Hot Topic - Starfox Games

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Best Starfox game

Starwing/Starfox
53%
Lylat Wars/Starfox 64
43%
Starfox Adventures
4%
Starfox Assault
No votes
Starfox Command
No votes

Total votes: 49

Darran@Retro Gamer

Hot Topic - Starfox Games

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:58 am

Another poll :)

thevulture

Re: Hot Topic - Starfox Games

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:12 am

Lylat wars!-Ok, took me a while to 'get' and i was annoyed i could`nt save my game, but an outstanding blaster, Perfect way to do a sequel on newer hardware and a slap in the face to anyone who thought cartridge games just could`nt hack it in the face of CD.(Pity about the name for the Euro.release though).

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:50 am

For me, the original is the best, evoking memories of the trench battle in Star Wars with its use of a team of fighters rather than just the usual solo pilot heading to his destiny... plus the Super FX technology (developed by Argonaut) was a step forward. (Most people don't know that the name change was due to an existing C64 game called Starfox in Europe, which is intriguingly a 3D shoot 'em up... and had a different name - The Rubicon Alliance - in the USA)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

thl

Post by thl » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:32 am

The original Starfox for the SNES. I never seen a shoot em' up game that was so innovative for the 16-bit era and the new polygon graphics was considered to be a big step for Nintendo. Loved the BGMs as it creates that dynamic mood within the sci-fi concept.

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:36 am

It's the original Starfox for me.
That game absolutely blew me away when I saw it being played in Comets. It took me a year to actually own a copy for myself (and a SNES), but it was worth the wait.

It's one of the few games I ever completed multiple times on the SNES, mainly to see all the different branches. I liked Lylat Wars on the N64, just not as much. Have played through much of the internet ROM Starfox 2 game and still see it as a tragedy it was never released.

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:20 am

of course it's gonna be the Original Starfox, mind-blowing 3d graphics, putting megadrive users to tears :), was amazed when FX engine came out..I knew it was the future of console 3d gaming
Last edited by Greyfox on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
↓↓Click Link to See More
http://www.greyfoxbooks.com

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:39 am

Greyfox wrote:of course it's gonna be the Original Starfox, mind-blowing 3d graphics, putting megadrive users to tears :), was amazed when FX engine..I knew it was the future of console 3d gaming
As a MD owner at the time...I did`nt need to see Starfox on Snes to be reduced to tears..Having paid £270 for the MCD and seen what sega were serving up had me blubbing like a child.LOL

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:38 am

Starfox64 all the way here, it took what was great about the original and just added to it ten fold. More variety in levels, more vehicles, better boss battles, and the awe inspiring ID4 like Katina level...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:11 pm

It was a close call between the original one and Starfox 64. In the end I voted the N64 game, which IMHO duplicates the experience of the first chapter, enhancing the aesthetics to the Nth power (pun intended :D ).

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:14 pm

The original Starfox on the snes, the N64 version was awful.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:45 pm

Mayhem wrote:Starfox64 all the way here, it took what was great about the original and just added to it ten fold. More variety in levels, more vehicles, better boss battles, and the awe inspiring ID4 like Katina level...
You've pretty much written exactly what I was going to, right down to the Independence Day reference - a brilliant level. Far, far better than the original, which, while good, may just be evoking rose-tintedness here, I think.
Denny Haynes wrote:The original Starfox on the snes, the N64 version was awful.
Wait, what? In what respect? LW to me is almost a remake, and one with better graphics, sound, structure, levels, controls etc. I can see why a lot of people prefer the first, but to say it's awful is... well, wrong.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:57 pm

I know I won't be poular for saying it, but Starfox Adventures for me as it was the only one to really build on the characters and deliver a story led experience.

HEAVYface

Post by HEAVYface » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:55 pm

star fox 64/ lylat wars every day of the week.

bought it on release day - came with the rumble pack, the first time i felt it rythmically throbbing in my hands when the first stage 1 boss appeared from behind you i'll never forget. that sentence has, i assure you, unintentional innuendo.

was the first rumble pack i'd experienced (or was released if memory serves) awesome:) the water level, fire and tank levels are still awesome to this day.

bought the snes original on release day too. hasn't stood the test of time, but back in the day was a good blast.

star blade was doing the rounds down the local arcade and outshone it slightly...

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:32 pm

SirClive wrote:I know I won't be poular for saying it, but Starfox Adventures for me as it was the only one to really build on the characters and deliver a story led experience.
I'd have enjoyed it more if they'd expanded the flight sections, they were the bee's testicles (as you would/should expect). The on foot bits weren't bad, but it felt like a poor man's Zelda to me.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:34 pm

Smurph wrote:felt like a poor man's Zelda to me.
Maybe that is why I liked it. It was Zelda wih more likeable characters.