Definitive Amiga arcade conversions.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

merman

Re: Definitive Amiga arcade conversions.

Post by merman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:00 am

resident paul wrote:I don't know which way round what converted to what is Marble Madness.
Arcade first, then Amiga (with an extra level)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:06 am

storm_maker wrote: A very interesting read, though I realy don't agree that the Amiga version of Rodland plays better than the arcade :?
Well, it doesnt slow down as much, so thats definitely in its favour. The arcade version has Gradius levels of slowdown, unless its my MAME playing up, of course. The Amiga version does have a status panel rather than being full screen, but is otherwise bang-on. I think the sounds a bit nicer on the Amiga version as well.
Katzkatz wrote:I think you have mentioned all the good ones, except Gauntlet II
A good game, but its a bit grainy and jerky. Definitely a quick and nasty ST port. Bubble Bobble is quite disappointing on the Amiga I think.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:20 am

I'd say that - with the help of Stu's definitive - all things considered , with the quality of the arcade original , the closeness of the conversion , and the playability of the Amiga version Planet Of The Robot Monsters is imho the best arcade conversion for the machine.

Btw Stu , how would you have ranked SSFT2 Turbo in your feature? (I assume it was released after the definitive was written). Personally I thought it looked ok when frozen , but the controls and animation were pretty poor.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:34 am

I'd say the amiga version of Space Harrier was head and shoulders above the other computer versions. To do better you need dedicated console hardware.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:32 pm

I thought Sly Spy Secret Agent / Shadow Warriors and Midnight Resistance were faithful arcade conversions.

Good work Ocean!!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 pm

Doddsy wrote:I thought Sly Spy Secret Agent / Shadow Warriors and Midnight Resistance were faithful arcade conversions.

Good work Ocean!!

In many ways it was BETTER than arcade MR , as it did away with that stupid octagonal-rotation fire control system
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Greyfox

Post by Greyfox » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:43 pm

for me..I thought PANG was fantastically converted to the amiga, even the music was near spot on too...as was New Zealand Story...they don't make'em like they used too...but all the above mentioned titles was brilliant too..now I'm off to play them again..cheers guys..;)
↓↓Click Banners to See More↓↓
ImageImage

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:09 pm

Although the scrollings a tad lethargic, I think the Amiga New Zealand Story is nicer than the MD or PCE versions, which in the case of the latter definitely needed a larger Hucard to do it justice. Too many cut animations.

Benway68

Post by Benway68 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:38 pm

I'd have to go with the Domark conversion of the Atari Star Wars arcade game.
My website, detailing my collection and other retro gaming related stuff.
http://www.retrogamingcollector.com

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 am

The conversion of The Empire Strikes Back is good as well. It is mentioned in Stuart's article in Amiga Power. The mouse control is great!

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:52 am

AlleyKat wrote:The Amiga version does have a status panel rather than being full screen, but is otherwise bang-on. I think the sounds a bit nicer on the Amiga version as well.
It's good but it's not that good, I can think of two problems off the top of my head.

You can't kill enemies by slamming them into each other
The enemies disengage off of edges all the time

Also I never noticed that much slowdown in the original, maybe a little but certainly not excessive

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

Massive Kersal

Post by Massive Kersal » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:20 am

Rodland is a great conversion.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:47 am

storm_maker wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:The Amiga version does have a status panel rather than being full screen, but is otherwise bang-on. I think the sounds a bit nicer on the Amiga version as well.
It's good but it's not that good, I can think of two problems off the top of my head.

You can't kill enemies by slamming them into each other
The enemies disengage off of edges all the time

Also I never noticed that much slowdown in the original, maybe a little but certainly not excessive
The mechanics were tweaked for the Amiga version, as Stu mentioned in the linked article. It would be too obvious a thing for the developers to have missed, given how much effort was clearly made. Its not completly arcade perfect, but still of a high enough quality to be relevent for this discussion. :wink:

Arcade Rodland has pretty bad slowdown for the type of game it is- once you get a way into it (after the second boss) some of the slowdown makes it seem like you're playing underwater at times. Although that might be down to my MAME, as I say.

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Aside from the others metioned I always thought Super Hang-On and Pacmania were pretty cool conversions.

Oh, and is it just me, or is the Amiga version of Rainbow Islands much more difficult than its arcade parent? For instance, the dracula boss at the end of the third island; on the arcade version I can virtually beat it in my sleep, but on the Amiga version it seems to be near-impossible to defeat.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:26 pm

AlleyKat wrote:The mechanics were tweaked for the Amiga version, as Stu mentioned in the linked article. It would be too obvious a thing for the developers to have missed, given how much effort was clearly made. Its not completly arcade perfect, but still of a high enough quality to be relevent for this discussion. :wink:
Yes I totally agree with the fact that it's an amazing arcade conversion, just not that it's better than the arcade version.

Hitting enemies into each other is a major aspect of the gameplay, in fact this feature was most likely the actual whole point of the swinging-enemies-to-defeat-them gameplay in the first place, there would be no reason to swing enemies back and forth like that without the impact kills.

Enemies falling off the edges is not a tweak, it's just irritating, I miss not being able to grab enemies as they drop.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over