11%
Don't like either
No votes

Total votes: 28

jdanddiet

Re: Predator 1 or Predator 2?

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:15 pm

Lions tigers bears oh my

Predator has arnie and a host of great characters (Jesse Ventura, sonny landham, Richard Chavez, Shane black)
But I never liked Carl weathers and the scene where his arm is shot off is a major gaffe.

Predator 2 for me edges it. Yes it has no arnie but the city is a great location and the chase at the end is great.

And it has Gary Busey. See above quote.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:46 pm

The first one is just a classic. It's a great film in it's own right but it's also a classic Arnie film as well with so many quotable lines. I still use variations of "I ain't got time to bleed" on a regular basis in real life for example :lol:

Predator 2 is also a great film but not as good. If it had Arnie again then it could have possibly been even better but as it is, it's a great sequel and I liked the city setting.

I don't think anybody would argue that Predators is the weakest of the main trio of movies in the series but I thought it was still a very solid movie. Going back to the roots of the original film with a jungle setting and some hard-ass characters was a great choice (after all the irritating teenagers/hopeless people of the Vs movies) and the action was enjoyable.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Predators is better than Predator 2.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:26 pm

I enjoy both 1 and 2 but 1 has the slight edge over 2 for me, I also enjoyed Predators but not the Alien V Predators films.
Splink!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:28 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:Predator 2 was good , but Predator is one of the best films ever, with some great characters. one-liners and a great deal of tension. Plus it features a mini-gun which has to be a massive plus.
This ^^^

The 3rd film, Predators, is rather good too.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:34 pm

I like predators too, because Danny Trejo. Machete rules! It's a good film

Eat your nans pants

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Agreed, Predators was an ace film.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Son_of_Shinobi

Post by Son_of_Shinobi » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:52 am

The original Predator for me.

It has the camaraderie (and occassioal bitchiness) between characters, fantastic and very memorable one-liners, the last 3rd act is fantastic and some of the effects are crazy cool - remember when you first saw Predator-O-Vision for the first time, and the moment it picks up the scorpion and you see it in its hand was awesome.

Predator 2 had some great ideas, the change of location was quite well thought out, the Alien easter-egg was cool, as was the scene in the refridgerator. The warring factions and the police caught up in the middle was also interesting, but for me, the cast of characters was poor. I liked Danny Glovers role, and was an interesting contrast to Arnie's. But, I can barely think of one, one liner for a start. If there were any, they certainly wern't memorable.

Oh and I absolutely detest and dislike Predators. It's such a tediously needless film, and the character played by Laurence Fishborne is so laughably hammy and retarded. It also suffers for some gaping plot holes and things that dont even begin to make sense. Thankfully, although Robert Rodriguez was tapped to make a Predators sequel, that is no longer happening, but it gets better yet - Shane Black who starred in the original and directed Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang / Iron Man 3, will be making a direct sequel to the original.

So, we can expect a Predator running around killing Father Christmas......which is nice.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 am

Is this even a question? It's Predator all the way. IF IT BLEEDS WE CAN KILL IT!!!!!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:31 am

I could maybe list 9 or 10 films better than Predator. I could probably list 100 better than Predator 2. So there you have it.

Predator 2 is an ace film though. Put uncut coke in a shoulder wound bloke and King Willie are just BOSS! Voodoo posse FTW.

scunny

Post by scunny » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:52 am

Not even a contest... Predator 1 is infinitely better!

Predator 2 I thought was pretty poor and would put it on the same level as AvP or some such.
It did let Bill Paxton complete his unique hat trick of being face to face with an Alien, a Terminator and a Predator though!

Predators was good I thought, especially when it used the music from the original.
XBL: RainMan 999
(Add me for some overwatch!)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:47 pm

Door swings both ways my ass
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:08 pm

koopa42 wrote:I could maybe list 9 or 10 films better than Predator. I could probably list 100 better than Predator 2. So there you have it.

Predator 2 is an ace film though. Put uncut coke in a shoulder wound bloke and King Willie are just BOSS! Voodoo posse FTW.

There is no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed............prepare yourself

such a badass line

dste

Post by dste » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:15 pm

Haven't properly watched Predator 2 in years but don't remember it being that bad.

Predator though is an absolute 80's classic film, could watch it any day of the week.

Predators I thought was ridiculously boring and Adrien Brody's Batman voice kept making me laugh.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
koopa42 wrote:I could maybe list 9 or 10 films better than Predator. I could probably list 100 better than Predator 2. So there you have it.

There is no stopping what can't be stopped, no killing what can't be killed............prepare yourself

such a badass line
This is dread man. truly dread