Scotland independence - YES or NO - VOTE

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Post Reply

Independant Scotland?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:22 am

YES!
14
23%
NO!
37
62%
No Opinion
9
15%
 
Total votes: 60

User avatar
markopoloman
Posts: 11657
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Poole, Dorset

Scotland independence - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 am

With only 10 days to go, lets see how close we can get to the real outcome (not very I'd imagine as most of us aren't in Scotland).

I think it will be interesting to see where the English/Welsh/N.Irish stand on this and also those that are not part of the current Union.

If poss, have a good think about the breakup of the Union and if that is a good or bad thing rather than just hitting YES/NO/No Opinion.

Hopefully there will be some good discussion and debate over the next 10 days.... Oh, and be nice :)

The Poll will run for 9 days.......
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

User avatar
clarance
Posts: 2699
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm
Location: The Fens
Contact:

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by clarance » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:04 pm

If I was Scottish I would probably vote 'yes' - it's a very attractive proposition to try and mold an independant Scotland towards the scandinavian socialist model and to distance themselves from the seemingly London-centric policical agenda that the rest of us have to suffer from.

However if I, as an Englishman, had the vote I would certianly vote 'no' - to lose Scotland and it's left wing block of votes come the General election will be a minor disaster from a socialist point of view - and it will mean the southern right-wing power bloc will be even more prevelent and forced upon what's left of the Union.

So for this vote, as an English/British socialist, I vote NO.
Death may be your Santa Claus.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26634
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Yes, I'll dance.

But no to independence.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ulrich7ad
Posts: 62
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:44 am

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by ulrich7ad » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:38 pm

I voted no because I believe the Union still has legs but it needs major changes, not least an English parliament/assembly. Either way Scotland wins with proposed max devo in the case a no vote.

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 am
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by The Laird » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 pm

I am half Scottish and lived for a while too. If I still lived there I would be voting yes, Scotland is a very different country to England and so it just makes sense. The Scottish people should be able to decide what is best for them, not a bunch of mostly English people in London.

User avatar
Dave300
Posts: 897
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:29 am
Location: Leicester, UK.

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Dave300 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I heard an interesting comment in the news recently about some Scottish people voting Yes not necessarily because they wanted Scotland to become independent, but instead just to get away from corrupt/lazy/greedy politicians in Westminster. It's a shame England can't do that as well!

Personally, I think we're better together. Too much paperwork otherwise.
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26634
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Because the corrupt/greedy Scottish politicians are better because they work at it? I guess that's one thing you can honestly say about Salmond, he puts a fair bit of effort into staying in the limelight, whatever the cost. As long as he's alright, Jack.

Now we'll have more of them doing deals, sly backhanders between England and Scotland (as if there's not enough of that already). It just opens up new opportunities for these gits.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
rocky1980
Posts: 3303
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:24 am
Location: Bonnie Scotland

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:28 pm

just to get away from corrupt/lazy/greedy politicians in Westminster.
as a Scot I know people that are voting Yes for this reason.
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

User avatar
rossi46
Posts: 4322
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:14 pm
Location: melrose
Contact:

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by rossi46 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Because the corrupt/greedy Scottish politicians are better because they work at it? I guess that's one thing you can honestly say about Salmond, he puts a fair bit of effort into staying in the limelight, whatever the cost. As long as he's alright, Jack.

Now we'll have more of them doing deals, sly backhanders between England and Scotland (as if there's not enough of that already). It just opens up new opportunities for these gits.
The 'backhanders' will and do happen at all levels, from councillors to cabinet.

That's no basis on which to decide who to vote for. What's best for your country is.
Thoughts and prayers.

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Nemesis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:39 pm

My vote would be a definite no. I'm proud to be British. I'm British 1st and English 2nd. We're all on one Island (apart from N.Ireland) and like the fact you can go to all four corners of the UK and experience different views and cultures without needing a passport.

I think Salmond has been using a very anti English rhetoric with his constant repetition of Westminster, Tories, Tory, Tory, Tories. You didn't vote for the Tories you say, well guess what, I didn't get the government I voted for either for the past 4 general elections. Welcome to democracy. Funnily enough, with a sizeable Labour support north of the border which has helped successive Labour governments to power, you'd think Scotland does have a say in UK politics. However, Mr Salmond seems to forget this fact but instead likes to focus people's attention on the evil English Tories.

Not to mention a fair number of Scottish MP's helping make decisions for the whole of the UK within Westminster itself. As for the currency debacle where do you start. Yes, Mr Salmond you want Scotland to be truly independent country and don't want to be governed by Westminster but you're quite happy to adopt a would be foreign currency (£) and be dictated to by the Bank of England instead. How to be a dependent independent? Just ask the SNP.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13153
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 pm

I feel there will be little immediate change for England whatever happens. Labour will lose a lot of seats though, do the cons really want to keep Scotland therefore? :shock:
Image

User avatar
Nemesis
Posts: 1967
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Norwich, UK

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Nemesis » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:50 pm

sscott wrote:I feel there will be little immediate change for England whatever happens. Labour will lose a lot of seats though, do the cons really want to keep Scotland therefore? :shock:
Personally, I think it would be good to have as many Labour voters to keep the balance of power even. If the UK is viewed by the Scots as pro Tory now, it definitely will be if the yes vote succeeds,
Last edited by Nemesis on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 pm

"No" from me.

The way the world seems to be getting worse, I think it's more important to stick together and stay stronger. Splitting the UK up just seems like a bad idea to me.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26634
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:24 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Because the corrupt/greedy Scottish politicians are better because they work at it? I guess that's one thing you can honestly say about Salmond, he puts a fair bit of effort into staying in the limelight, whatever the cost. As long as he's alright, Jack.

Now we'll have more of them doing deals, sly backhanders between England and Scotland (as if there's not enough of that already). It just opens up new opportunities for these gits.
The 'backhanders' will and do happen at all levels, from councillors to cabinet.

That's no basis on which to decide who to vote for. What's best for your country is.
I'm not disputing it happens, just pointing out that creating more politicians creates more of all the guff that gets in the way of the important stuff. We really don't need yet another layer of this in the country.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
r0jaws
Posts: 1860
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Scotland independance - YES or NO - VOTE

Post by r0jaws » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:50 pm

I am really torn about which way to go. I lived in Scotland for a number of years, and loved it up there. However, I've lived in pretty much all four corners of the country at one time or another and I'd hate to see it split up.
If I lived there now, with my family, I genuinely would struggle to choose. I do think that Scotland is quite capable of being an independent nation, it pretty much is now anyway. I also think there is potential, if they were allowed to do their own thing.
However, the union provides so much support, and recent events with the banking collapse prove that broad shoulders count for a lot. Smaller, separate nations are more vulnerable. Giving that up for a Nationalist ideal, to me, is just not enough reason.
I think that on the day, if I was thinking of my kids future's which I would be doing, I'd have to vote No. There's just too much at stake, and the Oil will run out, eventually.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests