The Star Wars thread

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: The Star Wars thread

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm

Lucas is no better, he was also just making it up as he went along, which is the biggest problem with the new films. There was no overarching plot worked out for the 3 new movies, TLJ was off the cuff with little regard to what had come before or was to follow, there was no endgame to work to.

And just like Palpatine, Lucas brought back Darth Maul after not only falling down a big shaft, but right after being cut in half.

And, yes, there's some Snoke explanation in TROS, which also goes towards explaining Palpatine's return, though the movie skims over what is given more detail in the novelisations.

I'd still rate Disney's The Force Awakens higher than any of Lucas' prequel trilogy, and they did give us Rogue One and The Mandalorian.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattySlug

Post by MattySlug » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 pm

Yesterday instead of Buying Megaman 11 on the xbox one I bought 2 Boxed Figures of Rogue One Edition's Darth Vader!
Bloody Star Wars and the Bargains!!!

I better open one of them! 8)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:59 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:33 pm
I'd still rate Disney's The Force Awakens higher than any of Lucas' prequel trilogy, and they did give us Rogue One and The Mandalorian.
Also Solo

Ive never actually seen the prequel films or Mandalorian or all the rest of the Star wars stuff out side of the films

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:13 am

This surprises me considering the amount of anime you watch. You should watch The Clone Wars, starting with the movie. It starts off a bit censored, with some good bits, but overall grows into something good. You'll hate Ahsoka to begin with, then by the end she's one of the best SW characters ever. That we also get Asajj Ventress, Cad Bane etc is all bonus, they can be real scene stealers when they arrive.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:24 pm

TBH Star wars never fully clicked with me, im more Trek than Wars. Even with trek im starting to tire with the whole several series at once thing

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:44 am

I watched Rise of Skywalker and my god it’s awful and Abrams can’t make films. They went the Dark Empire route Palpatine spirit awakened and recuperated in the body of a clone. And now a metal claw keeps him alive no explanation that clone bodies age faster as they can’t contain his vast power. A conjoined Snoke in a tube the ROS novel says Snoke is a failed Palpatine clone.

Also the camera lingers on a statue wearing Darth Nihulus Mask(technically his soul is inside his mask) so he’s now Canon. Disney has since confirmed Nilulus and Revan are now canon.

Knights of Ren New order trooper says “Cool” dig at the fans there JJ. That crappy creature that was on there for about a minute (it reprogrammed C3PO)Disney say its more popular then Baby Yoda/The Child. You get my point

Red eyed C3PO blink and you’re miss it

I absolutely loved Mandalorian was excited for each episode Disney can do good Star Wars. The new Clone Wars with that defected Clone clean up Squad is also amazing. I just wanted ROS to end so I could watch Clone WArs.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 am

Also bought Darth Vader Blood Ties 1 & 2 comics. Which takes place after Vader meeting with Luke on Cloud City. Was blown away by this with Vader returning to his mothers Grave on Tatooine. She’s buried under the house that Luke lived and Vader stops his droid from razing her grave citing “Haven’t you taken enough from me”. As the droid mention a village of Sand People where all killed after Shimi’s death
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:25 am

ROS I just found overwhelming. Everything was thrown at the screen and it almost seemed like it was made on the fly to appease upset fans. I couldn't make head nor tail of it.

I will buy the DVD, and reassess. I liked TLJ, despite how it upset many. Rogue One and ESB are the favourites for me

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:36 am

I do like the Marvel comics, just expands on a fair bit of the films and makes me enjoy them more.

I didnt mind Rise of Skywalker at all, bit hectic at the start but watched it a few times since and enjoyed it more. As kiwimike says Last Jedi i didnt mind, Luke becoming a grumpy old hermit i could understand. But i do wish the directors worked together more, i liked the thought of the Knights of Ren in Force Awakens, then not a mention of them in LJ but finally lots of footage of them in ROS. Its like the directors were trying to wind each other up or something.

But to me theyre entertaining to watch, not the type to analyse every few seconds or that, enjoyed watching it at the cinema a few times. Love the hype before hand but youre never gonna please everyone

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:22 pm

at the time after leaving the cinema i said this would be better on more viewings, and i was RIGHT
it Is better when you get sued to it, and you know what, it is VERY enjoyable
still would like it to be in two parts because the huge reveal is pretty subtle and the overall scope was far too big for even this running time

the more you see it
the more you understand it
and the more you DON'T have to go into it's details

also if you get the chance to watch it thru VLC, crop it top and bottom by 75 .....

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:36 am
I do like the Marvel comics, just expands on a fair bit of the films and makes me enjoy them more.

I didnt mind Rise of Skywalker at all, bit hectic at the start but watched it a few times since and enjoyed it more. As kiwimike says Last Jedi i didnt mind, Luke becoming a grumpy old hermit i could understand. But i do wish the directors worked together more, i liked the thought of the Knights of Ren in Force Awakens, then not a mention of them in LJ but finally lots of footage of them in ROS. Its like the directors were trying to wind each other up or something.

But to me theyre entertaining to watch, not the type to analyse every few seconds or that, enjoyed watching it at the cinema a few times. Love the hype before hand but youre never gonna please everyone
Yeah, agreed. They aren't complex plots, simply fairy tales in space with Wizards, evil villains, princesses and magic. In that regard I don't like overthinking them, just enjoy them for what they are. I have enjoyed all of them to some degree, and I'm sure when I see ROS a little more I will enjoy it more, with a chance to take it all in.

While I am overthinking it though- ha ha ha- What I would have LOVED to have seen towards the end- hope spoiler alert isn't needed- for the final battle- would have been a massive lightsaber duel with force ghosts of Jedis and siths...coming in for the final defeat of evil. I thought that would have looked awesome! :)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:47 pm

Have you watched the mandalorian yet ?

Thought that was excellent

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:21 pm

I just can't get into that. I've watched Episode 1... does he really go through the whole series with that frigging helmet on? I'll watch all of it though as I'm a massive Star Wars fan, just hope it gets better!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:41 am

It's a grower, stick with it. It has the odd stupid bit ('the egg' is hateful), but overall very good.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:07 am

Don’t mind the helmet at all. That’s what mandolorians do. Wear that helmet. Bit like saying jawas are annoying as they don’t take off their brown outfit

Glad they’ve kept to rules like that for consistency