Can I play Elite now?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

blakespot

Can I play Elite now?

Post by blakespot » Wed May 16, 2007 9:26 pm

I've never played Elite, ever. I'm a big retro nut, and have many machines, but somehow Elite escaped me.

Of my machines, which is best for Elite? C64 maybe? Yea, I've got an Amiga and Atari ST, but seems more retro = better. OR do I play Frontier: Elite II on the Amiga instead?

Help me here. Tnx!

blakespot
:: Retro game list for iPhone & iPod touch at Touch Arcade
:: Byte Cellar - the vintage computing weblog

Emperor Fossil

Re: Can I play Elite now?

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed May 16, 2007 9:31 pm

cue: Horde of speccy fans pouring scorn on the c64 version.

Well, I'll do it for them.... I'm a big c64 fan, but I have to say the c64 version of elite isn't the one to go for, mainly due to it's flickery graphics.

You'd be better off with the speccy version, or the BBC version, or the Acorn Archimedes version (which is said to be the best).

Mind you, I believe the c64 version still offers a good game, it's just that there are better versions available.
Last edited by Emperor Fossil on Thu May 17, 2007 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

blakespot

poo

Post by blakespot » Wed May 16, 2007 9:41 pm

I have an Acorn Archie A5000 - but no screen. Well, no 15khZ screen. Hm. No 64 eh? I have a ZX 128 but no PSU that works in America. So that's out. What about ST/Amiga vers?

bp

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Wed May 16, 2007 9:55 pm

I gather the Amiga and ST versions are pretty respectable, but they replace the wireframe graphics with filled (and dither patterned) vectors, so those versions aren't quite as pleasingly retro as the pure wireframe ones.

rainbird rich

Re: Can I play Elite now?

Post by rainbird rich » Thu May 17, 2007 3:53 am

Well, IMHO the best 8-bit version is for the Spectrum, especially if you run it under emulation and crank the speed up a little (but not too much).

I never liked the ST/Amiga versions:

http://birdsanctuary.co.uk/elite/m.php
blakespot wrote:I've never played Elite, ever. I'm a big retro nut, and have many machines, but somehow Elite escaped me.

Of my machines, which is best for Elite? C64 maybe? Yea, I've got an Amiga and Atari ST, but seems more retro = better. OR do I play Frontier: Elite II on the Amiga instead?

Help me here. Tnx!

blakespot
Richard H.
http://www.birdsanctuary.co.uk
Memories of Telecomsoft

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 17, 2007 4:05 am

Of the versions available I'd go for either the Spectrum or Atari ST.

The Speccy one is a nice blend of speed and high resolution for the 8 bits. I'm biased as its the one I played at the time. I also have the C64 one and I'd avoid at all costs - I'm glad I bought it on sale as its really slow and chunky.

Atari ST is the only other version I've played extensively. Its pretty much the same game, just with filled vectors. I'd go for Atari again because I owned it, but also because the ST is marginally easier to emulate with even the PSP having a good ST emu.

On that evidence it comes down to personal preference whether you want clean vector lines or filled flat polys.

Frontier doesn't hold me like it once did.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 17, 2007 5:19 am

I'd say the best is the BBC Master/Tube enhanced version. Loads more ships, missions and great fast gameplay. The only downside is that it flickers a bit because the display isn't double buffered.

The C64 version plays OK. It's just a bit on the slow side which makes the flickery redraw all the more visible.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu May 17, 2007 5:47 am

As what the others said, the C64 version is decent but a bit slow. However it has all the missions and is a single load. I'd still go for the Beeb version though over any other ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 17, 2007 6:24 am

Yeah , BEEB version here also , thogh I would suggest playing Frontier (must be the Amiga 1200 though) as it's far more accessible , but you have to bear in mind ther are a few bugs , and it may be hard to play without an instruction manual
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu May 17, 2007 8:30 am

I've owned and played Elite on a few formats, originally on the Speccy with the joyful LensLok security system, then the Amstrad 464 and finally on the Atari ST.

In all honesty, I got most out of the Atari ST version, it looks, runs, and sounds much better than the 8 bit versions, so I would go for that.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Lorfarius

Post by Lorfarius » Thu May 17, 2007 10:22 am

Just downloaded a fan remake Oolite to play in work (hey im in IT support and Im bored :P ). WHAT a game! Just spent 2 hours flying between systems and I cant get enough. Im itching to get my hands on a BBC version now.
For all your mad retro gaming needs, regular content on a daily basis!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lorfarius

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu May 17, 2007 10:33 am

Why not try the NES version? That shouldnt be too hard to find in the US due to the systems popularity over there
Watching you sleep since 1990

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Thu May 17, 2007 10:51 am

Sega2006 wrote:Why not try the NES version? That shouldnt be too hard to find in the US due to the systems popularity over there
Somehow it would feel "wrong" to play it on a console. (Not that I don't like consoles.)

blakespot

blakespot

Post by blakespot » Thu May 17, 2007 10:56 am

FatTrucker wrote:I've owned and played Elite on a few formats, originally on the Speccy with the joyful LensLok security system, then the Amstrad 464 and finally on the Atari ST.

In all honesty, I got most out of the Atari ST version, it looks, runs, and sounds much better than the 8 bit versions, so I would go for that.
I hear the ST version runs slightly but noticeably faster than the Amiga version. (~1MHz faster) Is it, in fact, the better of the two? (I've got both an Atari 520ST and an Amiga 2000, Amiga 1200 060.)

Still...I wonder if it would be "better" to play a more retro version. I was all set to run the C64 version, as I've got a C64 setup, but people here are calling it slow. I wanted to play it on real hardware.

Like I said, I've got an Acorn A5000 but have no 15kHz screen for it. It does have VGA (31kHz) out tho - would Elite play in that mode on the A5000? Is the A5000 too fast, or is the game written such that it's all good? I think I was unable to play Zarch thru VGA-out on that thing, sadly.

blakespot

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Thu May 17, 2007 11:04 am

Fair enough, I cant play Games from the Saturn on the PC as it just dosent feel right.
Watching you sleep since 1990