Paper Boy - First impressions

This is a new sub-forum that will feature all posts relevant for each monthly game readers will be participating in.

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Darran@Retro Gamer

Paper Boy - First impressions

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:50 pm

Sorry about the delay, been a bit busy.

MattyC64c

Re: Paper Boy - First impressions

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:31 pm

First impression, wow! This is bloody hard. The fact you have to target the correct houses, and avoid the obsticals located both on the footpath and the road at the same time! Still, the graphics were good for the time, and the gameplay is fun.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Diagonal scrolling - that's what I first reme,ber from back in the day - it just seemed odd to me to scroll at an angle....

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:46 pm

It was always a little hard to handle, but Paper Boy is as loveable as it is addictive and difficult…but I’m going to say that as I think this is one of the greatest, most original titles ever, it almost makes you want to become a paper boy (but not quite)

thl

Post by thl » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 pm

It felt like I'm re-playing the SMS version of Enduro Racer, but this time riding on the bicycle stacked with papers ready to throw on the street. The gameplay was potentially entertaining that it offered the pleasure to show what's it like to be in that role. Didn't expect the road to become a series of obstacle which prove to be very challenging.

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:29 pm

My first dose of Paperboy was on an Arcade compilation for the Playstation. It was completly different from the other games on the compilation. While the other games involve shooting stuff, this game involved you throwing...I mean...delivering papers. Paperboy is one of the game, I really want to find it in an arcade, that Bikehandle controller looks alot of fun.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:31 pm

PacSuit wrote:My first dose of Paperboy was on an Arcade compilation for the Playstation. It was completly different from the other games on the compilation. While the other games involve shooting stuff, this game involved you throwing...I mean...delivering papers. Paperboy is one of the game, I really want to find it in an arcade, that Bikehandle controller looks alot of fun.
Is that Midway classics?

PacSuit

Post by PacSuit » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:12 pm

Sepp Salerno wrote:
PacSuit wrote:My first dose of Paperboy was on an Arcade compilation for the Playstation. It was completly different from the other games on the compilation. While the other games involve shooting stuff, this game involved you throwing...I mean...delivering papers. Paperboy is one of the game, I really want to find it in an arcade, that Bikehandle controller looks alot of fun.
Is that Midway classics?
It was The Atari Collection 2. It also contained Crystal Castles and Gauntlet.

Denny Haynes

Post by Denny Haynes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:42 pm

At the time the graphics really stood out and the gameplay seemed totally different to what i'd played before.
I,m gonna live forever or die trying!

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:12 pm

To be honest my first impression was that it was crap. My mates brother was playing it and I thought it looked boring as hell. But when I had a go I realised it was a lot more playable that I first thought.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:20 pm

I just remember the handlebars. Somehow they were way more enticing than the handlebars on my bike (which I could ride for free).
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:27 pm

PacSuit wrote:
Sepp Salerno wrote:
Is that Midway classics?
It was The Atari Collection 2. It also contained Crystal Castles and Gauntlet.
I've been using Midway Arcade Treasures on the PS2 for my fix.

Sir Arthur

Post by Sir Arthur » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 am

I remember walking in to an Arcade in Blackpool and seeing the machine for the first time and being blown away.

I loved getting up to full speed and slamming on the breaks so the back wheel would lock up and skid and you know the only reason you peddled up that street was because you knew the assault course was at the end of it. The music and Graphics where ace and who else remembers watching First Class on a Saturday tea time for a bit of Paper Boy action??

Brilliant.
Sir Arthur

" Thank the Lord I packed my underpants "

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 pm

My first impression was being totally lost: am I supposed to deliver papers or break as many things as possible with the papers?... But in my defense, I first played it at 7, and didn't know any English... They could have called it "Armageddon", my understanding of the game would have been the same! :lol:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

NonSequitur

Post by NonSequitur » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:24 am

I remember renting the NES version of Paper Boy a few times when I was very young. It may have been a long time ago, but due to the simple, distinctive gameplay, design and concept, I never forgot about it. I think the charm it held for me was that the core idea of the game was completely mundane and based in the real world, rather than the usual fantasy platforming and sci-fi shooter fare of the NES that I was accustomed to in my early gaming years. That's what kept me coming back to it, despite the frustration caused by the admittedly bad controls offered by the NES conversion.