SOR2 - Best stage

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Stuart@retrogamer

SOR2 - Best stage

Post by Stuart@retrogamer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:23 pm

What is your favourite level in the game and why?

thevulture

Re: SOR2 - Best stage

Post by thevulture » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:19 pm

The Bar:captured the seedy-esq Tavern feel spot on, you went in smashing the place up, under the glare of over head lights, as well as the usual 1/2 cut thugs that were set apon you, out came lasses with whips-(You don`t get that on young farmers do`s round here :wink: ).Bartender trying to get the hell outta dodge, by running away till his back up crew arrived, just brilliant feel to it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:30 pm

thevulture wrote:The Bar:captured the seedy-esq Tavern feel spot on, you went in smashing the place up, under the glare of over head lights, as well as the usual 1/2 cut thugs that were set apon you, out came lasses with whips-(You don`t get that on young farmers do`s round here :wink: ).Bartender trying to get the hell outta dodge, by running away till his back up crew arrived, just brilliant feel to it.
Totally agree. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrohogg

Post by retrohogg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:18 pm

stage 5 -the boat, the claustrophobic feeling brawling through the cramped belly of the boat working your way to the deck only to be greeted by the night and an onslaught of jet's, culminating in R Bear the navy boxer at the end. all played out with a seasick inducing up and down up and down up and down.......
If it's a miracle Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry, point 4-5 caliber miracle.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:58 pm

I like the baseball park level as it has some marvellous music, an epic elevator bash and the cage match finale.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:59 pm

Stage 4 with the first lift set piece and the baseball ground. Would've loved for some Baseball Furies clones but that's the only downside for me made up for with the Ultimate Warrior cage finish.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:23 pm

It's a toss-up between the very first stage (excellent music and brilliant atmosphere) or the baseball stadium, in particular the fat guy who you beat up before the elevator.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm

I really like the sort of theme park/Alien style level, with all the mist, and that wierd 'long necked' beast that looks straight out of a H R Giger sketchbook

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:11 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:I really like the sort of theme park/Alien style level, with all the mist, and that wierd 'long necked' beast that looks straight out of a H R Giger sketchbook
"Vehelis" iirc
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:57 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:I really like the sort of theme park/Alien style level, with all the mist, and that wierd 'long necked' beast that looks straight out of a H R Giger sketchbook
I didn't get that bit, the way it went from pirates to Alien set didn't make sense to me. If they'd themed a whole stage around it...

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:07 am

Stage 1 and stage 5 are my favourites but that is mostly down to the music, the visuals and stage design are great too. The 1st stage really got you in the mood for the game with ne of the best pieces of music you will ever hear in a beat'em up.
But I'll go with the first stage for reasons already stated like the tavern.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:18 am

lanky316 wrote:
I didn't get that bit, the way it went from pirates to Alien set didn't make sense to me. If they'd themed a whole stage around it...
If I remember rightly, wasn't it like a funhouse type of area? That would explain the difference in areas. The first bit has some arcade machines too I think (with Bare Knuckle on the side :) ) which would fit in with the whole funhouse/theme park type idea.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 pm

Most definately the first stage, but i also like snippets from some other stages. I like the scrolling effect from the third part of stage 1 (i think), i also liked the cage fight boss scene and the rain effect used in another level.

Although i think a lot of the stages were quite fanatasy based which was ok, i would have liked to see more like stage 1.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:59 pm

lanky316 wrote:
I totally agree, back in the day when I first played it, I hated (and I mean HATED) how 'outofplace' that whole section was, and I disliked the sort of 'Blanka' ripoff you fight, but as time has gone on It sort of sticks out so much, and the music is so tight on it, it's become a favourite...go figure

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:13 pm

Stage 2 the Bridge. Bikers flying in and oustide of you, great musice a truck scene, some extra lives :wink: thrown in. An incomplete bridge and then a grossly unfair boss on anything over normal difficulty. What is there not to love?

Failing that its the moving Pirate ship/ Fairground level.
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769