Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Re: Ridge Racer - Arse or Class?

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:45 am

will2097 wrote:
There are 2 variations and 3 speeds and all can be played in reverse. The drift mechanic in the first is nearly identical to RR7. Have you even played it?
No, never Will. I just say all this to wind you up. Is it working?

For the record, the drift mechanic in the first game and RR2 (PSP) and RR7 (PSP) couldn't be more different. It all started with RR64 which allowed a new method of drifting (which allowed you to drift full 360) which has been used for the latest instalments which actually makes the game very playable. Even R4, as beautiful as it is has horrible drifting.

Read the OP and see that random_dave is experiencing the same problem, the drifting in the original game is a bag of wank. It does it when it wants to and even worse than that; when you DON'T want it to. It's just a bit of a mess tbh.

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:13 am

Ridge Racer games have always been brilliant fun. I have enjoyed them ever since the first one and still enjoy the PS3 version. A great and classic racing game series.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 am

C=Style wrote:I don't mind the series as a whole but they don't compare to Sega's finest imho.

I do think Ridge Racer (the original) is incredibly overrated. The scalextric-type handling isn't very good at all, the whole drift mechanic is horrible at least until later games in the series which got it right, 1 boring track to race endlessly around. zzzzzz There's just nothing too it, it's too easy and it has no substance unlike say... Daytona USA :wink: which takes ages to master, 3 very different tracks (not counting mirrors) which takes a lot of strategy and varied driving to get good lap times (shortcuts), RR can't possibly compare for me, it's on another level entirely.
Yet another thread where you expess your wrongness ;)

Back when Revolution was released I spent an unhealthy amount of time playing that game, it is not an easy game to master. Yes a novice can get round the tracks and beat the game no problem but it's when you start using the White Angel to shave hundredths of a second of your lap times, perfecting insane drifts. It's not a slow game either. Sometimes simplicity is a good thing, GT (and to a lesser extent RR4) is the polar opposite, those games always got abandoned because it was too big and too slow, there's nowhere near the same replayability.

As for the PSP racers, they're brilliant but they're incredibly difficult to finish...I've finished neither as the last few tourneys are virtually impossible as they demand perfection.

PS Daytona is balls, it bored me senseless and Sega Rally wasn't exactly festooned with choice either but it's very similar to RR if you ask me.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:47 am

Oh I always thought that R: Racing Revolution for the Game Cube was part of the RR series.. That was ugly. I only bought it because they gave Pac-Man Vs with it (the best spent 10 pounds at an HMV in London in 2004).
I've never been a fan of the series, anyway. I did play the first RR somewhat, but I felt the series was loosing the appeal with the new chapters. A little like what happened to Test Drive. Just as such, I am glad to hear that the latest instalments are better.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:58 am

C=Style wrote: For the record, the drift mechanic in the first game and RR2 (PSP) and RR7 (PSP) couldn't be more different. It all started with RR64 which allowed a new method of drifting (which allowed you to drift full 360) which has been used for the latest instalments which actually makes the game very playable. Even R4, as beautiful as it is has horrible drifting..
You can do a 360 in Revolution and the drifting isn't significantly different between the first games and the PSP versions. IMO the drifting started to change in Rage Racer, it became much harder to pull off, then it became easier again in later games (looking at the PSP versions as I've not put a lot of time in the 360/PS2/3 versions).
C=Style wrote:Read the OP and see that random_dave is experiencing the same problem, the drifting in the original game is a bag of wank. It does it when it wants to and even worse than that; when you DON'T want it to. It's just a bit of a mess tbh.
That's complete rubbish, you can control your drifting in the first 2 games, I could get round any of the courses in the first game with very little or no drift, at vmax using the fastest cars.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:12 am

I've never been a fan of the series, I always found it difficult to drift the way I wanted to accurately and consistently. I'd much rather play Burnout.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:40 am

^ Exactly, the drift in the early games is not consistent, even when taken into consideration with it's own f**cked up physics.

And Mr Angry Jock, Sega Rally is nothing like RR, why on earth do you say that? lol! Sega Rally requires way more skill and has a variety of different track surfaces to race on all requiring a different approach to racing. I mean the skill involved to get around Lakeside without clipping the side of the track is what this game is all about, again I find it's in a different league altogether. RR is a one trick pony, and even then it doesn't get it quite right. ;)

random_dave

Post by random_dave » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:47 am

i'm definitely enjoying playing the early ones, but it just seems a little fustrating that it can feel a little inconsistent at times.

Sometimes i'll turn in early, use a cheeky little bit of drift, ease off to straighten up and off i go, but at least 50% of the time I'll end up either turning early and the car spearing into the inside barrier, the drift not starting and just understeering to the outside barrier, drifting and then when straightening up the engine bogging down massively and wasting all my speed or coming out of a drift and the car locking it's angle before it's straight, and then spearing into a wall.

Now these seem a little inconsistent, but also part of my brain thinks it may be that i need to play with the fine lines between the rules of the system and eventually master it.
Presumably then, with mastery will come massive enjoyment.

It's certainly a very different animal to Sega Rally/Daytona, and perhaps the way i was brought up primarily with those games wired something in my brain early on that meant Segas driving models made more sense to me
MSN: dlanki [at] Hotmail.com
360: lanki of badger
psn/twitter/playfire: random_dave

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:52 am

I've always found the drifting in the early RR games to be perfectly responsive to me at all times(and this is coming from someone who is awful at 90% of racing games). Thats why I like the RR series so much. Its the perfect pick up and play racer for me - easy to learn and hard to fully master.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:53 am

C=Style wrote:^ Exactly, the drift in the early games is not consistent, even when taken into consideration with it's own f**cked up physics.
That just says to me that you lack skill with that particular game.
C=Style wrote:And Mr Angry Jock, Sega Rally is nothing like RR, why on earth do you say that? lol! Sega Rally requires way more skill and has a variety of different track surfaces to race on all requiring a different approach to racing.
Does it really require more skill? Think about it. You drive fast and drift around a corner as fast as you can. Sega Rally has a slightly more sim feel and a bit more polish about it but it's really just an arcade racer underneath it all. It's much closer to RR than it is to Gran Turismo.
C=Style wrote:I mean the skill involved to get around Lakeside without clipping the side of the track is what this game is all about
That exact statement could apply to Rage Racer. It could also apply to clearing the the 2 most difficult corners in RR or half dozen or so in RRR. It also takes skill to get round those courses at top speed without clipping the scenery and ruining a time.
Retropassion reborn

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:55 am

I could never say 'no' to an arcade racer (well, unless the first word in the title is Cruis'n). It's a close run thing, but I'd say Ridge Racer is my favourite of them all. Turbo boosts in the last two sequels are a bit arse though.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:56 am

I like the games. 4 was my particular fave. I just really got stuck into that one.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:01 am

random_dave wrote:i'm definitely enjoying playing the early ones, but it just seems a little fustrating that it can feel a little inconsistent at times.

Sometimes i'll turn in early, use a cheeky little bit of drift, ease off to straighten up and off i go, but at least 50% of the time I'll end up either turning early and the car spearing into the inside barrier, the drift not starting and just understeering to the outside barrier, drifting and then when straightening up the engine bogging down massively and wasting all my speed or coming out of a drift and the car locking it's angle before it's straight, and then spearing into a wall.

Now these seem a little inconsistent, but also part of my brain thinks it may be that i need to play with the fine lines between the rules of the system and eventually master it.
Presumably then, with mastery will come massive enjoyment.

It's certainly a very different animal to Sega Rally/Daytona, and perhaps the way i was brought up primarily with those games wired something in my brain early on that meant Segas driving models made more sense to me
This sums it up perfectly for me. This is the same issue I take with it.

Angry Jock, I'm happy to say I'm not the greatest RR gamer out there, a game has to be fun before you consider mastering it so if I lack skill it's because the game never hooked me in the first place. It's just never clicked with me on the same level as Rallly/Daytona which are so addictive and fun to play.

That said, I've not played it in a good while so as I type this I am now ripping my R4 RR Bonus Disk to my PC and I'm gonna put it on the PSP and give it another crack. Can't say fairer than that :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:05 am

Anyone who says the drifting in the early Ridge Racers is unpredictable can't play the game properly.

Its incredibly easy to start and end a drift in RR1, it explains it in the manual. Its so precise I don't even think about it any more.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Vanderkaum

Post by Vanderkaum » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:26 am

R4 might be my favorite arcade racing game of all time but I love all the classic PS1 and PS2 Ridge Racer games.

I've never played the newer renditions but I will see if I can get my hands on some of them soon. I hear only good things about the PSP versions.