What did you buy at the carboot today ??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

oldtimer

What did you buy at the carboot today ??

Post by oldtimer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:35 am

Anybody go to the carboot today ????
I bought a barcode battler for 20p and a Commodore Amiga (boxed) for a fiver with a few games.....
I saw some Atari 2600 carts as well but the guy had a very unrealistic price attached to them ie £7.00 for an unboxed Pacman cart !!!!!!!

Overheat

Post by Overheat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:36 pm

good idea for a thread :)

What Amiga is it?
Overheat's Top 10 Auctions *updated weekly (or thereabouts)* | CLICK HERE

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Think you need say where these bargains are to be found, unless of course yiu want to keep at a secret for yourself.

Muralbat

Post by Muralbat » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:32 pm

Finally got myself a dreamcast today for £10 with a VMU and 2 games [ferrari simulator and sega athelete 2k]
Both really good games. Been waiting to find a good priced DC.

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Slim pickings at the Otley Car boot today, picked up Breath of Fire 4 on the PC for £1 though. Saw a mega drive with a few common games for £15 as well.

It's pretty much the only car boot I can make as it starts at 12pm. I DJ every saturday night until 3am so I never really feel like getting up for the 7am ones!

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:35 pm

Its an Amiga1200.
So nothing to exciting i am afraid.
I try to go to a carboot every sunday if i can,but i have to get up real early as i work most sundays so its a case of 7.00am .....
Got some real bargains over the years including a vectrex for £20quid.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:47 pm

I went to a carboot in Sheffield tooday, first time in months and I got.... a magazine for 10p. There were sod all games there which was dissapointing as I usually dont bother with carboots in Bath. Maybe I'm missing something but I've tried a few in different parts of the country and I've yet to find anything. I'm not after bargains just retro games you cant get on the high street.

Any tips (that dont involve getting up early)?

Guybrush

Post by Guybrush » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:
Get up early! ;)

You need to be at a car boot soon after it opens or often the bargains will be snapped up before you get there. Car booters are a savvy lot and know exactly how much they can resell stuff on Ebay for. So saleable items like cheap retro games go fast.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:20 pm

oldtimer wrote:Its an Amiga1200.
So nothing to exciting i am afraid.
The A1200 is an excellent model whether it has been upgraded or not.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

filecore

Post by filecore » Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Guybrush wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:
Get up early! ;)

You need to be at a car boot soon after it opens or often the bargains will be snapped up before you get there. Car booters are a savvy lot and know exactly how much they can resell stuff on Ebay for. So saleable items like cheap retro games go fast.
Yeh, its serious business round these parts!! It's not worth going unless you are there when the sellers get there.
About 6.30am, was just wandering around the newly arrived booters. Spot a box with the Nintendo logo poking out of someone's boot. She lifts it onto the table and it contains about 20 boxed SNES and N64 games. I pull out a game and am just about to ask the price of them. Then, out of nowhere, this woman that I see quite a lot buying all sorts of games says 'How much are the games'. Seller replies £3 for the whole box. (!!!) Before I can react, this woman says I'll have them and pays. It all took about 8 seconds.

Thinking back now, I should have offered the seller a tenner for the box after that. Ah well too late. I kinda wish I hadn't seen them. It's been nagging at me all day.

In a slight recompense, picked up a Boxed GBA Micro and 9 boxed Advance games for a tenner from a seller, 3 SNES carts at 50p each from another and Ecco for the DC for a pound.

Ah well.... :)

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:25 pm

Just a megadrive with 7 decent ish games today , a n64 with 14 games (non exciting ones) and a set of card tricks .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:38 pm

filecore wrote:
Guybrush wrote:
Fightersmegamix wrote:
Get up early! ;)

Yeh, its serious business round these parts!! It's not worth going unless you are there when the sellers get there.
About 6.30am, was just wandering around the newly arrived booters. Spot a box with the Nintendo logo poking out of someone's boot. She lifts it onto the table and it contains about 20 boxed SNES and N64 games. I pull out a game and am just about to ask the price of them. Then, out of nowhere, this woman that I see quite a lot buying all sorts of games says 'How much are the games'. Seller replies £3 for the whole box. (!!!) Before I can react, this woman says I'll have them and pays. It all took about 8 seconds.

Thinking back now, I should have offered the seller a tenner for the box after that. Ah well too late. I kinda wish I hadn't seen them. It's been nagging at me all day.

In a slight recompense, picked up a Boxed GBA Micro and 9 boxed Advance games for a tenner from a seller, 3 SNES carts at 50p each from another and Ecco for the DC for a pound.

Ah well.... :)
you have to be brutal! next time that happens pick up the box and say i just bought them!

its dog eat dog grab what you can as soon as you see it...down here you have to fight the traders off when your trying to unload the car boot!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

filecore

Post by filecore » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:42 pm

mohicankid wrote: you have to be brutal! next time that happens pick up the box and say i just bought them!

its dog eat dog grab what you can as soon as you see it...down here you have to fight the traders off when your trying to unload the car boot!
Yeh yeah I know, arggh!!!! :) I"ve played it over and over in my head. I think it blew me away when she said 3 quid for the whole f'ing box.
Ah well, you win some, you lose some. Anyway, I didn't really do that badly overall (just keep telling yourself that mate, hah!) ;)

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:16 pm

don't worry i'm sure you'll see 'em on ebay tonight.....for a fiver each! :lol:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Kenz

Post by Kenz » Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:17 pm

I went to a carboot last week and bagged a Game Gear, 4 games + the Gear Master doohicky that lets you play Master System carts on the Game Gear - cost me a tenner that lot ...

... Shame the Game Gear didn't actually work, mind. :evil:
http://www.psytronik.net/ - New games for retro gaming systems!
http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/ - Binary Zone Retro Store!
http://psytronik.blogspot.com/ - Psytronik Software Blog now online!