Franchises companies don't seem to know what to do with

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Franchises companies don't seem to know what to do with

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Capcom's handling of Megaman over the last few years is the perfect topic for this thread. They were in my opinion onto something making Megaman 9 and 10 in the style of the old NES games. I was thrilled when they were announced and even more so when I played them, they were the perfect sequels and 9 especially was a return to form after the uneven Megaman 7 and the slow paced Megaman 8. Then despite a few promising games getting announced (and then ultimately canceled) the character has not been touched by Capcom for a long while (he was even ignored in the recent Marvel Vs Capcom 3). I'd guess that as Capcom strives to only make top selling games they won't touch Megaman again as they don't believe there is a market for it, while Inafune presses ahead with the spiritual sequel Mighty Number 9.

Right now I don't believe Capcom has the talent to make a decent Megaman game, instead they should allow another studio to make a Megaman game. Retro studios (who did Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns) would be an excellent choice as their work on both MP and DKCR makes me think they could do the character justice. Either that or Nintendo themselves, the way they handled Megaman in the latest Smash Bros game was flawless and I'm sure they'd be able to make an amazing sequel. My only worry with Nintendo is that they'd make the game too easy.

Oh, and I agree with Kid Chameleon. I loved that game so much and I'm still gutted that it never got a sequel.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:49 pm

The Laird wrote:When it comes to this subject I could go on forever and I think the worst offenders are the very guys who were there at the beginning.

Firstly we have Warner Bros., who now own all the back catalogues of Midway, Williams and Atari Games. That includes stuff like Robotron, Defender, STUN Runner, RoadBlasters, 720 Degrees, Joust, Paperboy, Smash TV, NBA Jam, Xenophobe, Spy Hunter, GORF, Xybots, NARC, Hard Drivin' . . . I could go on and on.

Some of these are ripe for updates/reboots/sequels while others would make great games for portable devices, especially the 3DS. I mean could you imagine games like STUN Runner, RoadBlasters, Robotron X, Xybots and Hard/Race Drivin' in glorious 3D like Sega have done with their games? Would be fantastic. There is a bit of hope now though after seeing what they have done with Gauntlet, although why that is only a PC game is anyone's guess.

And as I mentioned them, there is also Sega of course. They are just sitting on a ton of great IP with titles like Streets Of Rage, Shinobi, Toe Jam & Earl, Phantasy Star, OutRun, Wonder Boy, Space Harrier, Hang On, Zaxxon, Alex Kidd, Nights, Columns, Panzer Dragoon, Crazy Taxi and many more. Again there is still hope given what they have done already with some of their I.P., but seems strange that they have ignored some really obvious titles.

Taito might now be part of Square Enix but why is so much of their IP being ignored? All we seem to get are endless Space Invaders and Bust-A-Move games with games like New Zealand Story, Bubble Bobble, Operation Wolf, Chase H.Q., Arkanoid, Darius, Rastan, Qix, Renegade and many more being left to rot.

And lastly there is the company that call themselves Atari these days. To be fair they have tried many times to resurrect some of their I.P.but just always seem to make a total mess of it. Star Raiders could have been brilliant, it was a bit rubbish. Yars Revenge was flawed and the Haunted House mobile game was just a joke. Centipede Infestation could have been great with a bit more work. There current strategy seems to mostly involve mobile games like Breakout Boost and Outlaw. They have such a rich library of great titles they could update, I mean imagine Tempest 2000 on the 3DS? That would be amazing, as would Missile Command 3D. Star Raiders could be a brilliant online space exploration game, Outlaw could be something more akin to Red Dead Redemption and who wouldn't love to see a new Ninja Golf game? :lol:
While remaking Outlaw as a Read Dead Redemption clone would be a bit of a stretch I think, there's no denying a sizeable chunk of the old arcade IP could be well worth a play even for modern gamers if the update gets the proper care and attention while sticking to its arcade roots. Pacman: Championship Edition was one of the more awesome updates of last gen. Very modern, very arcadey and yet still superbly Pacman. Proof it can be done IMO.
Atari's lazy XBLA updates of Centipede, Asteroids, Missile Command etc are a lesson in how it can all go horribly wrong.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:33 am

Taito did remakes of New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands and Bubble Bobble not that long ago- well about 7 years ago now. The problem was they were cack. Chase HQ and Rastan I'd love to see though. Who owns Data East's IP's at the moment? Is it still G-Mode? I know there was a US only compilation of their games for the Wii a few years back from Majesco, but don't think that was everything. Midnight Resistance, Heavy Barrel, Express Raider... heck Windjammer seems to me to be made for a touchscreen remake.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:11 am

Microsoft are sitting on the Crimson Skies franchise, which is a dire waste.

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:19 am

I think franchises like Road Rash and Chase HQ have the potential to do well on PS4/Xbone because they're close enough to something like Need For Speed to have crossover appeal. Having said that Split Second and Blur both flopped badly. I think something like the Strike series is just too different for developers to take a chance on. The PS4 and Xbone are set to be so choked with annual titles like FIFA, COD, AC, Far Cry and mega sized RPGs like Witcher and Dragon Age that the average gamer isn't going to have the time or inclination to try all these rebooted franchises (I still have a backlog of PS+ downloads I haven't tried yet).

I think the Wii U and handhelds are the only fertile ground for trying out resurrected IPs. Nintendo obviously think it's worth their while developing new games like Splatoon. I think Splatoon will sell like hot cakes to Wii U owners but do I think it would be successful on PS4 or Xbone? No. Same goes for any potential Wonder Boy or Kid Chameleon re-boots.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:20 am

Dizzy

Just Dizzy
Going Solo...................

JamesC

Post by JamesC » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:31 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Dizzy

Just Dizzy

Didn't they try a Kickstarter but fail to reach the target?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:59 am

JamesC wrote:The PS4 and Xbone are set to be so choked with annual titles like FIFA, COD, AC, Far Cry and mega sized RPGs like Witcher and Dragon Age that the average gamer isn't going to have the time or inclination to try all these rebooted franchises (I still have a backlog of PS+ downloads I haven't tried yet).
Well this is the thing really. You only have to look at JamesC's list of mega-sellers here to see just how different mainstream gaming is nowadays compared to many of the old games being mentioned in this thread. We'd all like decent modern updates of our arcade faves, I'm sure, and it's natural for us to overstate the importance of old school gameplay from within our little retro bubble. In reality though, there's probably not that much demand there for such things overall. Most reboots from last gen that came from the arcades were met wth mediocre sales and general indifference. Nearly all were solid enough products but without the association of nostalgia I think they just come off as simplistic and dull experiences for many new gamers. Can't blame the publishers for avoiding them too much if there's no real money to be had from it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:56 am

I think It's about time for a new Micro Machines game
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:07 am

SpockIOM wrote:I think It's about time for a new Micro Machines game
They just did one, minus the Micro Machines license:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsPsjiZIIE

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:12 pm

@ The Laird, there were Shinobi and NBA Jam games last gen. Shinobi was a 3DS exclusive though so a lot of people will have missed that one.

I agree with Beans, that while these old franchises might be worth revisiting there probably isn't enough specific demand for them, particularly where the gameplay is somewhat simplistic and or premise is somewhat mundane by today's standards. I can't see the modern gaming audience getting excited for Paperboy for exmaple. Also with many of the racers I wonder how different they would be from the popular contemporary racers of today.

On the plus side it perhaps leaves a niche open for smaller developers to fill. For example while F-Zero is absent from Nintendo, Shin'en stepped in with Fast Racing League.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:36 pm

joefish wrote:Microsoft are sitting on the Crimson Skies franchise, which is a dire waste.
They are also sitting on Flight Simulator, Black & White, The Movies, Conker, Banjo, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini, Sabrewulf, Viva Pinata, Midtown Madness, Monster Truck Madness, Motocross Madness, Close Combat, Mechcommander, Freelancer, ect.

Sega is no better though, firmly sitting on Shenmue, OutRun, Panzer Dragoon, Golden Axe, Shinobi and many many more, yet Sonic must always get his yearly incarnation... :wink:

SpockIOM

Post by SpockIOM » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:13 am

The Laird wrote:
SpockIOM wrote:I think It's about time for a new Micro Machines game
They just did one, minus the Micro Machines license:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgsPsjiZIIE
Then I shall remove my head from my arse and find it! :lol:
Yours sincerely, the little voice in your head that talks when you read.