Food/Drink from the past

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

mtsang12

Food/Drink from the past

Post by mtsang12 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Having lunch just now and got me thinking, where did Diet Coke with Lemon went to?? It was one of my fave drinks but it just suddenly disappeared. Anyone remember food or drinks that just suddenly stop appearing?

Sputryk

Re: Food/Drink from the past

Post by Sputryk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Cans of Quattro, and bags of Mexican Spice flavoured Wheelz (which I really, really, REALLY do want bringing back!). :D

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:34 pm

Proper Mars & Milky Way Duo's. You know, the one's that contained 2 full size bars, instead of the piddly bars you get nowaday. Also, and I seem to be the only one who remembers this, Pepsi Tropical. Bloody lovely, and tasted like Pineapples.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

mtsang12

Post by mtsang12 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:40 pm

JetSetWilly wrote: Also, and I seem to be the only one who remembers this, Pepsi Tropical. Bloody lovely, and tasted like Pineapples.
Am not a fan of pepsi, but I never heard of Pepsi Tropical. That reminds me, where has lilt gone to?

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:57 pm

Tab Clear. Delightfully confusing. Probably radioactive. Perfect.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:21 pm

The Master wrote:Tab Clear. Delightfully confusing. Probably radioactive. Perfect.
Did it have 'Canned at Chernobyl' on the side, then? :wink: Strangely, I really liked it.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:48 pm

mtsang12 wrote:That reminds me, where has lilt gone to?
Lilt's still around, except it's been 'Tangofied', basically they've replaced 90% of the sugar with sweeteners, so you get something that tastes mildly sweet and Lilty but nothing like proper Lilt, they've raped the flavour and appeal out of it, just like they did with Tango - there's no 'diet' version of either of those drinks these days, WYSIWYG. :(

Bah, having an ice-cold, 2-litre bottle of old-skool sugary Lilt in the fridge, getting up on a morning and just having five or six swigs...bliss.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:56 pm

This brings to mind the Wispa relaunch. Plus a few years ago Heinz relaunched Salad cream.

I do remember the clear cola Tab. What the hell happened to it?

Does anyone remember an old sweet called Nerds. They were small fruit flavoured bits of candy. Similar to Tic Tacs I suppose. There was a scare about them in the UK because some packs got contaminated with pieces of glass and stuff in them. I think they got withdrawn and relaunched, but nowadays I can't see them anywhere.

Also does anyone know where in the UK you can get the almond M & M? I know it pops up sometimes in posh cinemas in London(although that is pretty rare nowadays), but I can't see it anywhere else. Hmmm, think I'm going to have to order it from the USA.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:45 am

Katzkatz wrote:This brings to mind the Wispa relaunch. Plus a few years ago Heinz relaunched Salad cream.

I do remember the clear cola Tab. What the hell happened to it?

Does anyone remember an old sweet called Nerds. They were small fruit flavoured bits of candy. Similar to Tic Tacs I suppose. There was a scare about them in the UK because some packs got contaminated with pieces of glass and stuff in them. I think they got withdrawn and relaunched, but nowadays I can't see them anywhere.

Also does anyone know where in the UK you can get the almond M & M? I know it pops up sometimes in posh cinemas in London(although that is pretty rare nowadays), but I can't see it anywhere else. Hmmm, think I'm going to have to order it from the USA.
Nerds? Hell yeah!

Didn't they have odd flavours (for the time) like Sour Apple or summat?

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 am

I loved that Quattro drink. And Pacers with the green stripes through 'em. Oh and hedgehog flavour crisps :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:39 am

JazzFunk wrote:
mtsang12 wrote:That reminds me, where has lilt gone to?
Lilt's still around, except it's been 'Tangofied', basically they've replaced 90% of the sugar with sweeteners, so you get something that tastes mildly sweet and Lilty but nothing like proper Lilt, they've raped the flavour and appeal out of it, just like they did with Tango - there's no 'diet' version of either of those drinks these days, WYSIWYG. :(
Lilt rules - it's pretty rare though. Oh yeah, you can get diet Tango - it comes in a grey can like this:

As somebody who works in a cash and carry, I know all about stuff like this, what sells, what doesn't etc.

Some more retro food and drinks that I miss:

- Pepsi with lemon twist
- Vanilla Coca-cola]
- Fish 'n Chips/Chicken 'n Chips - cheap biscuit/crisp things that I loved
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

mtsang12

Post by mtsang12 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:
- Pepsi with lemon twist
- Vanilla Coca-cola]
- Fish 'n Chips/Chicken 'n Chips - cheap biscuit/crisp things that I loved
I didn't know pepsi with lemon existed, i always loved the diet coke with lemon version though. I've never seen tango in grey either lol.

I can't believe lilt is still around, my family runs a take away, and we go to the cash and carrys often but haven't seen them in years.

Does anyone remember the ice cream called Feast? I loved that, but they just seemed to have stopped without notice =/

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:56 pm

'Does anyone remember the ice cream called Feast? I loved that, but they just seemed to have stopped without notice'

I do, im sure one of the supermarkets does their own version of it .

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:45 pm

djcarlos wrote:
Nerds? Hell yeah!

Didn't they have odd flavours (for the time) like Sour Apple or summat?
Yeah I think that was one of the flavours of them.

SoupDragon wrote:'Does anyone remember the ice cream called Feast? I loved that, but they just seemed to have stopped without notice'

I do, im sure one of the supermarkets does their own version of it .
Yeah I I also remember Feast. Was made by Walls Ice Cream. Had a thin chocolate coating with crunchy pieces(possibly nuts?), a softer lighter chocolate inner filling, followed by a hard chocolate filling inside. All on the traditional wooden stick(can't remember if it had a joke written on it). Yeah they seem to have disappeared. The last time I looked in the ice cream section at the supermarket they weren't there, plus the last time I used an Ice Cream van they were also not there. Looking at Walls UK website they still produce it. But where do they sell them now?

Does anyone remember a lemon and lime flavoured fizzy drink called "Gini"? I remember it used to be in the vending machines at one of the places I worked at. Seems to have disappeared from the UK.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:55 pm

Nerds

You can get from Cyber Candy and Selfridges of all places :P

Fizzy drinks especially those with fruit in tend to go in cycles.. See Fanta, Sunkist, Orangina, Appletise etc. They get released. massive amounts of promotion and then get progressively dropped over time as the 'core' brands continue.. Eventually getting relaunched every so often

Walls Balls .. Scotch Eggs with out the Egg..
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769