Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Doddsy

Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

Post by Doddsy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:07 pm

Reading in Q Mag this month, its 15 Years this week since the death of Mr Cobain and 20 years since Nirvana's Bleach was released.

I always liked the music of Nirvana since a mate of mine played Bleach to me. The sound was different at the time and Kurts singing and album production was distinctive and fresh from the Stock Aiken and Waterman chart style music at the time. Having read a fare few bios on the band and more specifically Kurt Cobain, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. He seemed to be an individual who wanted to do his own thing, try different things creatively and didn't like being pressured. I think having promoters tell him to tour, make an album, attend interviews etc, when he didn't want to because the music he loved so much was now becoming a job, made him feel trapped and unlike his Janitor job he was now just to big walk away from it all. So there was only one way out which being close friends with Mr Brownstone eventually led to his downfall.

It would have been interesting to see which direction musically the band would have gone after In Utero. I think they would have added more members although it still would have been the Kurt Cobain Show but I think ultimately they would have split up toward the end of the 90's.

What are your thoughts on this band and of Kurt Cobain?

Fred83

Re: Kurt Cobain And Nirvana

Post by Fred83 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Troubled man.But good songs,he spoke for a generation of depressed youths.I remember bbc did a brilliant program about his last 48 hours of his life.Also think its mad,that kids who weren't even around when he died are wearing hoddies of him.The song by the band soundgarden "blackhole sun" captured the mood of the year 1994 itself.

Cobain he didn't get on with axl rose.Ironic enough one of the members of guns n roses duff mckagan sat with him on a flight was amongst the last people to see him.Cobain also always complained of stomach pains which was never diagnosed even in death.I am also sick to death of all these conspiracies about his death,in the end the man is dead,i coundnt give a f#ck about who killed him or did he kill himself.
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:31 pm

I agree with your comments Fred83. I find it amusing that if anyone says a bad word about Kurt Cobain- especially on say YouTube, some teenybopper pyscho spams you! At the end of the day, the guy wrote some great songs and was one of the last known great entertainers that happened to be in the right place at the right time with his style and music and much like Jim Morrison, Freddy Mercury, that guy from ACDC, Elvis, dying young is always an everlasting career move in the world of Rock. He isn't the first and he wont be the last for a generation.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:48 pm

I love Nirvana, they have some fantastic music. I don't really care much for Kurt Cobain though seeing as he died when I was 7 years old and I wasn't into decent music then ;)

Seadog74

Post by Seadog74 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Interesting topic. Nirvana were a great band along with the likes of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Mudhoney. Grunge as it was became popular. I do wonder what later albums could have sounded like. The early to mid nineties were a great time for this sort of music and for me. Today's bands just seem to lack that bit of talent we saw back then, maybe it's old age.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:30 pm

Seadog74 wrote: Today's bands just seem to lack that bit of talent we saw back then, maybe it's old age.
It's not the bands that lack that bit of talent, its the way the music industry has become these days. There is no room for indie bands to grow. All the indie labels have been sold to the big boys now. If a debue artist album flops then they arn't likely to get that second chance. Thats why Pop Idol has become such a mainstream within todays music. Instant music with a ready made audience.

Sure we have myspace but hein lies the problem, we live in a pollution of sound and they get swamped with everyone else. With no big budget marketing promos for most bands they get pushed back towards "the end of the tail" only to causing a buzz within their local scene. Nirvana were lucky that they got on the SUBPOP label and they had the faith in them to become a success because from what I've read about their early gigs, when they were good they were very very good but when they were bad....

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:48 pm

i always say this,i think xfactor contributed to the death of good music

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:06 pm

Couldn't agree more Fred83.

Simon Cowell is in fact the Darth Vader equivilant of modern music. The Emperor of course is Pete Waterman :twisted: which Simon learned his trade at Fanfare records during the mid 80's producing the likes of Sinitta. It was during these clone war darktimes that SAW came and dominated the music charts. Yes, Fred83..it is Simon Cowell that is your father!! :o :lol:

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Rinoa wrote:I love Nirvana, they have some fantastic music. I don't really care much for Kurt Cobain though seeing as he died when I was 7 years old and I wasn't into decent music then ;)
you know how to make a bloke feel old :lol: , i was 20 at the time :lol:

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Over rated. Nevermind was a good enough album, but its just another pop/rock star believing their own hype.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Cant believe he was only 27-Christ he looked a lot older that that.
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

planetmatt

Post by planetmatt » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:22 am

Nirvana = Meh

Kurt Cobain = Emo king censored who had it all and flushed his life down the toilet with the help of a shotgun. Not someone to be admired.
"1984 was not intended to be a guide"
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings"

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:25 am

I could never see the attraction of Nirvana. I always though they were way overated and the likes of Soundgarden and Pearl Jam were far better bands. I've bought Nevermind twice. First when Nirvana hit the big time (and promply swaped for Fear Factory's first album) and again a few years ago to give it another chance as everyone raves about it(Gathering dust in my attic)

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:05 am

I'm a huge fan of Nirvana, must admit i wasnt the first time they arrived, saw too many dweeby kids suddenly try and act cool.

Suddenly i gave the album another chance (Nevermind) and thought it was exceptional. So many great tracks on it, bought the album before and after and on both albums theres a lot of classic songs. Aneryssm (sp) is my favourite, rape me is also a superb song (Granted not the type you might sing in the car when your wife/mother in laws there).

Very sad what happened, back in the early days of the 90's when there was so much crap around (Stock,Aiken and waterman etc) Nirvana were a great band.

miner2049er

Post by miner2049er » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:44 am

Let's revive a post from over 2 years ago. ;)
SirClive wrote:Over rated.
Opinion. Fair enough.
SirClive wrote:Nevermind was a good enough album, but its just another pop/rock star believing their own hype.
It isn't. He hated the sound of the Nevermind album and would often refuse to play Teen Spirit at concerts, even playing the opening bars to annoy the audience then not playing the song.

To get away from the things he hated about Nevermind he recorded In Utero with toned down production and which includes a song written about his dislike for Teen Spirit called Radio friendly Unit Shifter.

In Utero is the closest thing you'll get to how Kurt wanted the band to sound.
http://www.jamesonline.net
Now I just need an amusing tag line.