'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2394
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by samhain81 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:33 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Was Special When Lit more limited? Pinball has a huge US audience compared to the UK retro scene.
On blu ray, it was very limited

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 27004
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:50 am

Maybe they just took the hit because they'd made up the difference in DVD sales? Or maybe its justcheaper to manufacture there?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:59 pm

Well tbh I thought it was a little overpriced, but still bought it as I did want it and know I will have it for life. And it really is a quality production in a limited niche market so don't mind paying a bit more for that, and just stoked it has been produced.

That said...if you take a look at the early days of this films production, the prices really were bonkers- It has actually dropped to a realistic level now. I know many (including myself) that loved the idea of the movie but were never going to pay what they originally were asking :)

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by The Laird » Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:59 am

The price is the sole reason I haven't got this yet, IMO it's far too expensive. I mean look at the newly released World 1-1, a stunning documentary film that is over 2 hours long and full of interviews with huge names, it costs just £6.

kiwimike
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:27 pm

The Laird wrote:The price is the sole reason I haven't got this yet, IMO it's far too expensive. I mean look at the newly released World 1-1, a stunning documentary film that is over 2 hours long and full of interviews with huge names, it costs just £6.
Yes it looks great but no word on the dvd cost yet. Keen for this and pixel poetry

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by The Laird » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:18 am

kiwimike wrote:
The Laird wrote:The price is the sole reason I haven't got this yet, IMO it's far too expensive. I mean look at the newly released World 1-1, a stunning documentary film that is over 2 hours long and full of interviews with huge names, it costs just £6.
Yes it looks great but no word on the dvd cost yet. Keen for this and pixel poetry
The DVD of World 1-1 won't be out for ages according to the producer, so I recommend downloading it.

kiwimike
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:10 pm

The Laird wrote:
kiwimike wrote:
The Laird wrote:The price is the sole reason I haven't got this yet, IMO it's far too expensive. I mean look at the newly released World 1-1, a stunning documentary film that is over 2 hours long and full of interviews with huge names, it costs just £6.
Yes it looks great but no word on the dvd cost yet. Keen for this and pixel poetry
The DVD of World 1-1 won't be out for ages according to the producer, so I recommend downloading it.
Would love to but my download capacity isn't adequate. Been talking to em on fb and it sounds like there'll be heaps of extras so worth the wait! :)

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by dpg50000 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:49 am

Any Kickstarter backers heard anything about the perks yet? It's been a month since they sent the physical disks out, and they said they would write to everyone expecting a perk to confirm address etc. There's no update on their Facebook page that I can see, just continual attempts to hawk the film (fair enough, it is their livelihood :) ).

kiwimike
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:55 pm

dpg50000 wrote:Any Kickstarter backers heard anything about the perks yet? It's been a month since they sent the physical disks out, and they said they would write to everyone expecting a perk to confirm address etc. There's no update on their Facebook page that I can see, just continual attempts to hawk the film (fair enough, it is their livelihood :) ).
No word yet on your perks? Kicking into Feb now you would hope to be getting some update

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by dpg50000 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Nope, no news on the perks still. Getting pretty peed off actually.

kiwimike
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by kiwimike » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:03 pm

dpg50000 wrote:Nope, no news on the perks still. Getting pretty peed off actually.
Understandable and fair. You guys put some serious money in.

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by dpg50000 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:52 am

Just asked the question on their Facebook page. They're normally quite good at getting back to you. Fingers crossed.

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6775
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:58 am

We'll hopefully have a review of this in issue 140.
Does anyone else think the special edition Blu-Ray is a little excessive at £50? I mean you can get the Star Wars saga for that.
Image

dpg50000
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue May 23, 2006 4:15 pm

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by dpg50000 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:13 am

Hi Darran,

Yes, I think £50 is a little excessive (though I actually backed the Kickstarter at £120...). The main film is awesome though - not watched the extras yet, but hopefully they are the same high quality.

kiwimike
Posts: 3710
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: 'Bedrooms to Billions' film project - how you can help!

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:44 am

Yeah I think the majority felt it was overpriced...even more so in the earlier days of it's production (covered in this topic on the first couple of pages).
I bit the bullet and bought it, as I love collecting books and DVDs on gaming history (more than gaming itself nowadays)- I knew I would have it for life, and it looked high quality. It's the most I have ever paid for a single DVD release (nor intend to). Luckily it is terrific and the quality I hoped it would be.

That said I would never have bought it at their original asking price which had been unrealistically stupid IMO. Their perks etc were also very steep, so I can totally understand these guys that paid big money getting quite angry they still haven't got them.

Ironically, as I mentioned in a previous post I received the Blu Ray Spec edition despite ordering the DVD. But as I waited so long I didn't want to fart around with organising an exchange so just went and bought a Blu ray player instead :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests