ps2 collecting

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MatOfTheDead

Re: ps2 collecting

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:40 pm

Megamixer wrote:
MatOfTheDead wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Update: it doesn't work so I guess I can 100% write off my machine's ability to read the CD games now. Luckily I have just enough room to fit a cheap slimline PS2 beneath my TV so I may pick one up that I can just use for the blue discs. Wouldn't have bothered going to such extremes but a) I don't fancy mucking about with the innards of my 'TEST' PS2 and b) I've noticed that I have a few NIS RPG's that came on blue discs so I will want to play those eventually.
might be worth looking into FreeMcBoot and OpenPs2loader you could then use a USB Hard drive and install the disc based games on your pc
What's the latest and most simple method then? I've seen some decent videos doing it the way of using an IDE hard drive and the network adaptor...have things gotten easier since?
dont need a network adapter anymore just a way to install FreeMcBoot but you can modify a memory card to work on any ps2 once installed

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:06 am

You still need he network adaptor to play games off the HDD

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:17 am

I'll be having a look into in then. I did have a modified memory card once but it didn't do anything and I also couldn't re-format it to use a regular card. It was bolloxed in short and ended up going in the bin.

Is there a max size for HDD's or a maximum that I would need? Also, do games still save to memory cards or the HDD? Sorry for the newbie questions but I just want to check beforehand.

Had a look through my collection and there's loads of stuff on CD's such as Phantom Brave, Disagea, Makai Kingdom, Rez and La Pucelle Tactics so I'll definitely need to pursue this HDD method.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:03 am

Not sure about a maximum size, but I think the limiting factor is the network adaptor is IDE only. That's the older interface HDDs used before SATA came along. Don't buy a SATA drive by mistake!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:08 am

theantmeister wrote:Not sure about a maximum size, but I think the limiting factor is the network adaptor is IDE only. That's the older interface HDDs used before SATA came along. Don't buy a SATA drive by mistake!
Haha, no I noticed that. Been looking at some guides but it all sounds like gibberish to me as if I should already know what I'm doing or what they're talking about. Bit thick when it comes to these kinds of mod jobs unfortunately :oops:

The hardware part I'm fine with, it's just all the different stuff you have to do with the HDD when it's connected to the PC. Also, I don't even know if you can add more roms to the drive down the line once you've already finished setting it up? All a bit confusing for me sadly.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:46 am

Megamixer wrote:The hardware part I'm fine with, it's just all the different stuff you have to do with the HDD when it's connected to the PC. Also, I don't even know if you can add more roms to the drive down the line once you've already finished setting it up? All a bit confusing for me sadly.
Yeah, I know how you feel. When I did mine, I ended up with the wrong version of the Action Replay or something so I couldn't transfer FreeMcboot. I got it working in the end, but it was a massive faff.

I use HDLoader on the PS2 to rip games to the hard drive, no PC involved. Although I guess I'm lucky my PS2's disk drive still works (for now).

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Ended up buying a silver slimline PS2 for the CD games. Pretty beat-up exterior but it was only £15 and it does the job. I can share the RGB lead from my other PS2 anyway.

Moving on, added a few import fighters to the collection :)

Working my way through the Guilty Gear series but I only plan on buying the best version of each (rather than messing about with the ridiculous number of revisions/updates) so I went for this Japanese copy of X Plus.

Capcom VS SNK 2 was purchased because it's better than the PAL port (and it's a brill excuse to play it again!)

Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection is something I really should have bought a long time ago given how the series is one of my favourites :oops: . I did once own every single game with all the regional variants (a collection long ago sold) but this was the one I didn't get hold of first time around. Glad to have put it right at last!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:03 pm

^^ It is definitely a collection worth owning. Great value set much like the the Alpha Anthology.

Some great gets there. I love Capcom vs SNK 2 :D

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:21 pm

I have been collecting Japanese PS2 games latley as well. loads of good stuff to pick up.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:24 pm

I've got a fair few other things on my list but I have other machines I want to buy for and some stuff for my car I'm after so I might not be adding much more yet. Still, got these to be getting on with plus some others that I haven't gotten around to playing yet (Hokuto No Ken, Arcana Heart etc.).

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Busy sorting out my PS2 games. I posted this a while back but on-one seemed to know much about it.

I have a triple pack consisting of air raid 2, metal slug anthology, and KOF XI

Air raid and Metal slug are still factory sealed and all 3 come in a outer cardboard slipcase.

Anyone know how much this is going for as I can't find it anywhere.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Busy sorting out my PS2 games. I posted this a while back but on-one seemed to know much about it.

Air raid and Metal slug are still factory sealed and all 3 come in a outer cardboard slipcase.

I can honestly say that I've never heard of this...perhaps posting a photo on Retro Collect might help? Can't even see a copy of Air Raid 2 on it's own on ebay (it's all Air Raid 3). I'd be curious to see it myself anyway!

I'm still after a few things for the PAL PS2 but finding some of them is pretty tricky; that or they are overpriced online. Still after:

Fire Heroes
KOF Maximum Impact 2
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
Neo Contra
Contra Shattered Soldier
Bard's Tale

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Busy sorting out my PS2 games. I posted this a while back but on-one seemed to know much about it.

I can honestly say that I've never heard of this...perhaps posting a photo on Retro Collect might help? Can't even see a copy of Air Raid 2 on it's own on ebay (it's all Air Raid 3). I'd be curious to see it myself anyway!

I'm still after a few things for the PAL PS2 but finding some of them is pretty tricky; that or they are overpriced online. Still after:

Fire Heroes
KOF Maximum Impact 2
Stella Deus: The Gate of Eternity
Neo Contra
Contra Shattered Soldier
Bard's Tale
sorry it should be air raid 3

Posted it a while back and no-one on there was sure either.

will post some pics tomorrow.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:29 pm

Just a heads up that this ebay seller has a fair few of the PS2 SNK games listed up for £14.99 each in brand-new, sealed condition. Some of the more desirable ones are priced up considerably higher but the likes of World Heroes Anthology, Fatal Fury Battle Archives and even KOF Maximum Impact 2 are £14.99 inc. P&P and you can make offers too.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/3333jaw/m.htm ... 7675.l2562

About to bit the bullet on Maximum Impact 2 as it isn't overly common and used copies are often priced up much higher than fifteen quid.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:04 pm

So I went for it and this beauty turned up today:

The only downside is that the packaging is French (this was detailed on the ebay listing) but the game is in English language and features 60Hz. Not too bothered about foreign box/manual if it means getting this one sealed for £14.99 inc. P&P :)

The seal is naturally already in the bin however :) . Annoyingly, the memory card slot on my machine is playing up so I can't access my fully-cleared save file from last time! Will get that sorted next. EDIT: Above problem fixed with a bit of cleaning alcohol.