Speedball II

Got a high score accomplishment or speedrun to boast about? Share it here!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Wickywacky

Speedball II

Post by Wickywacky » Fri May 26, 2006 2:45 pm

There's many games I loved, but only one that I truly mastered...

I suppose others have done better. Then again I proud enough of my score to post it.

Highest score in one match

Brutal Deluxe 1244 Revolver 0

Score was achieved without trainers / cheats.

Just good ole fashioned skill and exploitation of 2 system weaknesseses:

1 set up

A cup match where I deliberately tied 9 consecutive matches to Revolver :oops: to upgrade my team to a maximum (scoring own goals to make up for the casualties I inflicted) to set them up for the all out massacre to come :twisted:

2 the kill (this works on PC version, not on Amiga haven't tried any other systems.

Set up score multiplier to maximum (of course)
Get the ball electrified or hot (whatever you call it, the ball can no longer be intercepted).
Go and stand on the filed where it says 75 (75yard line).
Face back
Throw the ball "curved" into warpgate with a player who has over 150 in throwing skill
Ball comes out of warpgate at the other side, dragging against the other wall, igniting all the starts (+bonus), it doesn't go in the multiplier (because it is too close to the wall), instead it goes back dragging itself along the stars (+bonus). This 80 points in 5 seconds

Repeat this as much as your nerves can stand in 180 seconds. Curse when another player of his dies, interrupting your points streak, your flow and the ignition of an electrified ball.

Of course Amiga version looks better, PC's analog control aq op -spacebar- is unsurpassed!
All night, all day on the funk
All day, all night on the funk

C4

Post by C4 » Fri May 26, 2006 6:21 pm

I must insist on proof or else its the JIMMY CHIN CORNER for you!

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Fri May 26, 2006 7:34 pm

Damn, I thought I was good at that game. Only played concole versions though.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Wickywacky

Re:

Post by Wickywacky » Sat May 27, 2006 11:39 am

C4 wrote:I must insist on proof or else its the JIMMY CHIN CORNER for you!
I set this record when my mom kept me a week from school because of my nasty flu like 15 years ago... used to have fever induced dreams of speedball all night long for a week

But your on, don't want to be called a liar, not on a memory that I am so fond of, in the meanwhile, point me to a free screencapturer or other means proof you seek, compatible with WinNT in a dosshell.

BTW is there something like screencapterer but instead of one shot it tapes the whole match (reason is a game is only 180 seconds and I don't remember if at the end of the match the score is reflected correctly, it might just say 244 -0 if you go 1244 - there is only 3 digits at the bottom)

I just moved from Belgium to Lisbon from work. It ill be a couple of months before I have access to my PC, and it ill be another three weeks of practice before I can set my record again I guess. I ll come back on this gloriously no doubt - end of August.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:50 pm

Almost time!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Nightbreed

Post by Nightbreed » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:42 pm

Yep. The Jimmy Chin corner beckons. :lol:
Bring back Thingy and Rockford!!! Zzap 64 liberation front!!! :):):)

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:31 pm

Thats nothing, I scored a hundred gagillion bagillion to zero.

Use exploit number 3.

Whilst the rest of the team keep revolver busy, take the player with a techy rating of greater than 200 to go and rewire the scoreboard to read a hundred gagillion bagillion then quickly grab an icecream from the seller and get back into the game.
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Wickywacky

Re: Speedball II

Post by Wickywacky » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Revival of a dead thread...

I had a couple of problems with it, I couldnt figure out how to do a video capture, so I gave up the dream of demonstrating my awesomeness. Video capture has been made real easy in dosbox I found out tonight. Still a long way from my original 1200+ claim but 540 points in a single match isnt too bad, and you can see there is a lot of room for improvement with the time im losing, so you can at least admit to the possibility that a 1000+ score is theoretically possible

Please note no trainers or cheats where used. I did however deliberately manage a draw for 5 times in cup in order to beef up the team with 4 starplayers.

Last weekend I played 600-0 in a league match vs mean machine using the same trick... I ll post again if/when I manage to screen capture single match > 1000-0

The problem is the savegames corrupt. So I have to start a fresh every time making it a tad bit boring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA6DuP6yMBo