My JAMMA cab

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

My JAMMA cab

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:46 am

Finally, I own a working 6 button JAMMA cab with solid type sticks running an official SFIIce board as well as a coinops 6 xbox. After over a week of learning techno gubbins from scratch on the fly? It's at a level of play that I wanted it to be. Proper holy grail type gaming right there for me.

These pics are to show some of the gubbins. I bridged the connections and also learnt what bridging connection means. I also switched out some switches that meant switching some switches, I also learned that you can switch switches with new switches.

You can read more about my JAMMA journey here but as always don't click on the link if you don't like swearing and/or RP in general:

http://www.rp2mp.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 398#p29398

Combo-Breaker

Re: My JAMMA cab

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 pm

Nice! SF II is so awesome.

Two things:

1) Does anyone know where to get these thing repaired in the West Midlands?
2) Where could I get a flat back cabinet from? I can't get mine through the gap at the top of the stairs.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:33 pm

I really like how you switch between a genuine board and the Xbox. I have no idea how hard that was for you to do but I like the idea indeed :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:45 pm

No-one fixes them anymore (from what I can tell) but the tech guys on JAMMA+ are unbeatable IMO as anyone who can walk me through what I've done with the cab? Deserve a medal. I knew there would be gubb involved so spent £30 on basic electrical set (screw drivers, multimeter, wire stripper etc) and although I've learned that for all the greatness of having a cab? It's an unforgiving thing and any part can go at anytime without warning and costly stuff too :? It's kinda freaking me out considering I spent £100 on my SFIIce PCB and it could just go boom for no reason at anytime because it can.

Now if you excuse me I'm going back to playing Super Street Fighter II the new challengers 8) after playing Wrestlefest all afternoon.

ps.

I've had my first look at coinops 6 as a system today ... it includes a LOT of home system titles :o everything from Mariokart on the SNES to Barbarian on the Speccy!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:49 pm

Koops! :D Looking good! Your tech explanations come across beautifully :lol: Wish i'd got room for a full cab but i'm happy just to own a bartop.
Combo-Breaker wrote:Nice! SF II is so awesome.

1) Does anyone know where to get these thing repaired in the West Midlands?
Yeah, get in touch with Vintage Gamer (Colleygate, Cradley Heath.) They have a free to play arcade in the backroom and Jamie refurbishes cabs ready for sale. Jamie is deffo the guy to talk to, he's a good lad and his prices are reasonable, in my experience.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vintage- ... 8210652854
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:54 pm

Top stuff, mate. Thanks a bunch! :D

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:02 pm

Combo-Breaker wrote:Top stuff, mate. Thanks a bunch! :D
No worries. Nick owns VG and Jamie owns Fix it Geek, the computer shop in there (they shop share) but they have a symbiotic relationship from what i can tell. They'll sort you out between them mate.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Top stuff. I don't suppose you know what cabs they've got for sale?

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:12 pm

Combo-Breaker wrote:Top stuff. I don't suppose you know what cabs they've got for sale?
Haven't been in for about a month and cabs come in and go out intermittently. Best off giving them a ring/email and see what's in. They're always happy to chat....i usually do go for 10 minutes and stay a couple of hours :lol:

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:54 pm

Haha! I might pop over there on Friday. Thanks for the info - massively appreciated, mate! :wink:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:02 pm

LOL access to all the games I could ever want, all the Street Fighters, all the 3D stuff, top end this and bottom end that ..... and what do I spend the last hour playing? Pocket Gal :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: what an age we live in and god bless them crazy japs.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:44 pm

That looks ace, nice job.
All you need to do now is to screw on one of those metal ash trays, spill some coke on the buttons, and leave it until it's proper sticky for that authentic pub arcade machine feel. It'd help if you stick some bubble gum underneath it too.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:13 am

That's a fab cab! Nice work, although you lost me with some of the tech jargon :lol:

I have a 60 in 1 jamma with the early 80s classics (like to say I built it but a clever dude around the corner made it for me- I am not tech savvy at all). Would love a companion one with SFII and a few further more recent classics in.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:13 am

Yeah I'm loving it but had hoped not to have to do any more tech. It looks like I am going to have to do something called a 'pad hack' (or summit like that) on the xbox to JAMMA board so that 1v1 fighters work :(

There are known issues with the complex moves just not working :( What with PCBs being a bit sketchy at best? I want to protect my SFIIce board as much as possible and use the xbox for daily play were as have the occasional proper razz on the SFIIce board when my mate comes round.

Tellah

Post by Tellah » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:17 pm

I have the same cab 8). It was striped down when I got it - over 10 years ago now - so there's no jamma harness inside, but I loved the shape and design... it's got a little PC in there, i-pac, Hantarex open frame VGA monitor, SLG3000, mars coin mech. A nice MALA frontend to mame I put together, with preview video of the game running inside a picture of the cabinet.