Space Giraffe coming to Xbox360

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:30 am

£3.40 sounds more than reasonable.

As a follow on question for those who played and didn't like it:
How long did you play it before you decided you'd had enough and stopped? (not counting you thinking 'this is crap', but actually stopping playing).
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:27 am

The price is key for me. At a boxed price it would be a joke, at 1200 points I'd have giggled. At 800 points I'd have tried the demo and *probably* bought it but not if I didn't know Jeff's work and had you guys/WOS/SA.

400 I bought before I played. Very deliberately.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Grahame

Post by Grahame » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:54 am

I tried the demo and didn't enjoy it too much. Probably because I prefer Super Stardust/Geometry Wars style of shooters.

Gonna give it another try after work, first impressions can sometimes be deceiving I guess.
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:16 am

Grahame wrote:first impressions can sometimes be deceiving I guess.
Frequently the case with Jeff's games. Try Iridis Alpha for instance. Complete tosh to start with, then after reading the instructions and half an hour of play, something just 'clicks'. Thereafter its one of his greatest works and an essential part of any shmup fan's collection.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:19 pm

Grahame wrote:I tried the demo and didn't enjoy it too much. Probably because I prefer Super Stardust/Geometry Wars style of shooters.

Gonna give it another try after work, first impressions can sometimes be deceiving I guess.
It's much better than Stardust imo, one of my irks with Sony is that only some of the "Arcade" games can be downloaded as a demo. I'd heard good things about Stardust and being a HUGE fan of Geo Wars, I happily stumped up the cash. Colour me disappointed, it looks nice but it's not one I play regularly. That's why I've only downloaded one of your games Mr Sony if you're listening.

Back to SG it's a cracking game that you gradually get better at, I've personally not taken it past level 10 yet as I'm trying to increase my score on the earlier levels, learning patterns, and the best place to start each level, just increased my best to 8.25 million over a previous best of 4.6 million.....and I'm still not in the top 1000 :shock:

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:51 pm

Worth pointing out, for clarification, that the problems with obscurecd bullets etc don't really become a problem until you hit around level 30 in the game.
The people saying the game rocks when they're still on the easy levels are being a bit premature with their judgement IMO.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:46 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Grahame wrote:I tried the demo and didn't enjoy it too much. Probably because I prefer Super Stardust/Geometry Wars style of shooters.

It's much better than Stardust imo, one of my irks with Sony is that only some of the "Arcade" games can be downloaded as a demo.
That's poor. I'm very glad one of the certification demands for XBLA is the existence of a demo and I wish it was extended to full games too.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

mikeb

Post by mikeb » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:20 am

Try Iridis Alpha for instance. Complete tosh to start with, then after reading the instructions and half an hour of play, something just 'clicks'.
Someone should do a 'Why You must Play' on this game. I'm a huge Minter nut but I've never been able to play it properly,
so I'd like someone to point out where I'm going wrong ;)

Oh yes.. Space Giraffe is ace!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:05 am

mikeb wrote:
Try Iridis Alpha for instance. Complete tosh to start with, then after reading the instructions and half an hour of play, something just 'clicks'.
Someone should do a 'Why You must Play' on this game. I'm a huge Minter nut but I've never been able to play it properly,
Iirc Way Of The Rodent already did.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:07 am

mikeb wrote:

Oh yes.. Space Giraffe is ace!
There's loads of threads on the dedicated Space Giraffe sub-forum over at http://www.yakyak.org - the Llamasoft forum - including recommended songs to play the game to, tips & tricks, and so on.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube