Gaming predictions for 2015

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:21 pm

lets put this to bed right now.

Something like Piracy can't be neutral, its simply not possible.

So the simple question from me to you is this. Is piracy good for the Industry yes or no.

No crap, just a simple yes or no. I say NO.

User avatar
gman72
Posts: 8018
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:41 pm
Location: UK. Norfolk

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm going to say NO...
But if it turns out piracy is good for the industry then it rewrites everything I've ever read or watched or been told about the software industry... And also what's the point of anti piracy devices in software like DRM or looking back somewhat things like Lenslock etc?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:43 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:because 1. if the burgers outside continue to be available for free they have no need to actually buy them.

Those freebie examples from supermarkets are just that, ataster, the equivalent of a game Demo. To get the full thing you need to buy it.

and 2. radio is again a little taster that you have no control over, you can only lieten to it when the radio decides.

Neither of those are comparable to full reatail games and music being pirated.
Sure, but we're just talking analogies here. I could have dismissed your argument out of hand on the basis that you can't clone a burger for free and there's little kudos in owning a genuine Burger King burger, but I chose to run with it.

Anyway, the fact remains that giving something away is a commonly used advertising tactic. Piracy is probably not something most companies would choose, although a few musicians have been known to distribute their own bootlegs, but the effect should work much the same.
" we can't rely on common sense " what complete nonsnse. common sense is what makes most of us make rational decsions, not surprised you claim to not know know what it is.
I'm sure you do, but many things in life are counter-intuitive. Had you ever studied quantum mechanics, relativity, economics, probability, the user interface of MS Office or indeed any subject where you had to pretty much discard your most basic assumptions, you'd probably appreciate that a bit better.

Still, the fact remains that researchers have found that people who pirate a lot of music still tend to buy the stuff that they like the most. That's a positive effect of piracy that, to some extent, may offset some of the negative ones.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Thats actually true, I know a lot of people who pirate music who still buy albums. however anyone I know who got pirate games for a platform only played exclusively pirate games.

The industry would be better off without piracy, there is no argument.

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:49 pm

Anyway if you want to pirate games then go ahead, just don't try and justify it to those of us who know better.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:57 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Anyway if you want to pirate games then go ahead, just don't try and justify it to those of us who know better.
Stop being an arse.

I said before that piracy was never morally excusable, and I'd think it abundantly clear that I don't practice it.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Piracy is the devil
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Anyway if you want to pirate games then go ahead, just don't try and justify it to those of us who know better.
Stop being an arse.

I said before that piracy was never morally excusable, and I'd think it abundantly clear that I don't practice it.
You certainly seem to extremely defensive about it.

You claim its morally wrong, yet say it does not hurt the industry, in fact you think it can help. Thats some conflicting opinions right there.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:13 pm

I predict that all triple A titles this year will be offered for free for the first two months of release, in order to stimulate sales later on.

:P
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by RodimusPrime » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:15 pm

crusto wrote:I predict that all triple A titles this year will be offered for free for the first two months of release, in order to stimulate sales later on.

:P

What a great idea. have you seen the sales of the XBLA and PSN title skyrocket right after they have been given away for free.

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:21 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Anyway if you want to pirate games then go ahead, just don't try and justify it to those of us who know better.
Stop being an arse.

I said before that piracy was never morally excusable, and I'd think it abundantly clear that I don't practice it.
You certainly seem to extremely defensive about it.

You claim its morally wrong, yet say it does not hurt the industry, in fact you think it can help. Thats some conflicting opinions right there.
What's conflicting? It's morally wrong, because it's taking someone's work without permission, i.e. stealing.

Whether the industry benefits or loses financially is irrelevant to the moral dimension. That the arms industry benefited immensely from the Iraq war doesn't make that any more defensible, by way of analogy.

As for what the actual effect on the games industry is, I really can't say for sure; there simply isn't the research out there to say one way or another. However, it seems naive in the extreme to leap to the conclusion that they want us to that piracy is losing sales and killing platforms.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Anyway if you want to pirate games then go ahead, just don't try and justify it to those of us who know better.
Stop being an arse.

I said before that piracy was never morally excusable, and I'd think it abundantly clear that I don't practice it.
Like Rodimus, the only time I pirated was on my CPC, and for the same reasons. I honestly havent done it since and can't see a single benefit to the gaming industry if I did.

That said though, I think the industry could do more to discourage it in terms of pricing, incentives etc. although it's arguably better now than the last 2 gens. I can see why people do it, but dont agree with it at all.
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:31 pm

crusto wrote:
Matt_B wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Anyway if you want to pirate games then go ahead, just don't try and justify it to those of us who know better.
Stop being an arse.

I said before that piracy was never morally excusable, and I'd think it abundantly clear that I don't practice it.
Like Rodimus, the only time I pirated was on my CPC, and for the same reasons. I honestly havent done it since and can't see a single benefit to the gaming industry if I did.
So, you never pirated a game that you liked so much you decided to buy it, or perhaps its sequel? I know I certainly did a few times.

Nowadays, I'd probably try the demo if I wasn't sure about a game, but it was rarely an option back then.

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by crusto » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:37 pm

100% correct, not a sausage since my CPC days. And to be honest I didn't pirate many then either. I went from CPC to Master System so the option wasn't there anyway. Had plenty of opportunities since then, took none. I just don't agree with it and would rather pay.

It's the same with music, all my iPod music is either a direct backup of CD's I have bought over the years or has been purchased via iTunes. I'm probably too straight laced tbh :lol:

Edit: I heavily relied on mag reviews back in the day before buying anything.
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
Matt_B
Posts: 5448
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:30 am
Location: 5 minutes from the beach, 30 seconds from the pub

Re: Gaming predictions for 2015

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:44 pm

crusto wrote:100% correct, not a sausage since my CPC days. And to be honest I didn't pirate many then either. I went from CPC to Master System so the option wasn't there anyway. Had plenty of opportunities since then, took none. I just don't agree with it and would rather pay.

It's the same with music, all my iPod music is either a direct backup of CD's I have bought over the years or has been purchased via iTunes. I'm probably too straight laced tbh :lol:

Edit: I heavily relied on mag reviews back in the day before buying anything.
You'd pretty much be the poster boy for the idea that reformed pirates can be amongst the best customers then.

Of course, not all pirates are eventually going to mend their ways.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests