What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

ALK

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by ALK » Wed May 16, 2018 5:10 pm

psj3809 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 pm
Feel free to buy the latest Barbie game then and let me know if its any good !

Nah i'm disagreeing here ! Full grown adults watching Little Mermaid without kids ? Nah ! So many other films/tv shows to watch !

Granted perhaps i'm wrong and my circle of friends must be different but i would never watch Moana by myself at all. I'm happy as anything that Disney have made a massive massive comeback with a lot of great films but i'm not the target audience for the likes of Moana or Little Mermaid. Never had one work colleague in all these years saying 'you know what film you should watch - Little Mermaid, its superb....'
If its part of your nostalgia or related to it like recent films, then why should it be a problem? Sure Little Mermaid is aimed more at girls but you speak to a lot of adult girls these days and a good chunk of them will say they actually hate the film for reasons like Arial getting what she wants in the end, selling her soul basically for legs and a man, etc. I enjoy the film nowadays because the songs are still good and catchy, and parts like when she can't talk and only her face shows her amazement and curiosity through emotion as she discovers this whole new world. The thing about these films is you can watch them as kids and be entertained, but when you rewatch them, you can watch it through adult eyes like respect the level of handdrawn animation (Which is something we don't see all that much anymore, thank you fully CG movies.) and understand some of the themes you didnt get as a kid but perfectly understand as an adult. Much like rewatching old Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry cartoons, you laughed at the violence as a kid, rewatch as an adult and you'll discover a fair bit of hidden adult humor. In-fact, I've seen a fair few parents consider old Looney Tunes/Tom and Jerry to be much too violent for today's kids and sure enough they've been censored enough over the years (Blackface bits, the voice actress for the black housemaid, etc.)

And then there's the stuff from childhood that never gets revived. Just yesterday I received Around The World with Willy Fog on DVD and I guarantee you no TV channel has or will air that. Netflix or Amazon Prime maybe, but being obscure and probably nearly 30 years since I saw it, I doubt it. Is it wrong I can't get that "80 Days Around The World" song out my head? Course not.

And of course if you think that is bad, you clearly have never heard of a Brony. :wink:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

dste

Post by dste » Thu May 17, 2018 9:39 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 am
Weirdly, I don't think I've seen The Princess in the Frog beyond a few snippets, though I know my grandkids have it (and I have it for them at ours). It just isn't one they ask for.

Watched Prime Suspect 1973 at the weekend. Pretty good reboot prequel, I hope there's more. Casting was great, it's surprising how much like a young Helen Mirren the new actor for Tennison is, they've tried for consistency there at least.
Yeah, I think The Princess and the Frog doesn't really get talked about as much as the rest of the Disney films especially as Tangled was the film that followed it. I think it's definitely worth a watch.

Unfortunately Prime Suspect 1973 was cancelled after just one series.

psj3809 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:26 am
Please tell me you have kids !!!
Yes I do but I would most likely watch them at some point anyway as I like to watch animations. A lot of animations include adult references but can be enjoyable anyway, just because it's a cartoon doesn't mean it cannot be watched by adults, it's just another form of film/TV. Shrek 2 I think is a brilliant film as it's really funny and also has a lot of jokes/references for adults.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri May 18, 2018 7:11 am

Disappointing news about Prime Suspect 1973, very surprised it wasn't renewed, I thought it was one of the better UK crime dramas.

Since you mention Tangled, that's actually pretty good, I've seen it many times. Not seen much of the series, which went for a very different style of animation and hasn't appealed so much to the kids.

dste

Post by dste » Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 pm

PS1973 was cancelled due to a difference of opinion between ITV and Lynda La Plante, it drew in big ratings but then didn't get renewed.

Tangled is possibly my favourite Disney movie, it's so fun in it's simplicity. We haven't watched the series yet, will hopefully get round to it at some point.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Mon May 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Watched Deadpool 2 in IMAX yesterday, it was awesome, very funny and great action

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon May 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Currently enjoying Westworld Season 2, on track to be one of the best TV shows ever made, maybe even the best when it's all said and done.
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue May 22, 2018 5:54 pm

Deadpool 2. Good but not great. Tried a little too hard to be funny at times. Also a great explanation as why the other x men aren't around!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 am

^Budget

Also Deadpool 2, not as good as the first, the mystery villain was expected

Like how they addressed that Cable isnt as tall as he should be as well as Domino being black (shes white with black spots...)
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:14 pm

Solo

Pretty good 7.5/10

No huge surprises apart from the odd one ! Good enjoyable film with some good action and funny moments. Would see again for sure and might raise to an 8

Always exiting seeing a new Star Wars film for the first time. Thought the lead actor who’s name I won’t ever be able to spell did a really good job

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat May 26, 2018 1:43 pm

A WRINKLE IN TIME - even for a disney movie, this was SHALLOW and very random sometimes, and didn't really do much either

THE SMURFS THE LOST VILLAGE - watch that instead

also last weeks episode of WESTWORLD was fantastic!
and seen the last two of SILICON VALLEY, funny as hell, should have been titled "richard learns now" :mrgreen:

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun May 27, 2018 11:43 am

Savages, about Californian cannabis growers dealing with a hostile takeover from Mexican drug gang. Watchable but nothing special either. You'd expect a bit more from Oliver Stone.

Also just re-watched Jason Bourne. I love the Bourne series so much. Just saw this bit of news on wikipedia:

"On April 13, 2018, USA Network ordered a pilot for a series titled Treadstone which will be written by Tim Kring. The series will explore the origins of the Treadstone program as well as sleeper agents associated with it."

Could be decent. :|
Pratty's trade list, updated (October 2018)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sun May 27, 2018 10:06 pm

Watched the Blair Witch reboot tonight.

An hour and a half of people running about in the dark with torches & shaky cams shouting each others names. Not sure why I expected anything different. Not great.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:21 am

IT follows

Meant to be a really good horror film. 55 minutes in I’m bored as anything. This was I. Lots of top 10 horror lists from last year.

So disappointing so far

dste

Post by dste » Wed May 30, 2018 8:22 pm

The Joel McHale Show on Netflix.

Rather enjoyed it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Thu May 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Solo, in IMAX, it was a good, fun film, much better than the Last Jedi