Your most exciting time in gaming

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Re: Your most exciting time in gaming

Post by psj3809 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:09 pm

useyournightvision wrote:Sixth gen easily.
So many amazing games and systems.
Yet you join a retro games forum to say that ? ;)

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:24 pm

the arcades from the mid 80's
moving to up to the mighty Amiga from the brilliant c64
the 360 and xbox live

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:58 pm

Either the mid-late 90's (loved Playstation, Saturn and arcade games of this era) or owning a PS2 + Gamecube when they current.

Speaking about the latter, there were so many amazing games that blew me away in this period such as GTA San Andreas, Yakuza 1 + 2, Tales of Symphonia, Paper Mario TTYD, Soul Calibur III, Tekken Tag, Capcom Vs SNK 2 etc. etc. Most of the games on my shelf that are in the "never get rid of under any circumstances" category are from these consoles. Handheld gaming in this time was also particularly exciting. The period I particularly remember getting hyped about was the transition between the GBA and DS (with the PSP also on the scene) and also the craziness surrounding the launch of the Wii. Watching E3/TGS trailer showreels for stuff like Final Fantasy III, Smash Bros. Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports etc. was amazing. Not so amazing was wondering how on earth to find the cash for all these games across various platforms! PS2 still had loads of quality games (especially RPGs) being released for it at this time so I couldn't leave that console behind either.

I still love gaming but I'm not yet hyped for the current gen. Between having so much stuff for the PS3 that still needs playing and my interest in continuing to pick up retro stuff, I just can't justify shelling out for a new generation of hardware + games. I think the leap from the 32bit console to the PS2/Xbox/GC era was quite significant and moving from those machines to the PS3/360 era with beautiful graphics, digital stuff etc. was also worth moving on for. Current gen doesn't offer me a similar leap in order to really hook me but saying that, I'd be right in there if I had less to play on older systems.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Elaine

Post by Elaine » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:00 pm

I'd say now if it wasn't for the lack of time to play - at least compared to the past.

C64-Amiga-arcades (which for me would be... 1986-1993?) was also great.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Early speccy years from 1983 to 1986 was first, but the ushering in of the PSOne during the mid nineties was a major landmark which made gaming exciting again for me. No other period has come close since.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:00 pm

The whole of 90s and the early to mid 2000s. I wasn't much active in the 80s because I was still too young but the 90s seemed like a very exciting time for gaming to me. My interest in modern gaming declined a bit in the recent few years (the "HD" generation and recent times) but I always did gaming on the PC and sticked to more "niche" games, with some interest towards the "mainstream" ones (mostly due to graphics).

Misery

Post by Misery » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:07 pm

If talking purely about console games, it'd be the NES and SNES era. Alot of stuff after that, and leading all the way into the Wii/360/PS3 era (and it's looking to stay that way in this current set of consoles), simply never held my attention, or there just werent enough to choose from on a given console. The PS2 not counting for me, due to absolute and total hatred, as I seriously dont care how large it's library is.

If not just about consoles, well, I'd surely still say the NES/SNES era, but I'd also say right now, since the number of games I have access to has gotten seriously stupid with the PC. I also really liked DOS-era computer gaming in general. There isnt much that gets me feeling more nostalgic than the old 4-color CGA palettes (one was white/teal/magenta/black, the other was orange/red/green/black, both are permanently burned into my memory), or the distinctive look of VGA graphics a bit later on. Ah, I miss those days... I liked DOS. It did what you told it.

necronom

Post by necronom » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:23 am

The most exciting time was when it was all new and changing constantly, so about '82 - '94 I'd say was the most exciting.

Before then it was exciting, but I wasn't being blown away by it. It was more interesting than exciting. After '94 it was mainly incremental updates on what we had before with better graphics and better 3D.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:56 pm

For me 1989 until 1999. So many great games, and I had lots of free time to play them
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Scratch_Porkings

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:40 pm

necronom wrote:. After '94 it was mainly incremental updates on what we had before with better graphics and better 3D.
Yea I agree, it's hard to get excited About the 'step up ' from 360 to xbone. It is just resolution and framerate. I am still excited I suppose but not in the same way.
Scott me up beamie!

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:54 pm

koopa42 wrote:The mid 90's became a blur what with finding booze, girls and independence .... not necessarily in that order. There is actually a void in my gaming exclusively filled with aforementioned things.
Ha ha, same with me from about 1998 when I left school until about 2003 when I started re-buying retro stuff. Although actually I think it was mostly just booze I found!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:58 pm

koopa42 wrote:
The Beans wrote:From the release of the 360 onwards really. This is easily the most enjoyable time I've ever had in gaming. The sheer availability of it all! The routinely high quality of everything! From awesome indie games to big budget blockbusters across all platforms! All the genres, nothing has gone away! Cheap as cheaps too. :D

If I had to say something retro I'd go with my Spectrum days. A very enjoyable time. Loved it to bits. But nothihg like as good as nowadays if I'm honest. Sorry retroheads but there it is. As much as I like playing the stuff from the past from time to time, modern gaming is currently frickin awesome and has been for a good while.
Good call.

If I had of seen what the bottom pic woul have become when I was 8? I would have exploded and just sort of oozed about.
Anyone else prefer the Speccy graphics? Yes I know the other one is much better graphically etc., but it's intended to look real and completely fails. The Speccy graphics
are much more in keeping with the original pictures in the book. Sometimes more really is less.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:01 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Anyone else prefer the Speccy graphics?
Not personally no.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:04 pm

I love the Speccy with sex love but Skyrim is/looks better than every game available on it.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:28 pm

I like to play games that look like games. Skyrim tries to play as though it's real life, and fails. Trying to make a game look better than current technology can handle is commendable, but doesn't work; and when technology comes along which CAN do it properly and it will really be shown up. I'm thinking of stuff like many of the early 3d games which wowed people at the time, but now look really ropey. Funnily enough, Skyrim kinda gives me motion sickness like some of the early 3D games did

This is purely commenting on graphics and not the gameplay, and is my own personal opinion, so I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this one!
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"