Hardware and software collections ???

A place to discuss anything retro that isn't games related

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

oldtimer

Hardware and software collections ???

Post by oldtimer » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:37 pm

I think i am gonna be out on a limb here,but i prefer collecting retro games hardware and accessories rather than software.
Dont get me wrong,ive prob got 1000 plus games across countless platforms,but for me its always gonna be fiddling about with pieces of obscure games hardware.
AND i do still play a lot of games as well,particually Atari stuff.
Anyone else think like me ?
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

woody.cool

Re: Hardware and software collections ???

Post by woody.cool » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:42 pm

I tend to collect obscure Amiga hardware.
I've got a MIDI interface for my A500, a random IDE based HD addon for my A500 (I think it's an Alpha-Data one)
I also have two GVP HD8+'s for the A500, a 1MB SRAM card for the A600 and several A1200 accellerators (I have about 4 of them now)

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:56 pm

sounds pretty cool.
The more obscure the better for me.
Half the fun is trying to get the stuff working again. :D

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:19 pm

Nah, I don't really see the point in collecting hardware as such, I'd rather have a larger collection of games to play with. The only hardware I'll collect is stuff that I specifically need to play certain games with.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:28 pm

I love the NES hardware. Always trying to find mint, boxed stuff.

rupert

Post by rupert » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:14 pm

Rinoa wrote:I love the NES hardware. Always trying to find mint, boxed stuff.
I'm exactly the same for Master System stuff. I've got rarther a lot of it now but still missing some regional variations. Also look out for boxed 3rd part controlers but never pay too much for them.

Here are a few pics, not eveything though..

Cables, pads and rapid fire units. The boxed rapid fire units are easy to find on ebay, the pads turn up maybe once a month if you keep a keen eye out. The boxed cables are super rare, the ones I own are the only ones I have ever seen..

Scart cable missing from the pic above, again never seen any other than this one.

Brazil rapid fire unit.

This rapid fire unit was part of a US mail order offer.

Brazil pad, very very hard to find boxed.

Mega Drive style pad which was adopted for the later release Master Systems in Brazil.

Brazil Tec Toy branded Quickshot controler, they also rebranded a few other controlers but I don''t have these yet.

Japanese controlers, normal pad and a paddle. The paddles also came included in the box with Alex Kidd BMX Trial and Woody Pop so a boxed alone one is quite rare.

US only controler (apaprt from the smaller jap version) poor to use and a lot bigger than it looks.

Jap sports pad, smaller than the one above, perhaps to do with the hand size difference? Came with the game included in the box.

Very hard to find un-boxed let alone boxed, the thing only just fits into the box due to the cable being so long.

Hard to find in good condition due to the box being so big a flimsy. Usually missing the detachable cable.

A Jap Handle Controler, they did another similar one with a little wheel which I dont have (yet).

I didnt pay that much for these 3 years ago but recently they are going for over £100 on ebay in much worse condition than this :roll:

Jap 3D glasses (note the Mark III coloured adapter, this won't fit in a Master System, the Jap Master System has the adapter built in)

The 4 main euro variations (there are a few others)

Brazil Light Phaser, not too hard to find recently for some reason.

German 'Der Sega Light Phaser'

German 'Das Sega Master System'

Jap Master System, not that rare but do fetch a high price due to some of the games not getting a western release and the built in FM sound (you tube Master System FM sound to see how much better it is)

Befor the above system came out in Japan they had the Sega Mark III which had this optional FM sound add-on

Sega Mark III Telecon Pak, so you don't need an aerial Cable (??!)

Graphic Board, see my blog for more info on that.

Brazil Master System II (Hence why there SMSIII is our II).

Sega SG-1000 Mark II (not really an SMS but close).

Brazil Master System III 120 (2006)

Brazil Master System III 131 old style (2007)

Brazil Master System III '131' new style (2008)

I'm only posting the interesting Master System packages as there are too many and most a re very similar, this one is one of the hardest to find. I know of 2 others in collectors hands. Apparently there is also a Lion King version but nobody has seen it yet.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:05 pm

That Telecon is brilliant. Probably the most pointless add on I've ever seen. I wonder what the range is....

Used to collect more hardware (MSX, FM Towns, PC Engine, PS2 dev hardware & software) but just don't have the money or space anymore for it. Same goes for games really, only have about 200 now with PC Engine making up the majority. Do have quite a bit of music hardware too, not really for collection though, it gets use.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:10 pm

I prefer collecting the software, I get more of a buzz out of obtaining a rare game or playing and enjoying a game that I had previously never heard of.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm

WOW! I love your Master System collection ..... I'm envious!
I like the Master System, and have recently started collecting Master System stuff.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:45 am

Amazing collection but do you actually do anything with it ? Seens more of an obsession ? I mean all those sealed control pads and rapid fire units, you dont need that many do you ?!

Can understand getting one or two of em ! Hope you use it though and its just not sealed forever

rupert

Post by rupert » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am

psj3809 wrote:Amazing collection but do you actually do anything with it ? Seens more of an obsession ? I mean all those sealed control pads and rapid fire units, you dont need that many do you ?!

Can understand getting one or two of em ! Hope you use it though and its just not sealed forever
The reason I have a few of some things is 1) to check for minor variations, I know of those 5 pads in the top picture 2 are different. 2) try and get the best possible condition stuff.

I have loose stuff i use to play with. The rest will stay packaged forever.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:07 pm

I'm not knocking you, and think that's a fantastic collection of Master System stuff that you have there, but it just seems so sad to some of us to see it remaining forever sealed and boxed up, never to be used, played with or truly enjoyed. It's a feeling that stems from seeing the obsession with collecting sealed games that many people seem to have. Anyhow, I suppose that there's a lot of us on here who've got more hardware and games stashed away that we'll ever use (myself included).
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Sigma

Post by Sigma » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:46 pm

I do collect the old stuff going back to the 2600, though I will still spend far more on games made within the last 5 years.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:12 pm

I have 30ish consoles and computers but apart from a Neo Geo AES - I'm through with collecting hardware and want to develop as good a software collection as I can reasonably afford.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Keep going m8......thats what i say.
Great master system collections.
I tend to do the same with Atari stuff.