Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:45 pm

As always the most interesting answers will appear in the magazine.

Kindest regards,
Darran

ArchaicKoala

Re: Discuss 135: Do you emulate and why do you do it?

Post by ArchaicKoala » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:00 pm

For me it often comes down to the fact that some games are just too expensive to buy these days (Earthbound for example) and so emulation is the only cheap option if you want to experience the title.
(I say cheap option as there of course Flash Carts available to allow you to play said titles on consoles)

Before I moved into my new flat and had a spare room for the consoles I used to emulate everything through my modded Wii. The easiness and general tidiness of playing all the classics through one system is also a major plus to emulation

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Sure i emulate. Everything from before the PS1. Mainly for space saving reasons... i hate having piles of computers, consoles and games everywhere. Although I may be getting a Retron5 so some more cart collecting will be the order of the day. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:20 pm

Yep, ZXDS + DSLite = awesome for me. Being able to carry around a portable Spectrum is great as the games are a tap or two away.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:25 pm

I very rarely emulate these days, except for maybe testing Homebrew. I much prefer the feel and experience of the real thing. Emulation is just a bit too "Diet Coke" for my taste.

necronom

Post by necronom » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:40 pm

For systems I don't own I emulate, or if I'm only having a quick go on a game, or I want to use save states. If I'm going to play a game for any decent length of time, I'll usually play on the real hardware if I can. It feels better to play on a real C64 or Spectrum, than on a PC.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:58 pm

Absolutely, I just don't have the time or the space to hoke out all the old original consoles and wires & stuff.

Having said that I've recently fallen in love with my spectrum 48k again, I just love those squishy keys & there's just something about the screeching loading noise that brings a big nostalgia blast.

But that's just me being indulgent, the only 2 systems I actually need are a modded original XBox and a cfw-hacked PSP for when I'm on the go, anything more modern that that is usually a bit lost on me anyway.

My moral compass is hazy. I'm no saint, but I'm generally against piracy so I tend to stick to games that I've actually bought at some point, or ones that it is pretty much impossible to obtain via other means.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Used to play the real thing, but now space and my games room taken over by small child it's emulation all the way.
Wish I'd done it earlier. Have a desktop PC and and Xbox 360 control pad and can play most games for most systems in one place.
I only play the real thing on Vectrex and Zx Spectrum - both have multi-cart/Divide type interfaces.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:45 pm

I am very much into emulation : the convenience, the immediacy, the .. well everything about it really. No, it's not quite the same as the real thing, and I will always say there is nothing quite like using the original machine but.. emulation is just so convenient. Everything all in one place, ready to go and NO DISK SWAPPING TO BE HAD*

*well there can be disk swapping, but it's VIRTUAL, so therefore it's not real**

**probably.
Last edited by ncf1 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:28 pm

r0jaws wrote:I very rarely emulate these days, except for maybe testing Homebrew. I much prefer the feel and experience of the real thing. Emulation is just a bit too "Diet Coke" for my taste.
This.

I use emulation to take screenshots, that is about as far as it goes. Got a Dingoo a few years back now and just never use it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 pm

I go as far as MAME for arcade games that haven't got home conversions but otherwise it has to be the original hardware. Legitimate digital re-releases have made it easier to play games without all the original hardware but there is so much more that needs to be made available again. Until that day, I can totally see why gamers emulate older systems but it's really not for me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:08 pm

Don't think I'm smart enough to 'hack' a machine to run emulators. If I have to ask I probably aren't :lol: I have my 60 in Arcade cab...these things are wonderful to give you that old arcade in one convenient spot. Would love a MAME cab down the track for the likes of Crazy Climber and other obscure games. Not only is it a space saver, but more reliable tech- I don't have the savvy to fix old electronics if they crap out.

But I do love MAME, and the concept of them is brilliant. It saves space and quite likely relationships to use emulators and not have rooms full of old stuff!
Ultimately it is much better playing the real thing, but it quite often is impractical.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Yes. Space,time,cost.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:33 pm

I do it for the sake of convenience but mostly because I need to take a lot of game screenshots and you just can't get the quality using a camera and a TV that you can by capturing a screen grab from an emulator.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:07 pm

I've used and loved emulators for yonks. But over the past couple of years I've been using the real thing more often than not. I get a shiver down my spine every time the loading music starts up on a C64 game!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/