Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Discuss the games of yesteryear while feeling all fuzzy inside.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

davyK

Re: Gamecube - your favourite title and collecting

Post by davyK » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I have a small JPN GC collection but they are all gems.

1. Mr Driller Drill Land. Wonderful follow up with plenty of new modes and a couple of amusing multi-player modes. (This won't save to the memory card with a Freeloader so watch out).

2. Super Star Soldier. Solid shmup with a main mode and 2 and 5min caravan modes.

3. Nintendo Puzzle Collection. Panel de Pon (aka Tetris Attack) ,Dr. Mario and Yoshi's Cookie with 4 player modes all on one disc.

4. Kururin Squash. Followup to the ingenious GBA game - this adds a 4 player race mode and a nice fight mode that is reminiscent of the fighting game in Monkey Ball.

5. Castle Shikigami 2. Gorgeous modern STG gets a great Gamecube port.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:25 pm

I need to have a proper look at the JPN/USA releases as I own a couple and have some on my list that I want but not that many.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:03 am

davyK wrote:1. Mr Driller Drill Land. Wonderful follow up with plenty of new modes and a couple of amusing multi-player modes. (This won't save to the memory card with a Freeloader so watch out).
Yeah, it requires a Japanese formatted memory card, which you can only get with a Japanese GameCube BIOS. Same apples to the Japanese release of first Donkey Konga as well iirc.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:21 pm

So my 1080p upscaler came!

I plugged my S-Video cable in and got a stripey test screen, but with audio. Bolloks!

I plugged my old AV lead in and it works! The picture is horrible, though.

I plugged the SCART lead back in and it's the best picture of all. Not perfect, but better than the other two.

Has anyone had any joy with these little gadgets? I've messaged the seller, but I suspect I'll be looking for a refund.
2015 NL East Division Champions.
2015 NL Championship Winners.
Let's Go Mets!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:01 pm

Meh.

Sticking with scart. Sharper picture with albeit jaggy lines, but at least it's honest.

censored your upscaler, Mr. eScum man :(
Let's Go Mets!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:06 am

I tried a cheap HD upscaler with my Wii once, it did not work well. It did technically upscale the picture through HDMI but the quality was crap. Since my new TV doesn't do sub HD resolutions that well (they look blurry) I tend to just stick with my CRT. The games just look better on it in my opinion.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:45 pm

Yes. I'm going to try to acquire an old CRT. Freecycle have loads, usually.
Let's Go Mets!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Decent CRT and official RGB scart cable is probably the best option for a PAL 'cube. :)

Optimal GC picture is an NTSC or region free modded DOL-001 'cube using NTSC 480p optimised games (progressive scan). Input via component cable on an NTSC (60hz) compatible TV. Expensive setup, but oh so worth it.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:54 am

As someone who likes to future-proof my game systems to some extent, I've been looking at the Eon GCHD device.

It's not at all cheap but probably cheaper than the component cables, and it has got great reviews.

However the reviews are usually for NTSC Cubes and games which will output at 480p (and something about "progressive scan"), and as far as I'm aware the PAL cube doesn't do this, 480i at best I think?

I do have a modded Japanese Gamecube that will play American games, but my collection is almost entirely PAL games.

The best GC cable I own is a third party RGB scart. I also have a PAL Wii with a component cable to play Gamecube games on, but it would be nice to hook up my Cubes directly to a modern telly with HDMI.

Does anybody think there's any significant benefit to the Eon GCHD for a PAL Gamecube. I'm sure it's still an improvement but is it enough to justify the price? I suppose the HMDI connection in itself could be useful, as the Wii doesn't even have that. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (June 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823