Eye of the Moon

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Celebaglar

Eye of the Moon

Post by Celebaglar » Tue May 22, 2007 8:26 pm

Eye of the Moon was intended as the third in Mike Singleton's series after Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge, but of course it never actually saw the light of day.

I seem to remember that at least one magazine of the time previewed the game, complete with some work in progress mock-ups of the graphics - I can remember faces made up of identikit components intended for the different lords. Does anyone else recall this, and if so has anyone got any idea what the magazine was and whether there are any scans of it on the Net?

Eventually, the third game ended up as Lords of Midnight: The Citadel on the PC (1995?), but in the transition it managed to lose all the gameplay elements that made it both accessible and addictive a decade earlier. But I'm rambling now... :roll:

Revok

Post by Revok » Wed May 23, 2007 5:45 am

The citadel would have been ok if they had taken out the stupid rescue characters in the dungeon section.

It did have a feeling of epic-ness that was pretty cool.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed May 23, 2007 5:56 am

The control system was completely pants though, which is what really hurt the game. Rescuing the hostages would not have been a problem had it been done right IMO. What made the early games work was that they were accessible (as long as you had the instructions and knew what keys to use). In The Citadel it didn't matter how well you knew the instructions, control still felt like the Titanic with a broken rudder.

Revok

Post by Revok » Wed May 23, 2007 6:26 am

I seem to remember when it was released the 486DX266 was the fastest processor - and couldn't cope with it properly (which didn't help).

But yes - the controls were pants.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed May 23, 2007 6:58 am

Revok wrote:I seem to remember when it was released the 486DX266 was the fastest processor - and couldn't cope with it properly (which didn't help).

But yes - the controls were pants.
True, but it turns out that a faster processor doesn't help. It's a shame, because under the really crass exterior there was the core of a good game. I think it would have worked better keeping the controls of the older games and souping up the graphics

For example, Chris Wild's unfinished DDR remake shows what you can do with an improved landscaping system and no need for actual 3D.

...and even though resolution and colour depth would have been more limited in 1995 it would still have looked and played better than the 3D controls did.

I don't think the real-time elements went down all that well with fans of the originals either. The approach had more in common with Midwinter than with LOM/DDR.

However, back to the original question, I take it no one remembers the 1980s previews of Eye of the Moon? I was hoping to get some idea of what magazines they were published in so as to try and track them down.

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed May 23, 2007 7:07 am

The only thing i can recall re : 80s mags and the eye of the moon is the interview in crash with Mike Singleton , no screenshots though , just a few lines about the game.

merman

Post by merman » Wed May 23, 2007 7:09 am

I don't remember seeing any preview pictures. Mike was drafted in to work on Star Trek - The Rebel Universe and Eye of the Moon was put to one side. I do remember him talking about it in the ZZAP interview (issue 77, pages 32-34 if you want to look at it over at http://www.zzap64.co.uk - click Scan Versions, issue 77, next, then click on page 32...)
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

rainbird rich

Re: Eye of the Moon

Post by rainbird rich » Wed May 23, 2007 7:30 am

Yes, there was a magazine interview with Mike Singleton, and it did indeed show the identikit application he had written for creating faces. Unfortunately, I have spent many years trying to find that article again and failed! :-(

I thought it might have been ZX Computing or Computer Gamer but I never found it in the latter and most issues of the former have now been scanned and it hasn't turned up yet.

I did end up working on LOM III (bug testing and writing the manual) but have to admit that I was hugely critical of it and disappointed in the end result.
Celebaglar wrote:Eye of the Moon was intended as the third in Mike Singleton's series after Lords of Midnight and Doomdark's Revenge, but of course it never actually saw the light of day.

I seem to remember that at least one magazine of the time previewed the game, complete with some work in progress mock-ups of the graphics - I can remember faces made up of identikit components intended for the different lords. Does anyone else recall this, and if so has anyone got any idea what the magazine was and whether there are any scans of it on the Net?

Eventually, the third game ended up as Lords of Midnight: The Citadel on the PC (1995?), but in the transition it managed to lose all the gameplay elements that made it both accessible and addictive a decade earlier. But I'm rambling now... :roll:
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed May 23, 2007 7:30 am

Merman, thanks for that link. I had forgotten that interview, or maybe missed it altogether (though I used to get Zzap! regularly in those days, so really I shouldn't have).

I'm quite certain the screenshots (actually I believe they were mockups) were published somewhere in the 80s, before the project was shelved. Not in Crash or Zzap!, and probably not in one of the mainstream platform specific mags either or else someone in the Midnight community would have tracked them down by now. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Micro Adventurer either, but it might have been in something like Computer Gamer or somesuch. I know I'm not imagining it as there are others who remember seeing them, but no one remembers where and no one has been able to track them down so far.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed May 23, 2007 7:38 am

rainbird rich wrote:Yes, there was a magazine interview with Mike Singleton, and it did indeed show the identikit application he had written for creating faces. Unfortunately, I have spent many years trying to find that article again and failed! :-(

I thought it might have been ZX Computing or Computer Gamer but I never found it in the latter and most issues of the former have now been scanned and it hasn't turned up yet.
See, I knew I wasn't mad. Well, not that mad... :)
I did end up working on LOM III (bug testing and writing the manual) but have to admit that I was hugely critical of it and disappointed in the end result.
I suppose the game might have got away with it if it didn't have such a high standard to live up to, but anything with "Mike Singleton" in the credits and "Lords of Midnight" in the title was going to generate higher expectations than your average release, specially as people had been waiting 10 years for another game in the series.

Last I heard Mike still hadn't completely written off the possibility of doing Eye of the Moon one day...

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Wed May 23, 2007 7:38 am

It wasn't in Micro Adventurer magazine, as that ceased publication around the time of Doomdark's Revenge (March '85 was the last issue I think).

Funny how we both think it was Computer Gamer - but I've got scans of that mag and it's not in there either!
Celebaglar wrote:Merman, thanks for that link. I had forgotten that interview, or maybe missed it altogether (though I used to get Zzap! regularly in those days, so really I shouldn't have).

I'm quite certain the screenshots (actually I believe they were mockups) were published somewhere in the 80s, before the project was shelved. Not in Crash or Zzap!, and probably not in one of the mainstream platform specific mags either or else someone in the Midnight community would have tracked them down by now. I'm pretty sure it wasn't in Micro Adventurer either, but it might have been in something like Computer Gamer or somesuch. I know I'm not imagining it as there are others who remember seeing them, but no one remembers where and no one has been able to track them down so far.
Richard H.
Memories of Telecomsoft

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Wed May 23, 2007 7:43 am

Quite. I still have my bug reports from back then, and I'm always having a go at the 3D system that breaks apart, allows characters to walk through solid walls, etc. I also had a go at the strategic elements within the game, which were dubious to say the least!

The thing that really annoyed me was when I mocked up a diagram of how to use the mouse in the game, and Domark went ahead and published the diagram I created, rather than get someone with the right tools to drew a 'proper' version!
Celebaglar wrote: I suppose the game might have got away with it if it didn't have such a high standard to live up to, but anything with "Mike Singleton" in the credits and "Lords of Midnight" in the title was going to generate higher expectations than your average release, specially as people had been waiting 10 years for another game in the series.

Last I heard Mike still hadn't completely written off the possibility of doing Eye of the Moon one day...
Richard H.
Memories of Telecomsoft

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed May 23, 2007 8:14 am

rainbird rich wrote:Quite. I still have my bug reports from back then, and I'm always having a go at the 3D system that breaks apart, allows characters to walk through solid walls, etc. I also had a go at the strategic elements within the game, which were dubious to say the least!
In all fairness all of the LOM games had flaws from a strategic POV, but at least LOM and DDR had the excuse of limited resources. In both games the enemy had a tendency to commit suicide and both games had simple strategies you could use to win the game every time.

The Citadel suffered from the same problem: once you knew how, winning was a stroll in the park.
The thing that really annoyed me was when I mocked up a diagram of how to use the mouse in the game, and Domark went ahead and published the diagram I created, rather than get someone with the right tools to drew a 'proper' version!
That sums up the lack of polish the game suffered from. You have to wonder how The Citadel would have played with a decent control system and some of the rough edges smoothed out. I still think the basic concept had plenty of mileage.

Celebaglar

Post by Celebaglar » Wed May 23, 2007 9:25 am

rainbird rich wrote:I did end up working on LOM III (bug testing and writing the manual) but have to admit that I was hugely critical of it and disappointed in the end result.
Aha - I thought you sounded familiar, Mr Majere. :wink:

rainbird rich

Post by rainbird rich » Wed May 23, 2007 9:55 am

Celebaglar wrote:
rainbird rich wrote:I did end up working on LOM III (bug testing and writing the manual) but have to admit that I was hugely critical of it and disappointed in the end result.
Aha - I thought you sounded familiar, Mr Majere. :wink:
Yes, 'tis me - Mr Majere! ;-)

I've not had the time to have a proper go at the online version yet - life and work simply too busy! :-(
Richard H.
Memories of Telecomsoft