What Comics did you read as a kid?

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

MattyC64c

What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:21 pm

Ahh, Comics, they arn't as popular as they used to be on they. Did you ask for the Beano and Dandy Comics when you were a kid? I did, in fact I had several, I got rid of them though years ago. Shame really, they would have picked up a few quid these days.

Anyone remember 'Commando'? It was a small comic book with different World War II stories. I had loads of them when I was a nipper too. How about 'Eagle'? I'm sure there were various cartoon stories in there, Dan Dare featured prominently.

Another favourite of mine was the classic 2000AD, which I understand is still going strong.

What were your comics back in the day?

Kilb

Re: What Comics did you read as a kid?

Post by Kilb » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

Yeah, I use to read those Commando comics (I suppose you could call them graphic novels)
Or course 200AD
and Battle before and after it joined with Action Force. It had the greatest strip ever in it, Charleys War
Last edited by Kilb on Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:19 pm

Victor. Started with Issue 1000, which was also the start of my favourite storyline in a comic - The Rafferty Plan. Sadly, got rid of them all before leaving junior school - I actually gave them away to my junior school as they were having a collection for stuff for future students to read. Would love to re-read TRP. Also read both Dandy and Beano that my brothers got during those formative years.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Marvel Star Wars, for the original contradictory EU that was stomped all over by the remaining sequels and prequels. Still good fun though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:37 pm

Beano, Dandy, Eagle, 200AD, Topper and what was that Sunday school one? Warcry? Got that too but wasn't really a comic. I still have some Commando ones.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:44 pm

Transformers the comic. Later on I got Star Trek:TNG comic. Anyone remember these?

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:58 pm

I remember seeing the first issue of 2000AD advertised on tv and getting my dad to pick it up for me on his way home from work, I'd probably got a few issues of The Beano, The Dandy and Whizzer & Chips lying around as well. I think I've got a pile of Starblazers around somewhere and a few Commandos, I've also got a pile of those old Alan Class comics, Creepy Worlds, Suspense, Astounding Stories, you used to be able to pick those up in GT News. Then my uncle showed me his collection of american DC comics and there was no going back.
Splink!

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:09 am

Beano (as my sister got it every week), Dandy occasionally and M.A.S.K.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 am

MattyC64c wrote: Anyone remember 'Commando'? It was a small comic book with different World War II stories.
That's still going! Britain's 3rd longest-running comic, after the Beano and the Dandy.

M'self, I got the Beano, Dandy, Buster, Sonic The Comic, Beavis & Butt-Head, Ren & Stimpy, Zig & Zag, Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet... Still read the Beano every so often in work, and the editor's a really nice guy: About a year ago I read a Beano at work, and one of the stories was the third in a four-parter thing. I emailed the editor asking if I could order back issues so I could read the first two parts, but instead he just sent me the two issues for free, even got some of the artists to sign them! What a guy.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 am

Whizzer & Chips, The Beano, The Dandy & The Broons/Oor Wullie. I still get the The Broons/Oor Wullie annuals every Christmas & I've started buying The Beano again! :P

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 am

Oh, and anyone thinking of picking up the Dandy for "old time's sake" will have a hard time finding it. This is what it looks like these days:
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:51 pm

Back in the 80s, I use to flip through several comics from Asterix, Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Toppers, Hotspur and Victor. It was followed by Thundercats and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in which Marvel hold the rights to publish it. Think it was 30p for each issues. Some annual books such as Ghostbusters, Galaxy Rangers and Transformers had some comic section too, which became part of the contents.

Into the 90s with the Beano and Dandy comics going strong, I came across Triffik!, Buster, Peanuts, Garfield and Sonic The Comic. Still had memories of DC and Marvel comics available in newsagents and local libraries. Used to read a lot of Spiderman, X-Men, Batman and Superman comics as they're incredibly popular and I relied on my brothers to pick it up. Plus I was introduced to martial arts comics from Hong Kong which includes Black Panther and Street Fighter II (published by Jademan).

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Commando is still going? Really, after all these years? Cool!!

Where can i get a copy?

As for the Beano, has it all gone politicaly correct? Does Dennis get wacked with a slipper anymore?

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:11 pm

TwoHeadedBoy

Oh, and anyone thinking of picking up the Dandy for "old time's sake" will have a hard time finding it. This is what it looks like these days:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
The barbarian! Where has his hair gone?

And where is Maria?

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:51 pm

I used to enjoy reading Spike! It featured William Wilson and Iron Bar the best goalkeeper ever!