What game have you COMPLETED this week

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: What game have you COMPLETED this week

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pm

Replayed Yakuza Kenzan. 90ish hours, hard mode, beat Amon finally... definitely see why he's often listed as the hardest Amon to beat. I've now beaten every version of him across every game (including his badass improved boss fight in 7's EX Hard mode). Now to take another break from Yakuza before attempting the plat trophy for 1HD on the PS3, should be a piece of cake if I can clear the Haruka baseball request.
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm
The unlockable SOR1 characters seem pointless when you have superior versions of them. And they look a bit out of place. The most baffling thing is no Max or Shiva when both of them appear as bosses. Shouldn’t be that difficult to make them playable
Far from pointless. SOR1 characters deal insane damage, its the easiest way to clear arcade mode on higher difficulties. Adam especially thanks to his awesome jump kick, if you get enemies in a corner with him or Axel especially you basically just maul enemies or bosses alike. Heck, if you use the cop car move on the final boss its almost a 1 hit kill (unless that's since been patched). I found most of the SOR2 cast way more useless as they lacked the speed from 3's, the moves from 4's or the damage from 1's characters.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:53 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:15 pm
Replayed Yakuza Kenzan. 90ish hours, hard mode, beat Amon finally... definitely see why he's often listed as the hardest Amon to beat. I've now beaten every version of him across every game (including his badass improved boss fight in 7's EX Hard mode). Now to take another break from Yakuza before attempting the plat trophy for 1HD on the PS3, should be a piece of cake if I can clear the Haruka baseball request.
Shinobi wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:18 pm
The unlockable SOR1 characters seem pointless when you have superior versions of them. And they look a bit out of place. The most baffling thing is no Max or Shiva when both of them appear as bosses. Shouldn’t be that difficult to make them playable
Far from pointless. SOR1 characters deal insane damage, its the easiest way to clear arcade mode on higher difficulties. Adam especially thanks to his awesome jump kick, if you get enemies in a corner with him or Axel especially you basically just maul enemies or bosses alike. Heck, if you use the cop car move on the final boss its almost a 1 hit kill (unless that's since been patched). I found most of the SOR2 cast way more useless as they lacked the speed from 3's, the moves from 4's or the damage from 1's characters.
Tbh I’ve not used the SOR characters yet or tried arcade mode. I can finish the main story with Blaze without losing a life on most levels. I then finished it with Floyd who’s not bad due to the damage he does but really slow. And I struggle with those fat biker woman who do the running pile driver. I had to use the extra lives and stars to finish it with him. Axel was terrible really slow, poor jump, his multiple hit special is decent for combos but he gets knocked out of it easy. And his double tap Special range is really short! I just got frustrated with using him he just unlike Floyd who’s insanely strong with loads of moves. My brief play with Adam I though He was what Axel should have. Cherry I though being Skate I wouldn’t like but she is awesome her grab when she sits on the bad guys shoulders and punches them in the head is way overpowered.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
I found most of the SOR2 cast way more useless as they lacked the speed from 3's, the moves from 4's or the damage from 1's characters.
Max is a bit of a beast though. I've found that you can utterly spam his dashing special move on the Easy mode (since it doesn't drain too much energy) and wipe out bosses stupidly easily by charging one way, then the other, and occasionally throwing in the standing spinning special. Seems to trap a lot of bosses and override pretty much anything. In the first Estel fight for example, she didn't even get a chance to call in the second form of rocket attacks because I just had her stuck in a loop of specials.

Obviously it doesn't really work on higher difficulties because you can't be so liberal with your energy bar.

SoR3 Shiva is a monster too, since his Final Crash special (and star move) can hit floored enemies. Strung together some big boss-slaying combos with him too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm

SMW2:Yoshis Island-SNES/Switch- Meh. It was ok. It looks lovely but I found most of the levels uninspiring and the music is not a patch on the original. Glad I've finished it but I can't see me playing it again.

Ghostbusters:Remastered-PS4- It was always a little bit janky when it first came out. Still has the same amount of jank except it looks prettier. A solid B game with a frustrating last level difficulty spike about 3/4 through it. Apart from that part, Bustin' made me feel good.

Theseus-PSVR- Basically a 3rd person walking simulator with mild platforming and combat. Without the VR it would have been ok, with the VR and the scale of the labyrinth and Minotaur it upped it to good. Worth a couple of hours of anyones time. I think I paid £5 for it. Well worth it for that.

Astro Bot-PSVR- censored me! What a game. It's inventive, whimsical and just downright Joyful. Each world gets more and more inventive with its design and bosses. Definitely the best game I've played in VR. Amazing stuff.

Being furloughed helps me clear my backlog...I just need another 20 years and I'll be up to date...

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:02 am

Megamixer wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 pm
ShadowMan wrote:
I found most of the SOR2 cast way more useless as they lacked the speed from 3's, the moves from 4's or the damage from 1's characters.
Max is a bit of a beast though. I've found that you can utterly spam his dashing special move on the Easy mode (since it doesn't drain too much energy) and wipe out bosses stupidly easily by charging one way, then the other, and occasionally throwing in the standing spinning special. Seems to trap a lot of bosses and override pretty much anything. In the first Estel fight for example, she didn't even get a chance to call in the second form of rocket attacks because I just had her stuck in a loop of specials.

Obviously it doesn't really work on higher difficulties because you can't be so liberal with your energy bar.

SoR3 Shiva is a monster too, since his Final Crash special (and star move) can hit floored enemies. Strung together some big boss-slaying combos with him too.
I only really touch hard/mania so I can't comment on lower difficultiese, but Max does seem pretty good once you get the hang of how he plays. His dash and slide are great when utilised properly. Some cool off the ground/juggle combo opportunities...
The Last Ginja wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Ghostbusters:Remastered-PS4- It was always a little bit janky when it first came out. Still has the same amount of jank except it looks prettier. A solid B game with a frustrating last level difficulty spike about 3/4 through it. Apart from that part, Bustin' made me feel good.
Gonna guess the bit your talking about is the bit with the little angel statue things while you try and get the doors open? That bit annoyed me on the 360 and still annoyed me on the PS4. Definitely agree with it being a janky game, but the 60FPS boost was appreciated and its still fun since its not like we are drowning in GB games!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:57 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:02 am
Megamixer wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 pm
ShadowMan wrote:

I only really touch hard/mania so I can't comment on lower difficultiese, but Max does seem pretty good once you get the hang of how he plays. His dash and slide are great when utilised properly. Some cool off the ground/juggle combo opportunities...
The Last Ginja wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:45 pm

Gonna guess the bit your talking about is the bit with the little angel statue things while you try and get the doors open? That bit annoyed me on the 360 and still annoyed me on the PS4. Definitely agree with it being a janky game, but the 60FPS boost was appreciated and its still fun since its not like we are drowning in GB games!
Spot on :) I played through the 360 version too but have no recollection of this part, so I either didn't have trouble before or I wiped it from my memory. It doesn't ruin it but does sully the end slightly.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:52 am

Wonderboy 3-Megadrive/PS4- Well that was censored. I played it through in VR and while the first few levels were fun enough from about the halfway point to the end I had to keep using the rewind function due to so much bullshit. I doubt many people finished it back in the day.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

I completed Gameboy and Nes Castlevania games

Gameboy Castlevania was really slow and broken and only 4 levels. The forced scrolling third level with the pixel perfect jumps was infuriating and the bosses where far to easy. Even Dracula could be beaten by standing on the top right platform. The bat form dyed just as quick

Nes Castlevania was good didn’t find Death as hard as everybody makes out. As you can stun lock him as soon as he appears, I beat him without taking a hit. Dracula’s second form I also stunned locked by spamming Holy Water.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm

It's been a busy couple of weeks at my house of being Furloughed so let's clear the backlog:...

Theseus-PSVR- Basically a 3rd person walking simulator with mild platforming and combat. Without the VR it would have been ok, with the VR and the scale of the labyrinth and Minotaur it upped it to good. Worth a couple of hours of anyones time. I think I paid £5 for it. Well worth it for that.

Astro Bot-PSVR- censored me! What a game. It's inventive, whimsical and just downright Joyful. Each world gets more and more inventive with its design and bosses. Definitely the best game I've played in VR. Amazing stuff.

Metro Exodus-Bone- This is a great game, by far the best Metro game. It's not without faults, it mainly falls down with navigation in the open areas, which wasn't a problem in the other games since they were fairly linear.Something I hope they'll sort out for the next one to make it clearer where to go next.

This game has levels that are contained open worlds and you can pretty much go anywhere. The only other problem I had was Artyom sometimes felt a bit too big for the area I was trying to navigate, so it became a bit clumsy at times. The games a looker though and the story is great, well worth a playthrough.

Ratchet & Clank(Reboot)-PS4-Just what I needed after the oppressiveness of Metro. A fun platformer with primary colours galore! I've loved these games since Tools of Destruction on PS3, I missed out on the PS2 era games for whatever reason. Anyway this is a lot of fun, zany weapons and some fun but not too taxing platforming and puzzles make this a game well worth playing.

Shenmue-PS4-Furlough Platinum number 4- I still love this.I beat it back in the day twice. It's dated as censored in so many respects, but it took chances and I think helped to shape todays games in a lot of ways. The worst I can say about it is the final boss battle is not exciting in any way shape or form, more a war of attrition. Something that has been changed for the better over the years.

I was pretty close to the end back in September 2018 and my last trophy was 3/9/18. I was really enjoying it then Forsaken for Destiny 2 released on the 4th( I just had to look that up as I couldn't think why I'd dropped it!) so censored Destiny 2 even more :) Anyway I have 2 and 3 waiting in the wings. I may got straight into them as I seem to be into completing trilogies this year.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:57 pm

Mr Driller Drill land,
Well saw the end credits, now working on the Level 2 bits

SOR4 as SOR Axel, on hard, hes a bit OP

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:31 am

The Last Ginja wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:09 pm

I just finished this as well, will get the plat as well as its fairly easy. Such a cool game, and a great show piece for VR.

Shinobi wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:32 am

Gameboy Castlevania was really slow and broken and only 4 levels. The forced scrolling third level with the pixel perfect jumps was infuriating and the bosses where far to easy. Even Dracula could be beaten by standing on the top right platform. The bat form dyed just as quick

Nes Castlevania was good didn’t find Death as hard as everybody makes out. As you can stun lock him as soon as he appears, I beat him without taking a hit. Dracula’s second form I also stunned locked by spamming Holy Water.
The first GB game is agonising. Its not so much hard as just painful to play, due to the slow walking speed that gets even slower when anything else shows up on screen. The first NES game is definitely over rated in terms of difficulty as you can just get multi holy water/cross and destroy him real easy. I still love the original CV1/3/4/Rondo though, such a great series. 2 isnt all that fun but boy is the soundtrack ace.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:55 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:31 am

I just finished this as well, will get the plat as well as its fairly easy. Such a cool game, and a great show piece for VR.

[quote=Shinobi post_id=<a href="tel:1109604">1109604</a> time=<a href="tel:1593520345">1593520345</a> user_id=5368]

[/quote]

The first GB game is agonising. Its not so much hard as just painful to play, due to the slow walking speed that gets even slower when anything else shows up on screen. The first NES game is definitely over rated in terms of difficulty as you can just get multi holy water/cross and destroy him real easy. I still love the original CV1/3/4/Rondo though, such a great series. 2 isnt all that fun but boy is the soundtrack ace.
[/quote]

That’s what I did use the Holy Water as Death comes down he didn’t attack. Used the Holy Water on Dracula’s second form after you behead him. It just locked him in place granted that boss had a lot more energy then the previous bosses.

GB Castlevania was just boring painfully hardly any enemies and pixel perfect jumps. Sending you back to the beginning of the level was just a cheap way to extend the life of a very short and largely easy game. I did save state on Dracula to learn his patterns getting to him with the powered up whip you could just tank Drac

GoldenOgre

Post by GoldenOgre » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:33 am

Right now I'm playing all the games from 1986-87 for my YouTube series, but the one game that I have completed a few times now for the first time ever is Trojan made by Capcom. It's like a mixture of ghost 'n goblins and Kung Fu (with a sword). It's the kind of game that if you don't bother to look at the manual or find out where the hidden power ups are, the game is extremely difficult. Once you figure out the strats and also, the continue code, the game becomes really easy. Now i'm trying to beat the game without dying so i can attempt speed runs of it. I still can't beat Ninja Gaiden on NES!