Wii Hidden Gems

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: Wii Hidden Gems

Post by samhain81 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:06 am

I love the Wii, got about 120(retail) games for it.

A couple of notable games for me would be

Emergency Heroes - An Arcade-style racing game with a decent story, and manga/cel shaded style art to it. Quite the hidden gem, even more so with it being fairly cheap to pick up.

Obscure 2 - A great Horror co-op game, which follows on loosely from the events of the first game. I know this saw a psp release, but don't remember if it was released elsewhere.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:08 am

samhain81 wrote: Obscure 2 - A great Horror co-op game, which follows on loosely from the events of the first game. I know this saw a psp release, but don't remember if it was released elsewhere.
PS2 and original Xbox as well I believe. I know I used to have the PS2 version.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 am

One not mentioned so far is Kororinpa which i'd highly recommend.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:18 pm

Megamixer wrote:
samhain81 wrote: Obscure 2 - A great Horror co-op game, which follows on loosely from the events of the first game. I know this saw a psp release, but don't remember if it was released elsewhere.
PS2 and original Xbox as well I believe. I know I used to have the PS2 version.
The PS2 got the second game but it didn't get a Xbox release. I think its also now got a PC release. I've not gotten very far into the second game for some reason. I loved the first one but this game just hasn't "clicked" with me yet...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:46 pm

Didnt the PSP get it too?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:59 pm

Obscure but good Wii games...

Fragile Dreams - Namco

The Calling - Hudsonsoft

Fishing Master - Hudsonsoft

Legend Of Sayuki - 505

Sakura Wars - NIS America (Nokgod would love this one)

A Shadows Tale (Lost in Shadow) - Hudsonsoft

Good luck hunting some of these gems down :wink:

Im a cretin.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:08 pm

goldenone wrote:One not mentioned so far is Kororinpa which i'd highly recommend.

This.

Kororinpa is magnificent and a showcase of the Wii tilt sensitivity.

The sequel is hard to find - called Marble Balance Challenge it has a ton more content (the original is a bit light on the level count). The physics have been made a bit more forgiving at the start so experts will find it a bit annoying but you can unlock a custom ball which addresses that.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:25 pm

gman72 wrote:Sakura Wars - NIS America (Nokgod would love this one)
Indeed! :) Its been on my PS2 list for a while now. Only got a NTSC release but its a nice big box version:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sakura-Wars-So- ... 2341e53e61

On topic, try Pandora's Tower.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:15 pm

Zack and Wiki wasnt widely publicised , was a great little game.
The Munchables for younger kids - my boy still has a nostalgia blast on it every now and then too. A bit of a free roaming Pac Man em up.
Pretty much everything else ive ever played has been relatively well known stuff.

gunbladelad

Post by gunbladelad » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:37 pm

While they might be bigger-name games, Monster Hunter Tri is still an enjoyable enough game (although it's now overshadowed by MH3U on the 3DS & WiiU) - It was heavily advertised on launch though, but is very much a "love it or hate it" series. Bully Scholarship Edition is noted for being one of only a handful of Rockstar Games titles to be on the Wii as well.

For less-known games, I find it rather relaxing to play Endless Ocean, and Gottleib Pinball Classics is a great Pinball sim. The only other Wii title that I've played that's not well too known & is pretty good would be "The Conduit", a FPS game using the now standard sci-fi storyline of an alien invasion of earth with the player single-handedly fighting them all off.
Where logic won't work, I will

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:23 pm

What about Last Story I've got the Limited Edition box set but can't find the disc so not played it yet, a lot of people here have finished it and said its brilliant if slightly short.. Certainly obscure as the only copy I saw in the wild I own maybe on of the Wii's last released games

Also Data East collection is fab perfect conversions of Dragon Ninja and Two Crude Dudes
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Shinobi wrote:What about Last Story I've got the Limited Edition box set but can't find the disc so not played it yet, a lot of people here have finished it and said its brilliant if slightly short.. Certainly obscure as the only copy I saw in the wild I own maybe on of the Wii's last released games

Also Data East collection is fab perfect conversions of Dragon Ninja and Two Crude Dudes
The Last Story is a weird one as I wouldn't call it obscure but at the same time, copies are thin on the ground. Even regular editions are as scarce as the LE boxsets. Fantastic game though; one of my favourite JRPG's ever.

I was really looking forward to that Data East collection so I was pretty annoyed that it remained NTSC-only.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:52 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Shinobi wrote:What about Last Story I've got the Limited Edition box set but can't find the disc so not played it yet, a lot of people here have finished it and said its brilliant if slightly short.. Certainly obscure as the only copy I saw in the wild I own maybe on of the Wii's last released games

The Last Story is a weird one as I wouldn't call it obscure but at the same time, copies are thin on the ground. Even regular editions are as scarce as the LE boxsets. Fantastic game though; one of my favourite JRPG's ever.

I was really looking forward to that Data East collection so I was pretty annoyed that it remained NTSC-only.
Will have to fire Last Story up if you say its good as we both enjoy the same games.. I have a Twilight hacked Wii so I managed to get a copy of Data East collection working shame it never got a release here as the games it featured never received arcade perfect conversions
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"