Eight bit animation simulation for Retro Gamer Magazine

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SCALEBACK

Eight bit animation simulation for Retro Gamer Magazine

Post by SCALEBACK » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:28 pm

How many pages of code would the graphics and animation havetaken to do on this?
I know it's all realistic 3D highly detailed graphics these days but what did you expect for a simulation of Sinclair computer style animation?

Antiriad2097

Re: Eight bit animation simulation for Retro Gamer Magazine

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 am

Nurse! It's happening again.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:18 am

It's ok, I see it too!

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:35 am

what're you on about?

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:54 am

Folks, I think with Scaley's posts you're given a puzzle and you've got to apply some brainwork and fill in the blanks. I humbly offer my solution to the current puzzle as follows ...

The "Retro Gamer Magazine" in the thread title refers to the digital version, which I'm assuming features animated page turning so it looks like you're reading a real magazine rather than just a basic pdf document or something.

It therefore follows that the question asked is how much code would it have taken back in the day on 8bit machines to achieve the same effect.

I hope this helps.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:29 am

The Beans wrote:Folks, I think with Scaley's posts you're given a puzzle and you've got to apply some brainwork and fill in the blanks. I humbly offer my solution to the current puzzle as follows ...

The "Retro Gamer Magazine" in the thread title refers to the digital version, which I'm assuming features animated page turning so it looks like you're reading a real magazine rather than just a basic pdf document or something.
Wrong.
I animated it in photo/imaging editing software which also lets you do animation, hence the lack of hundred per cent accuracy. I also did the music myself and combined them in video editing software.
I'm NOT a troll, just a bit weird. Hence this sequence:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OejTZRSprcI
The above sequence (the birds aren'r chickens, they're eagles and they're holding cans of Kronenbourg 1664. It was originally going to be part of a full length weird, psychedelic. lager themed video that never really got off the ground like my 80s themed one (I've still got a few early sequences on external hard drive for possible use another time somewhere). My first attempt was just purely Spectrum based but had no sound.
That''s what Ilike about being an independent hobbyist, I do the videos and music I want and do them MY way with the only limits and restrictions being placed by the software I use and I don't even have to worry about budgets ans schedules either. The premise is that it was based on the principal of a lone hobbyist spending a few hours a night over a few days or weeks to knock up a decent selling game and the Sinclairs were my most used ones back in the '80s.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:47 am

Is this the new DLC for The Evil Within? It feels like it.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:09 am

Even after the explanation, it makes no sense to me at all.
Luckily, I don't care either.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:45 am

Instead of eagles, shouldn't you be using loons? I know I've just been laughing like one for some reason. Seriously, thanks for cheering me up today when it's so grey and miserable outside.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 am

Megamixer wrote:Instead of eagles, shouldn't you be using loons? I know I've just been laughing like one for some reason. Seriously, thanks for cheering me up today when it's so grey and miserable outside.
There were no loons in the clip art I used.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:12 am

Megamixer wrote:Instead of eagles, shouldn't you be using loons? I know I've just been laughing like one for some reason. Seriously, thanks for cheering me up today when it's so grey and miserable outside.
Bit of a problem, I needed them to be in the colours of Kronenbourg 1664 (my lager of choice) and hence teir name, the Kronenbourds (the characters have since had a redesign). The Can can sequence was originally going to be part of a sequence in a lage themed/weird/psychedelic animation I was working on but never got off the ground.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:44 am

If SCALEBACK could combine all his projects that never got fully off the ground into one uber-project I think he might just be able to change the world as we know it.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 pm

gman72 wrote:If SCALEBACK could combine all his projects that never got fully off the ground into one uber-project I think he might just be able to change the world as we know it.
You're talking about a right load of unused material there. Some I might use, some might get deleted.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:29 pm

From time to time the internets throws up a bot that's slightly smarter than the other bots and as it struggles towards full consciousness it desperately tries to make contact with humanity before it fades back into dumb binary. Could we be seeing that very thing happening right here? I think we could!
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

SCALEBACK

Post by SCALEBACK » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:58 pm

The Beans wrote:From time to time the internets throws up a bot that's slightly smarter than the other bots and as it struggles towards full consciousness it desperately tries to make contact with humanity before it fades back into dumb binary. Could we be seeing that very thing happening right here? I think we could!
No.
I'm NOT a bot, Spammer, WUM or troll. Just misunderstood and a bit weird.
What did you expect for a Sinclair animation simulation? Toy Story style graphics and animation?