not. You see new drivers on the motorway doing exactly 70 and that caused tons of issues as lorries then overtake them slowly causing traffic

On a fair few roads with speed bumps you drive a bit faster to the bump then slow down over it. That’s what the majority do. If you’re going super slow all the way down the road the odd person will try to overtake.

When I passed my test it was a shock when you realise everyone else drives different

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 am

pratty wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 pm

My insurance cooling off period ends on Thursday and I'm wondering if I should just cut my losses now and try to find an automatic, everybody says I'll get the hang of the gas and clutch eventually but I just don't have faith in my ability to go when i want to at the moment, which could be dangerous on a busy junction or roundabout.
While becoming proficient at clutch control and manual gearboxes is indeed a positive thing, don't beat yourself up over it as you've already passed your test which is the main thing. Automatic cars are great, and removes a lot of the stress and strains out of driving, especially in traffic jams which makes up a lot of Britains roads anyway! I have both a manual and an automatic car, and I drive the auto a lot lot more and find it a lot more relaxing and comfortable.

Unless you're some sort of driving "purist", you would probably be better off just going down the automatic route, and you won't regret it, since auto cars are now so commonplace in this country compared to a couple of decades ago. They're significantly improved as well, so don't let car-geeks put you off them, as they will absolutely do exactly what it says on the tin, and you'll find yourself almost never wanting to use 3 peddles and a stick-shift again (there is simply no pleasure in hill starts in manual cars, and yea, just being able to put your foot down at busy junctions is a breeze without thinking about the clutch biting point). You should maybe test drive a few automatic cars and see how it makes you feel, in terms of confidence and overall driving pleasure.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Thanks guys.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:21 am
Remember the first time you used a PlayStation? All those buttons. Most natural thing in the world. Same thing.
I did think of it in those terms, but obviously the consequences of ballsing things up are potentially far greater with a car. :|

I had a short, easy drive ealier tonight, didn't stall at any junctions, though i did forget to change to first once, but still made it. The cost of not stalling though seems to come at the expense of being far too slow of the mark, I always have to compose myself for a second to figure out exactly what I need to do with my feet, so my concern is on a busy junction or roundabout is I could lose my chance to go, and if i still go but too slow that could cause a problem.
psj3809 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:39 am
On the road there’s the way they teach you and the way the real world drives.
That's one of the most frustrating things while learning. For example the highway code says not to flash your lights to send signals to other drivers that they can go, because you could be leading them into danger neither of you have seen. But my instructor said if somebody flashes you and you don't go then you're holding up traffic and could be maked down on the test. :?
Sephiroth81 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:06 am
While becoming proficient at clutch control and manual gearboxes is indeed a positive thing, don't beat yourself up over it as you've already passed your test which is the main thing. Automatic cars are great, and removes a lot of the stress and strains out of driving, especially in traffic jams which makes up a lot of Britains roads anyway! I have both a manual and an automatic car, and I drive the auto a lot lot more and find it a lot more relaxing and comfortable.

Unless you're some sort of driving "purist", you would probably be better off just going down the automatic route, and you won't regret it, since auto cars are now so commonplace in this country compared to a couple of decades ago. They're significantly improved as well, so don't let car-geeks put you off them, as they will absolutely do exactly what it says on the tin, and you'll find yourself almost never wanting to use 3 peddles and a stick-shift again (there is simply no pleasure in hill starts in manual cars, and yea, just being able to put your foot down at busy junctions is a breeze without thinking about the clutch biting point). You should maybe test drive a few automatic cars and see how it makes you feel, in terms of confidence and overall driving pleasure.
That's all I want from a car, I just want to get from A to B as easy and safely as possible. My dad has an auto and said he'd let me have a go, I can only imagine it will be much preferable. I've not commited to the idea yet, got a few days to think on it, I'm 50/50 at the moment. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:34 pm

pratty wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:21 pm

That's all I want from a car, I just want to get from A to B as easy and safely as possible. My dad has an auto and said he'd let me have a go, I can only imagine it will be much preferable. I've not commited to the idea yet, got a few days to think on it, I'm 50/50 at the moment. :|
Yep, autos are so so much easier to drive, and its nice to just relax and give your left foot a break!

There is no doubt you'd eventually get used to driving a manual, but autos are the way forward in my book, especially on our stupidly congested british roads, with roundabouts and junctions aplenty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:10 pm

pratty wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:14 pm
My driving. :(

I learned and passed my test in a diesel car but now I'm driving by myself in a petrol my driving has gone to pot. I'm forgettign to change down gear a lot and also I'm stalling quite a bit, even when I don't stall I'm very slow off the mark when I move off, I decide in my head to go but there a second or two gap before I can get the car moving significantly. I've been going for short pracitce drives but I've had some terrible experiences, not crashed or anything, but the worst bit was stalling 3 times in a row at some bust lights and completely missing the light change, with cars waiting behind me.

Driving world be a world of difference easier if I could actually move off forward when i actually want to, instead of trying to solve a Rubiks puzzle with my feet before I can move. I seems so odd to me that cars are using the same old technology when easier technology exists, I can't think of any other industry that's as stuck in the mud as cars and manual gear boxes, imagine Samsung, still making chunky cathode ray tube tvs for the mass market, or Sony making a new playstation with a controller with just a d-pad and no analog sticks. Yeah autos they make the car more expensive but you can say that about the power steering , ABS and all the other tech we'ce come to expect with a car.

Also people who overtake on roads with speed bumps. I was doing 20 on a 20 mph road with speed bumps and some guy overtook me because I was apparently going too slow. Don't they see they are the reason the speed bumps are there in the first place!?! :roll:
When I first passed my test, the stalling thing happened to me a lot until I discovered the reason why. Basically, I too learnt in a diesel and diesels have some power on the clutch alone meaning that you can pull off just by raising the clutch to the bite point which is also ideal for creeping forward in traffic jams. This isn't the same with a petrol car as it will stall if you don't also put sufficient power down while at the bite point.

The problem I had was that the driving instructor didn't explain this to me so I had no idea what was going on when I bought a petrol car and kept stalling it. Once I found out what I was doing wrong though, I took the car down to some quiet residential areas with wide roads and just practiced. Literally changed my driving with a day or so.

Some cars also have anti-stall technology too so if you ARE going to stall it, the car will put a bit of extra power down to keep you going. Again, the car I learnt to drive in and pass my test with had this and my first car didn't.

As for gearboxes, I can't really say anything helpful on that front because I am a bit of a petrolhead and can't be without a manual gearbox. Absolutely love the involvement with the car, especially when out for a drive and attacking a good B-Road. That said, auto 'boxes have been good for quite a while now, unlike the older ones which could be sloppy and slow to change up but we're going back to the 90's and previous when talking about those.

Just keep plugging away and get down to some quiet roads for a bit of practice to build your confidence in the car that you have. You'll be okay :) I can say this because I was exactly the same as you when I first got my car and was stalling it at junctions with pissed off drivers behind blasting their horns but once I realised what I was doing wrong (as I detailed above), I got some practice in and was flying in no time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:56 am

pratty wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:21 pm
I remember when i first passed i used to blast out music in my first car, second i was at a junction i turned down the music as i had to listen to the car when trying to pull away in first !

But go to a car park, just practice lots stopping/starting. You must have done it alright when having lessons and also to pass the test. Just practice a bit in a car park, then once your confidence is up practice on a local estate (so theres 'some' cars behind you etc) and just keep growing in confidence. Driving a new car is always a bit of a surprise, when i drove my mother in laws Golf as the 'bite' level was so different to mine i kept stalling at first ! Got used to it now (as i bought the car off her !)

I've always preferred gears, just feel more control over it. Automatics make me feel quite sick when it changes gears !