Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:58 pm

Even rereading through the thread I can't really find anything that is worth even considering reporting.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:07 pm

We are all grown ups (I assume) but we are all obviously different and have differing views and tolerances.
I know people that will not swear - ever and get quite upset when others do, especially if aimed at them (My wife being one). So it is no surprise that swearing in a public forum or name calling will result in posts being reported. Personally I couldn't give a toss if the F word is used by adults (in moderation) and in context, but I am not everyone.
The swear filter is there for a reason and because of that I will go through this thread (and another one that was reported) to adjust the swear words. Please don't be angry about it - it's a forum rule not me being Hitler.
As for the throwing around of insults - can we all please be a little more thoughtful before posting them? Someone else's view is just that, their view. It doesn't mean they are arseholes, feckwits etc. Argue a point - it's been going fine the majority of the time here! outdated_gamer loves his PC gaming, isn't a pirate but agrees with piracy - great! Argue the point without the name calling (although I'll point out that he didn't report the post).

Please - think of the children (or the bloke that makes loads of them :lol: ) and give me a break from the frigging reports.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:12 pm

markopoloman wrote:We are all grown ups (I assume) but we are all obviously different and have differing views and tolerances.
I know people that will not swear - ever and get quite upset when others do, especially if aimed at them (My wife being one). So it is no surprise that swearing in a public forum or name calling will result in posts being reported. Personally I couldn't give a toss if the F word is used by adults (in moderation) and in context, but I am not everyone.
The swear filter is there for a reason and because of that I will go through this thread (and another one that was reported) to adjust the swear words. Please don't be angry about it - it's a forum rule not me being Hitler.
As for the throwing around of insults - can we all please be a little more thoughtful before posting them? Someone else's view is just that, their view. It doesn't mean they are arseholes, feckwits etc. Argue a point - it's been going fine the majority of the time here! outdated_gamer loves his PC gaming, isn't a pirate but agrees with piracy - great! Argue the point without the name calling (although I'll point out that he didn't report the post).

Please - think of the children (or the bloke that makes loads of them :lol: ) and give me a break from the frigging reports.
Yes,but what do you think of piracy :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Well, when I had a C64 I'd say 50% of my games were pirated (out of about 400). My Amiga days - probably 50% again were pirated.
PC gaming (the BIG subject here) - I'd say that early 90's to early 00's 75% was pirated - that was mainly down to the people I was hanging around with at the time tbh. But from then onwards my patch came off and my gaming pirate hat was tossed overboard. I'm proud to say as a reformed pirate that I have not downloaded (pirated) a PC game in over 10 years.
I always used to look at it like this - I will buy as many games as I can afford but if I run out of funds and my chums were playing something, I'd grab a copy. Now with PC gaming and Steam sales/Greenman Gaming sales/Humble Bundles etc. and the fact that I can afford to spend more, piracy is not worth it.
Does that mean if Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo were to do the same as say, Steam or Humblebundle they would reduce or close to wipe out piracy? Nope. There are too many people out there that copy a game just because they can and no matter what anyone does, they will never stop it.
To me, 90% of the problem is down to price and affordability. Steam is the proof.
I'll add that although there has been a theme of 'PC gamers are pirates' going on here, I don't think that is anything like as bad now as it used to be. None of my friends download pirated games anymore.

stvd

Post by stvd » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:37 pm

markopoloman wrote:We are all grown ups (I assume) but we are all obviously different and have differing views and tolerances.
I think the problems arise when those differing views are those of the mods.
One person states their opinion, they get banned.
Another person insults another, it's ignored.

Everyone has to be treated the same.
Or at least make it look like they are. :idea:

Anyway, I pirated when I had my Spectrum (as did 95% of folk). Don't think it affected that market hugely.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 pm

stvd wrote:

Well, I'd love to see every reported incident as the same and ignore the rest of the thread and any context used - then just ban everyone that breaks a rule. But I don't as I really don't think all of these 'opinion/insult' posts are the same. Yes Beans was out of order and if he were to continue with that type of post then yes, he would be booted for however long is needed. If you are comparing this to Koopa42's post, they are not the same. Maybe us mods are rubbish in some people eyes but we are not full time employees here, not graduates of Modding school and not any different to the rest of you. What we do have is a group of 'adults' that simply cannot survive just one day without throwing custard pies at each other or poking their tongues out - or even worse, use a middle finger. There are only 3 mods here - me, Darran and psj. Darran is busy with the mag, psj deals with lots of spam and post modding and I seem to be the one getting the 'ooh, he's an unfair nasty man' crap. So, to finish off, I will continue modding as I have dome for a pretty long time, will take on peoples views and adjust as needed. But if I don't do 'exactly' the same to one offender as another - it's either due to bad memory or I've seen something different. I do not take sides and I do not favour anyone.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:08 pm

stvd wrote:

Anyway, I pirated when I had my Spectrum (as did 95% of folk). Don't think it affected that market hugely.
I have noticed this too, I have seen worse than koopas post on here go unpunished. I won't go into detail, but still, very odd.

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:10 pm

crusto wrote:
stvd wrote:

I have noticed this too, I have seen worse than koopas post on here go unpunished. I won't go into detail, but still, very odd.
Well, I'd love to see every reported incident as the same and ignore the rest of the thread and any context used - then just ban everyone that breaks a rule. But I don't as I really don't think all of these 'opinion/insult' posts are the same. Yes Beans was out of order and if he were to continue with that type of post then yes, he would be booted for however long is needed. If you are comparing this to Koopa42's post, they are not the same. Maybe us mods are rubbish in some people eyes but we are not full time employees here, not graduates of Modding school and not any different to the rest of you. What we do have is a group of 'adults' that simply cannot survive just one day without throwing custard pies at each other or poking their tongues out - or even worse, use a middle finger. There are only 3 mods here - me, Darran and psj. Darran is busy with the mag, psj deals with lots of spam and post modding and I seem to be the one getting the 'ooh, he's an unfair nasty man' crap. So, to finish off, I will continue modding as I have dome for a pretty long time, will take on peoples views and adjust as needed. But if I don't do 'exactly' the same to one offender as another - it's either due to bad memory or I've seen something different. I do not take sides and I do not favour anyone.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:30 pm

I've already read that :wink:

Eat your nans pants

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:23 am

I didn't even realise there was a report button. :oops:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:31 pm

Good! I wish it wasnt there at all!

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:41 pm

PostieDoc wrote:I didn't even realise there was a report button. :oops:
I've heard of it but have no idea where it is! :lol: I feel like I'm missing out on the fun :D
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:15 pm

You should both try reporting yourselves, I have. It's great!

Eat your nans pants

Analog

Post by Analog » Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:35 pm

what about if a mod was to report themselves? would that cause some sort of forum inception?

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:47 am

Thought it might be fun to post a collection of correct predictions...needless to say I was horrendously wrong with most of mine, although I was PART right about Fallout 4 being announced (although I did say it wouldn't be released until 2016) and I suppose I was right about the Wii U winding down release wise.

Some of the other correct predictions (in case I miss any, I'll preface this with "I WON'T LIST THEM ALL, THOUGH!")

DPrinny: "PS4 will continue to sell well despite having no games of note"
"Half life 3 will not be shown"
"More new Zelda footage"

The Beans: "Lego Dr Who"

c0nfu53d: "I think the Vita will have a few new physical releases this year but not many."

ALK: "DS games are added to the Wii U Virtual Console"
"Nintendo confirm the Wii U's successor will be revealed at E3 2016"

Sal Feena: "Elite Dangerous for PS4/XBOne" (Well...part right!)
"Devil's Third will be a hilariously shoddy mess, rather than the Second Coming Itagaki groupies are hoping for."

General Opulence: "PS4 Project Morpheus doesn't get released in 2015 "