PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retrojc

PS3 Gaming is great, get on board yo

Post by retrojc » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:31 am

Accidentally, unintentionally I have a PS3 collection, of around 20 games. As most of us have a collection in some form and are also looking for some new games (in some cases obscure games) I figure this thread might be a nice idea to talk about rare, and must own PS3 games.
Last edited by retrojc on Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheDude18

Re: PS3 collecting

Post by TheDude18 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:29 am

I'm slowly but surely building up a collection of my own (around 40 or so games) but wouldn't have the foggiest regarding whats rare and whatnot. If your looking at keeping your collection for some time it maybe worth hoovering up some poor sellers or some naff games for the future. As I'm also collecting for the Wii I tend to pick up older games on the cheap.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:46 pm

I don't actively 'collect' as such but I have ended up with quite a few PS3 games purely because there is so much of interest to me on the system. The closest that I come to 'collecting' is when it comes to Nippon Ichi/Gust JRPG's because it's better to buy them now rather than later (something I learned with the smaller PS2 set). Primarily though, it's because I do actually want to play them so if they are naff then I will cut them loose. Anyway, this is my current collection...

Mostly NIS stuff, still got quite a few to pick up though. Both of the Xillia games are the 'Day 1' collector's editions.

Fighting games + both Bioshocks. MK is the 'Komplete' edition, Vampire Resurrection is my only current import and that Soul Calibur IV steelbook was a nightmare to get in good condition at a fair price.

Random stuff. F1 2013 and GTAIV are 'complete' editions (all DLC on the discs). Yakuza 4 steelbook set is another that was tricky to find.

More random stuff.

Some CE's. Some of these are pretty crap but I love artbooks. The Blazblue ones were quite cheap to buy new, Tekken was a GAME exclusive and I have no idea if the Arcana Heart 3 set has gained any value or not. MGS Legacy Collection was something else I picked up the other week as prices are already going up beyond the original RRP.

More CE's. Love the 'Tales' games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:33 pm

I have about 250, many bought very cheap however and around 50 PS+ games as well as about 30 download only games, so a lot! Was my fave last gen system.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Ive got around 25 games but I place little value in them as collectables. Last gen didnt cater for me to any great extent and mostly it didnt bother me either.

the1980gamer

Post by the1980gamer » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:52 pm

I have around 30 ps3 games now and I'm actively collecting for this system as the games are getting dirt cheap.
check out my youtube channel at, http://www.youtube.com/user/the1980gamer

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:13 pm

I've mainly gone after Sony exclusive games with a few third party games thrown in (especially as its region free, it made importing a doddle). I've picked up a few nice import games that cater to my taste including:

All the Ryu Ga Gotoku (Yakuza) games including Kenzan!, RGG 5 and Ishin which all never got a release outside of Japan. A damn shame too as all of them are excellent bar maybe Dead Souls but that has its moments.

EX Troopers - Its a Capcom game, cel shaded and is essentially an anime version of the first Lost Planet game. Its excellent, which makes it all the more disappointing that its Japan only.

Sengoku Musou 3 Z - An update of Samurai Warriors 3. The main difference being that its not a shambolic game performance wise this time. The original SW3 was Wii exclusive and runs like crap (especially on PAL consoles) so this update is excellent. Samurai Warriors 4 is technically far better though, and that got a Euro PS3 release.

Kamen Rider Battrider War 1&2 - Dynasty Warriors style Kamen Rider games (KR is sort of like Power Rangers in Japan, except on a bike). Neither are amazing games, but they are addictive and I found them really fun.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - Not a Japanese exclusive game, it did eventually get a PAL release complete with rubbish renaming of characters due to licensing issues and while its not a great fighter (it has a load of issues) since its last patch is still a fun little fighter. If your a fan of the Manga its well worth getting as the attention to detail in the characters, moves and backgrounds is staggering. All it needs is a next gen sequel to fix a few outstanding issues...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:18 am

Megamixer wrote:I don't actively 'collect' as such but I have ended up with quite a few PS3 games purely because there is so much of interest to me on the system. The closest that I come to 'collecting' is when it comes to Nippon Ichi/Gust JRPG's because it's better to buy them now rather than later (something I learned with the smaller PS2 set). Primarily though, it's because I do actually want to play them so if they are naff then I will cut them loose. Anyway, this is my current collection...

Mostly NIS stuff, still got quite a few to pick up though. Both of the Xillia games are the 'Day 1' collector's editions.
This is a lovely collection, and exactly the kind of thing I was hoping to see. NIS are releasing some more games this year which actually looks more interesting to me than normal. I don't collect those type of games (no reason in particular) mainly because the 40 hours they take to complete is a little too much for me in adult life.

however...Fairy Fencer F, Akiba's Trip Undead & Undre​ssed and Natural Doctrine all look very interesting. Also Arcana Heart 3: Love Max! Unsure if these are day one purchases for me though, I am a bit tight these days.

Worth looking here for more releases: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ds=PS3+NIS

I have been looking for a We are Tekken set in almost new condition for a long time. Still no luck for what I want to pay. I think the thing your collection shows is that the games you have bought you intend to play (or do!). I am in the same boat.

I'll photo my collection later today when the sun is out. I bought Resident Evil Revelations and Dark Souls original Lt Ed this week and pre-ordered Kingdom Hearts 3 HD on amazon. The only other game that I will preorder is Lego Batman 3 w/ mini figure.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:45 pm

retrojc wrote:however...Fairy Fencer F, Akiba's Trip Undead & Undre​ssed and Natural Doctrine all look very interesting. Also Arcana Heart 3: Love Max! Unsure if these are day one purchases for me though, I am a bit tight these days.
Yep, there are still several on the horizon to add to existing releases that I've missed so there are plenty for me to still pick up. Obviously they aren't the cheapest games either so it's not sensible to just order a load at once! I noticed that a possible new Ar Tonelico was recently released though the title only contains the 'Ar' bit (spiritual successor?).
retrojc wrote: I have been looking for a We are Tekken set in almost new condition for a long time. Still no luck for what I want to pay. I think the thing your collection shows is that the games you have bought you intend to play (or do!). I am in the same boat.
The curse of being a store exclusive I guess :( . I pre-ordered mine as soon as it was available because I love Tekken and thankfully Tag 2 turned out to be mind-blowingly good. The only problem is that the box is perhaps not that sturdy and the artbook is paperback i.e. easier to damage. That said, I've not looked at any other copies so I'm not clued up on how beat-up they are these days...

Does anybody know if the HD re-release of Kingdom Hearts 2 will come out over here? There's some other games on the disc again (as with the first collection) including what looks like the PSP game.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:46 pm

So this is my pretty humble PS3 collection, with around 20 games I'd like to add. Maybe next year. Also, I picked up Destiny today, it's all meh!

These are my collectors editions, yet to open the FFX lt ed or the Dark Souls Steelbook. They've both shot up in price so a little hesitant too, but I will do eventually. I like the lego games a lot, and am just looking to get Harry Potter Lt Eds, and Batman Lt ed to have them all, as such. Modern Warfare is not a game for me, not on this platform anyway so it was an accidental buy. Also Ketsui lt ed in there too.

General PS3 games, all standard releases. Not that many really, missing quite a few games that i'd like to pick up.

This is the old red label games, and imports. Only 2 imports tho.

Plenty of games I've yet to get hold of, most notably I'm looking to fill in the blanks; pick up the Resident Evil games for example, and Soul Calibur 4, Bioshock.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Yep, there are still several on the horizon to add to existing releases that I've missed so there are plenty for me to still pick up. Obviously they aren't the cheapest games either so it's not sensible to just order a load at once! I noticed that a possible new Ar Tonelico was recently released though the title only contains the 'Ar' bit (spiritual successor?).

The curse of being a store exclusive I guess :( . I pre-ordered mine as soon as it was available because I love Tekken and thankfully Tag 2 turned out to be mind-blowingly good. The only problem is that the box is perhaps not that sturdy and the artbook is paperback i.e. easier to damage. That said, I've not looked at any other copies so I'm not clued up on how beat-up they are these days...
yeah, they're not cheap at all. Not at all. I assume it was a successor, but I am not up on Ar games, in fact I've only played one. And Store exclusives are a bloody pain, some early game exclusives I remember for xbox games I haven't seen on ebay in years. :|

Megamixer wrote:
Does anybody know if the HD re-release of Kingdom Hearts 2 will come out over here? There's some other games on the disc again (as with the first collection) including what looks like the PSP game.
here? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingdom-Hearts- ... hearts+ps3

No idea if that confirms it though.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:01 pm

That's the one. Very attractive pre-order price too! It's nice that these versions are including the mixes that we didn't originally get in the PAL PS2 games.

Nice collection by the way; some games in there that I'm keen to get hold of at some point such as the FFX set, Kingdom Hearts HD etc. Too short on shelf space go crazy though so I'm always trying to cull what I already have across other consoles. Got rid of loads so far this year but there are too many amazing games in my PS1 and PS2 collections that I don't want to sell :lol:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:16 pm

I managed to get both FF and KH on pre-order from amazon for sub £40 the pair, was ridiculous. I am hoping to finish of this CE BS soon; I'm not a big fan of CEs that are bigger than the length of a standard blu ray case. KH2 should be a lovely set too! Was very happy with KH CE first time round.

I am short of shelf space too, however I won’t sell a game now unless its dire. the return on the spend is rarely worth it.

Looking to buy Deception IV next

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 am

not so much for collecting, but I'm betting retailers will be looking to dump a lot of PS3 stock this xmas or jan sales - will be on the look out for a few things then like Tales of Symphonia etc

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:07 pm

Timothy Lumsden wrote:not so much for collecting, but I'm betting retailers will be looking to dump a lot of PS3 stock this xmas or jan sales - will be on the look out for a few things then like Tales of Symphonia etc

That is a very good point, but my local stores get emptied over xmas, not kidding. I am sticking to my want list though, that's for sure.